Jets players have to give oral reports on their matchups

Sperm Edwards

http://jets.lohudblogs.com/2006/11/15/jets-bears-injury-report/

Coles is no longer questionable with a calf injury and listed as not practicing. For the first time this season, Coles has been upgraded to probable and was listed as practicing today.

Of course, that’s all paperwork. Nothing has kept Coles off the field on game day. One other interesting note: rookie C Nick Mangold is probable after getting poked in the eye at New England. He also practiced.

Here’s the full report:

Jets – FB B.J. Askew (foot), CB David Barrett (hip), WR Tim Dwight (thigh) and RB Cedric Houston (knee) are questionable and did not participate fully today. RB Kevan Barlow (calf), LB Matt Chatham (foot), CB Drew Coleman (thigh), WR Laveranues Coles (calf), CB Andre Dyson (ankle), LG Pete Kendall (knee), C Nick Mangold (eye), WR Justin McCareins (foot), DL Rashad Moore (hand), QB Chad Pennington and QB Patrick Ramsey (thigh) are probable and practiced.

Bears – WR Bernard Berrian (ribs), LB Leon Joe (hamstring) and CB Dante Wesley (knee) are questionable. WR Rashied Davis (shoulder) and DT Tommie Harris (back) are probable. Berrian, Joe and Davis all practiced today.

Something I found interesting out of Eric Mangini’s press conference today: He let it slip (intentionally I’m sure) that he has his players do weekly reports on the players they’re going to face. Now, each coach, to some degree, tests his players and this is something Mangini has taken away from Patriots coach Bill Belichick, who will sit in on positional meetings and orally pop quiz his players.

``It’s not a book report, necessarily,’’ Mangini said. ``But it is something that is reviewed and evaluated, critiqued. It’s just so important because it’s the game within the game, the guy you’re facing.’’

Jets safety Erik Coleman admitted he’s never quite had a coach who had him doing reports.

``When other guys present their reports, you’re taking notes, picking up pointers you might have missed,’’ Coleman said. ``I’ts been helpful to our secondary.’’

It’s a little bit different for each player. Many will give oral reports during the position meetings. Rookie wide receiver Brad Smith said he prepares a report that varies from one to three pages. Linebacker and special teams captain Matt Chatham has been standing before the team and going over the opposing team. He said he just has a knack for public presentation and it was something that Belichick noticed early in his Patriots’ career. He played there from 2000-05.

Both Mangini and Chatham acknowledged it sometimes focuses the players’ attention better if a teammate is going over the points, rather than having the coach always lecturing.

``It’s more like an oral report, like a high school speech class,’’ Chatham said.

Still, Chatham said preparing for the report, which is typically given on Thursdays, takes a large portion of his day on Mondays.

Also today, Coleman spoke for about 10 minutes on what he’s gone through this season, having his starting job taken away in Weeks 3 and 4 after he had started every game his first two NFL seasons.

``It was initially hard to deal with,’’ Coleman said. ``Like you said, I’d been used to being the guy that guys look up to, guys you go to ask questions, not that that changed. But when you’re not starting you kind, for a second, you have a little doubt. Once that second passed, I just had to go back to working hard and doing things made me successful in the past, making plays, making tackles, things that made me a leader in the secondary.

``I spoke with coach and he told me stop pressing,’’ Coleman said. ``Yeah, sure, it hurt, when your mom calls and asks what’s going on. You just have to fight through it and keep playing and keep believing in yourself.’‘

This entry was posted on Wednesday, November 15th, 2006 at 6:52 pm by Andrew Gross

--------------------------

I just love this.

http://jets.lohudblogs.com/2006/11/15/jets-bears-injury-report/

Coles is no longer questionable with a calf injury and listed as not practicing. For the first time this season, Coles has been upgraded to probable and was listed as practicing today.

Of course, that’s all paperwork. Nothing has kept Coles off the field on game day. One other interesting note: rookie C Nick Mangold is probable after getting poked in the eye at New England. He also practiced.

Here’s the full report:

Jets – FB B.J. Askew (foot), CB David Barrett (hip), WR Tim Dwight (thigh) and RB Cedric Houston (knee) are questionable and did not participate fully today. RB Kevan Barlow (calf), LB Matt Chatham (foot), CB Drew Coleman (thigh), WR Laveranues Coles (calf), CB Andre Dyson (ankle), LG Pete Kendall (knee), C Nick Mangold (eye), WR Justin McCareins (foot), DL Rashad Moore (hand), QB Chad Pennington and QB Patrick Ramsey (thigh) are probable and practiced.

Bears – WR Bernard Berrian (ribs), LB Leon Joe (hamstring) and CB Dante Wesley (knee) are questionable. WR Rashied Davis (shoulder) and DT Tommie Harris (back) are probable. Berrian, Joe and Davis all practiced today.

Something I found interesting out of Eric Mangini’s press conference today: He let it slip (intentionally I’m sure) that he has his players do weekly reports on the players they’re going to face. Now, each coach, to some degree, tests his players and this is something Mangini has taken away from Patriots coach Bill Belichick, who will sit in on positional meetings and orally pop quiz his players.

``It’s not a book report, necessarily,’’ Mangini said. ``But it is something that is reviewed and evaluated, critiqued. It’s just so important because it’s the game within the game, the guy you’re facing.’’

Jets safety Erik Coleman admitted he’s never quite had a coach who had him doing reports.

``When other guys present their reports, you’re taking notes, picking up pointers you might have missed,’’ Coleman said. ``I’ts been helpful to our secondary.’’

It’s a little bit different for each player. Many will give oral reports during the position meetings. Rookie wide receiver Brad Smith said he prepares a report that varies from one to three pages. Linebacker and special teams captain Matt Chatham has been standing before the team and going over the opposing team. He said he just has a knack for public presentation and it was something that Belichick noticed early in his Patriots’ career. He played there from 2000-05.

Both Mangini and Chatham acknowledged it sometimes focuses the players’ attention better if a teammate is going over the points, rather than having the coach always lecturing.

``It’s more like an oral report, like a high school speech class,’’ Chatham said.

Still, Chatham said preparing for the report, which is typically given on Thursdays, takes a large portion of his day on Mondays.

Also today, Coleman spoke for about 10 minutes on what he’s gone through this season, having his starting job taken away in Weeks 3 and 4 after he had started every game his first two NFL seasons.

``It was initially hard to deal with,’’ Coleman said. ``Like you said, I’d been used to being the guy that guys look up to, guys you go to ask questions, not that that changed. But when you’re not starting you kind, for a second, you have a little doubt. Once that second passed, I just had to go back to working hard and doing things made me successful in the past, making plays, making tackles, things that made me a leader in the secondary.

``I spoke with coach and he told me stop pressing,’’ Coleman said. ``Yeah, sure, it hurt, when your mom calls and asks what’s going on. You just have to fight through it and keep playing and keep believing in yourself.’‘

This entry was posted on Wednesday, November 15th, 2006 at 6:52 pm by Andrew Gross

--------------------------

I just love this.

AG is a good beat writer - this is a great story. The Jets actually have COACHING now!

Wow, I am quite impressed with that. I agree it would make a player focus more on their opposition and lend insight to the entire teams habits not just the media darlings. I wonder if other coaches do it?

Cant believe I got all that out without making a joke about the Jets giving oral to the Bears...

Yes. And like I said in the last PM to you, thank you for applying. If we have any interest we will call you.

You complete dumbass.

Verde wants to give you "oral" reports and you will "get back to her" if you have any interest?

You are a bigger dumbass than I thought you were when you started this site.

Either that, or you are a bigger homo than Tom Brady.;)

You complete dumbass.

Verde wants to give you "oral" reports and you will "get back to her" if you have any interest?

I vote for "B" - bigger homo than Brady. That V is one hot number - look at that avatar picture for cryin' out loud!

You complete dumbass.

I wasn't offering Max oral, silly. That would be offensive to Lauren.

I was making a joke about Max being gay. Haha.

You complete dumbass.

Dude my wife reads this site. I have to play it cool. lol.

So what? Herm quizzed his players too..."Hamburger, hot dog, or rib?"

Hey, someone had to man the grill :)

come on....PLEASE...somebody needs to post that captioned picture from the summer of Herm asking how 'bout those ribs....I can never find anything when I try to dredge up old posts

come on....PLEASE...somebody needs to post that captioned picture from the summer of Herm asking how 'bout those ribs....I can never find anything when I try to dredge up old posts

http://jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21102

hermhornsad6.jpg

Originally Posted by L.I.MikeBleedsGreen

You like them Ribs uh? I told you they were Hot ,Thier Burnin' my A$$ Too! Feels like I'am about to Crap out a Bottle of Tabasco!

You complete dumbass.

It's not possible to be a bigger Homo then Brady, but some of your posts put you close....

Archived