Belichick ponders wardrobe change

GimmeShelter

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=167730

FOXBORO - Could the days of Bill Belichick dressing out of the nearest trash can be coming to an end?

Anything’s possible after the league granted permission for coaches Mike Nolan of the 49ers and Jack Del Rio of the Jaguars to wear suits on the sidelines. The catch is that due to licensing deals, Reebok must design the ensembles, but perhaps something similar could be in Belichick’s future.

“I don’t see anything wrong with it at all,” said Belichick. “I think there’s something to be said for it if you think about the traditional NFL.”

Belichick’s sartorial choices would put Carson Kressley in a coma. The Pats coach is best known for wearing a sawed-off hoodie on game day, and the grimier the better. The look has become synonymous with the blue-collar work ethic of his team.

That said, Belichick recognizes also the images of Paul Brown, Tom Landry and Vince Lombardi in suits on the sidelines. Nolan made the initial request to honor his father Dick, who coached the 49ers in the 1960s and ’70s.

Belichick joked he’d have to rent a fedora, but said he might be convinced to don a suit.

“If I had an option to wear one, would I wear one?” Belichick said. “I’d consider it, yeah. I would definitely consider it.”

And what of the iconic sweatshirts?

Assured the coach: “I’m not saying I’d never wear that again.”

Archived