am I fired?

haggis

So tonight I got a call from my boss telling me to meet 1.5 hours before we open tomorrow. That doesn't sound good. He says he's "been getting heat from the top brass" about me. What could I have done?? My bvoss and I had a very laid back chat on Tuesday about things and he asked for my opinion on staff. Then on Thursday one of the owners is around and stays late. I let a cop, a regular and the chef's sister stay late Thursday night for after hours booze. I did also make mention about my boss slacking with bar cleanup after his shifts, so that may be it (but the tongue was very much in cheek). But seeing as I have known this guy for around 10 years surely he wouldn't fire me for that??? I couldn't stand losing my job right now. No way.

So tonight I got a call from my boss telling me to meet 1.5 hours before we open tomorrow. That doesn't sound good. He says he's "been getting heat from the top brass" about me. What could I have done?? My bvoss and I had a very laid back chat on Tuesday about things and he asked for my opinion on staff. Then on Thursday one of the owners is around and stays late. I let a cop, a regular and the chef's sister stay late Thursday night for after hours booze. I did also make mention about my boss slacking with bar cleanup after his shifts, so that may be it (but the tongue was very much in cheek). But seeing as I have known this guy for around 10 years surely he wouldn't fire me for that??? I couldn't stand losing my job right now. No way.

Never think that way, a lot of people are really petty and abuse power if they get it. You should be very careful what you say at work. I hope it works out okay for you, but that's a very important lesson. In the future be very careful what you say. Let us know how it works out, good luck.

You badmouthed your boss in front of an owner?

doh.jpg

Yes, but the relationship I have with both of these guys is very relaxed. I wasn't being nasty or vindictive, I just made reference to the fact that when I come in after his shift there is a lot to clean up. But it was done in a joking way. I wasn't serious and if I did have a real issue with it, I would have spoken directly with my boss. After sleeping on it, I'm certain this is the problem.

today around 10.10am. This guy is a longterm friend of over 10 years. I'll be very disappointed if he fires me right before holiday season with a new kid.

Have you seen the movie Office Space?

Show up in old clothes reeking of fish. ;-)

Good Luck.

Good luck! I don't think this is bad news at all. Who requests that someone come to work early in order to get canned? They would ask someone to cover your shift - have you come in when you usually do - and do the dirty deed then. Right? I hope.

Anyway, hoping nothing but good things for you. I'll be unemployed in two weeks and with the Holidays looming - yes, it does indeed blow.

Now he has me curious on what happened in his meeting, he knew it was not good news because his boss told him there were complaints from the top brass about him, so even if he is close with his boss because they worked together for so long, if an owner wants you gone, not much he could do.

Sucks so close to the holidays, hopefully it was just a warning or something rather than getting canned.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the concern. It actually had very little to do with Thursday night and nothing to do with what I said. Basically, long story short, the owner wants more attention to detail and made this clear to my boss who in turn puts the scare into me. Whatever. My numbers are still good, I have a decent following of customers who enjoy my hospitality, I just need to be a little more assertive and delegate more. I had a long, long, long, busy day. Just got home.

Thanks for all the concern. It actually had very little to do with Thursday night and nothing to do with what I said. Basically, long story short, the owner wants more attention to detail and made this clear to my boss who in turn puts the scare into me. Whatever. My numbers are still good, I have a decent following of customers who enjoy my hospitality, I just need to be a little more assertive and delegate more. I had a long, long, long, busy day. Just got home.

glad to hear it haggis. glad to hear you are accepting constructive critisicm liike a man & not whining. don't the wallets get a little looser tip wise this time of year as well?

best of luck. is mangini you're boss?

glad to hear it haggis. glad to hear you are accepting constructive critisicm liike a man & not whining. don't the wallets get a little looser tip wise this time of year as well?

best of luck. is mangini you're boss?

Maybe they do. Yesterday was my most profitable shift to date. Now you surely don't tip for bad service do you? ;)

It's no biggie. They just want me more of a manager and less of "just a bartender". They assumed I would be doing that, but without managerial access to certain things, it is kind of hard to know where you stand. That and poor communication with everyone lead to the blowout from the top brass this week and the subsequent filtering down of angst to all levels. But the page has been turned, and all parties are now on the same page.

Maybe they do. Yesterday was my most profitable shift to date. Now you surely don't tip for bad service do you? ;)

It's no biggie. They just want me more of a manager and less of "just a bartender". They assumed I would be doing that, but without managerial access to certain things, it is kind of hard to know where you stand. That and poor communication with everyone lead to the blowout from the top brass this week and the subsequent filtering down of angst to all levels. But the page has been turned, and all parties are now on the same page.

cool, you strike me as mgm't material & best of luck with the little one. I guess the hours must suck for ya though ehh?

Archived