Cedric Houston is BETTER than Ronnie Brown

SoFlaJets

discuss......

Houston rushes into RB picture

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

GREEN BAY - In training camp, Cedric Houston was an afterthought in the Jets' muddled running-back situation. If not for a strong performance in the final preseason game, he might have been cut.

Now he could be one of the keys in the Jets' playoff drive.

Deciding that two heads are better than three, Eric Mangini scrapped his three-pronged running back for yesterday's 38-10 victory over the Packers at Lambeau Field. He deactivated former starter Kevan Barlow and left the ground game in the hands of Houston and rookie Leon Washington.

Houston responded with the game of his life, setting career highs for yards (105), touchdowns (two) and longest run (31 yards). The Jets rushed for 178 yards, their second-best total of the season. "We had a nice mixture of Cedric and Leon," Mangini said. "They complement each other well."

Mangini said his ever-changing rotation could change again next week, although it's hard to imagine him putting Houston back in mothballs. Clearly, Houston and Washington have more big-play ability than Barlow, whose role had been shrinking the last month.

Barlow's deactivation didn't come as a surprise. He took it hard, but he didn't complain.

Barlow is the Jets' best short-yardage and goal-line runner, but Houston did nicely in that role, banging through the line for 3- and 1-yard touchdown runs to give them a 24-0 lead in the second quarter.

That Houston got 22 carries, 15 more than Washington, showed Mangini can be flexible with his rotation system. In most games, he tried to split the work load evenly. Houston appreciated the extra work. "I don't know how many carries I got, but when I got to 15 or 16, I started feeling pretty good," he said.

The Jets used their passing game to open running lanes, and gashed the Packers with misdirection plays. Brad Smith rambled 32 yards on a reverse, and Washington took a draw play for a 20-yard TD, breaking tackles in the secondary.

Fullback B.J. Askew, who blocked well for both backs, said of Houston and Washington, "You have a nice power back and a nice speed back. Teams will have a hard time dealing with that."

You knew I'd have to chime in here.

Ronnie Brown is a beast. You clowns must be smoking crack. Ronnie Brown was the only runner to decimate the Bears D Line. Ronnie Brown is better than Cedric Houston hands down, it's not even up for discussion. And if Ronnie Brown can pull his head out of his arse and start reading holes a bit better, he'll be a top 3 RB in the league, if not THE top in the league.

Ronnie Brown is a beast. You clowns must be smoking crack. Ronnie Brown was the only runner to decimate the Bears D Line. Ronnie Brown is better than Cedric Houston hands down, it's not even up for discussion. And if Ronnie Brown can pull his head out of his arse and start reading holes a bit better, he'll be a top 3 RB in the league, if not THE top in the league.

You still around?

Beast? Of what? Burden? Please.

He is an average runner and has shown nothing more than that.

He must be playing on the Super Bowl contending Dolphins.

BZ

Your season is over why don't you go away?

Cedric Houston is a good back. I've been lobbying for him to get more carries this season all off-season and throughout. It's about time to give him the type of carries that he had in the final 4 games last season. Drafting a running back Round 1 is not a need with Houston & Washington. Period.

Cedric Houston is a good back. I've been lobbying for him to get more carries this season all off-season and throughout. It's about time to give him the type of carries that he had in the final 4 games last season. Drafting a running back Round 1 is not a need with Houston & Washington. Period.

I'm not so sure about that. If we had a chance at Marshawn Lynch or AP you can't pass on those guys. Other then that i would tend to agree with you.

I'm not so sure about that. If we had a chance at Marshawn Lynch or AP you can't pass on those guys. Other then that i would tend to agree with you.

The only guy I'd take is APete and there's no way we're getting in the Top 5 to draft him.

yea I agree 124-I'm thinking either a road grader guard or a shutdown CB whichever grades out best

And if my Grandmother had wheels, she'd be a trolley car................:baby: .

The point is, he is not a top back in the NFL now. Not even close.

Just like picking the Jets to lose week after week after week just like you did!

BZ

And I still will. I hate the Jets and wish them nothing but the worst in football. I will always hate on the Jets. Hate. Hate. Hate. Aghhhh. I can't believe you spanked the Packers last week. This is a nightmare:Cuss:

And I still will. I hate the Jets and wish them nothing but the worst in football. I will always hate on the Jets. Hate. Hate. Hate. Aghhhh. I can't believe you spanked the Packers last week. This is a nightmare:Cuss:

Yeah, that same team that put up 34 points against you at HOME!

Sad.

BZ

Archived