Schiano tells Miami he is staying at Rutgers

faba

Schiano tells Miami he's not leaving Rutgers

ESPN.com news services

After coming within a 52-yard field goal of bringing Rutgers its first Big East title in school history, Greg Schiano has risen to the top of many schools' wish lists this holiday season. But his wish is to stay at Rutgers.

AP Photo/Mel Evans

Greg Schiano turned down Miami to continue building on his recent Rutgers success.

Schiano said at his weekly news conference Monday that he he talked with Miami in the last 24 hours about its vacant coaching job, but he told the school he's staying at Rutgers.

Schiano has a pre-existing relationship with Miami athletic director Paul Dee, having served as Miami's defensive coordinator from 1999-2000. Rutgers struggled for years before its resurgence under Schiano, who on Friday was named Home Depot's coach of the year. This year, the Scarlet Knights won their first nine games and were ranked as high as No. 7 before going 1-2 down the stretch.

Despite that disappointment, Schiano said, his team won't let down for the Texas Bowl.

"Certainly, there's disappointment," he said. "We had an opportunity to be in the BCS, and more importantly to be league champions. To come close and not get it hurts.

"But in 137 years of football, we've only been to two bowl games, so we're thrilled to be going to another bowl game -- and for the first time in our history, to be going to back-to-back bowl games." No. 13 Rutgers fell short of the Big East title and their first BCS berth with a 41-39, triple-overtime loss at No. 15 West Virginia on Saturday. The defeat gave Louisville the Big East's automatic bid as conference champion.

Rutgers' 10-2 season was its best since going 11-0 in 1976. On Sunday, the Scarlet Knights accepted an invitation to the Texas Bowl on Dec. 28 in Houston, where they will take on Kansas State.

Miami has been in the market for a coach since the school fired Larry Coker on Nov. 24, a day after the Hurricanes beat Boston College 17-14 to salvage a 6-6 season. Coker, 59-15 with one national championship in his six years in Coral Gables, will coach the Canes in the MPC Computers Bowl on Dec. 31.

Is he waiting for Penn State?

I seriously doubt PSU will go outside when Joe does step down.

Schiano will cash in somewhere, eventuyally.

Probably. Maybe the U should spend some of that Emerald money on upgrading their facilties.

Has anyone left JoePa's staff? Ever? Aren't they all as old as him?

he's gonna cash in at home.

Mike- 10-2 with Rutgers gets you teh Texas Bowl. 10-2 in a major conference gets you BCS recognition.

Rutgers has a 50,000 seat stadium in a limited conference with fair recruiting exposure. A Penn State gives you 104,000, with luxury boxes, ample booster support and a tremendous recruiting base. It is NATIONAL recognition.

Unless Schiano is totally egoless, there is not a chance that he would resist the call to the right program in teh right conference.

Sorry, but the Rutgers football job is not one that coaches traditionally strive for as their resting place. It is just the way it is. Trust me, any money that Rutgers can give, can be had elsewhere.

I don't believe it will be PSU, but there have been whispers. I don't know the man either. Unles he is totally altrusitic, Rutgers will not be a long stay.

Mike- 10-2 with Rutgers gets you teh Texas Bowl. 10-2 in a major conference gets you BCS recognition.

Rutgers has a 50,000 seat stadium in a limited conference with fair recruiting exposure. A Penn State gives you 104,000, with luxury boxes, ample booster support and a tremendous recruiting base. It is NATIONAL recognition.

Unless Schiano is totally egoless, there is not a chance that he would resist the call to the right program in teh right conference.

Sorry, but the Rutgers football job is not one that coaches traditionally strive for as their resting place. It is just the way it is. Trust me, any money that Rutgers can give, can be had elsewhere.

I don't believe it will be PSU, but there have been whispers. I don't know the man either. Unles he is totally altrusitic, Rutgers will not be a long stay.

If it's not PSU he's not going anywhere. He's going to get paid and The only reason a 10-2 team from the big east isn't in the BCS is money and the names of teams. There is NO REASON you can't make BCS games in the big east and Rutgers is in as good as position as any team to do that over the long haul right now.

Somewhere in NY Jetcane is staring at a box of tissues thinking, is this cryable? And the answer my dear friend, Yes, it is. Because now, who is going to the U? Not Schiano. Not Spurrier. Who?
They should've hired Butch Davis when they had the chance to bring him back.

If it's not PSU he's not going anywhere. He's going to get paid and The only reason a 10-2 team from the big east isn't in the BCS is money and the names of teams. There is NO REASON you can't make BCS games in the big east and Rutgers is in as good as position as any team to do that over the long haul right now.

And that money and Name of the teams will REMAIN to be a problem. The BIG EAST has recognition problems and will never measure to teh big coinferences.

That is a fact and a reality.

Unless Schiano is truly in love, or afraid, he will move. It is just the way the coaching hierarchy works.

Name for me one coach that stayed and was content to stay at a smaller school when the others beckoned? I can think of Lavelle Edwards, and BYU is certainly not a small school, but wiull acept it for this dialogue.

Look at what Dan Hawkins did at Boise.

And that money and Name of the teams will REMAIN to be a problem. The BIG EAST has recognition problems and will never measure to teh big coinferences.

That is a fact and a reality.

Unless Schiano is truly in love, or afraid, he will move. It is just the way the coaching hierarchy works.

Name for me one coach that stayed and was content to stay at a smaller school when the others beckoned? I can think of Lavelle Edwards, and BYU is certainly not a small school, but wiull acept it for this dialogue.

Look at what Dan Hawkins did at Boise.

Comparing Rutgers to Boise is stupid. Rutgers is just as big of a school as any of the major football powers in the country and they are sitting on top of a recruiting GOLD MINE in new jersey. There is NO REASON AT ALL why Rutgers can't be a national football power year in and year out. There is a reason why rodriguez and patrino are staying in the big east just like GS is staying the big east was the 2nd ranked conference this year according to the majority of the polls and there is no reason for that to change with up and coming teams like cincy and south florida.

Why is it that when people disagree with you (which is quite often), you call them "haters"?

This wasn't just a disagreement you were clearly hating on rutgers, saying we're a joke and that any coach would bolt. You were wrong and i was right if only you were man enough to take your medicine and admit it.

Comparing Rutgers to Boise is stupid. Rutgers is just as big of a school as any of the major football powers in the country and they are sitting on top of a recruiting GOLD MINE in new jersey. There is NO REASON AT ALL why Rutgers can't be a national football power year in and year out. There is a reason why rodriguez and patrino are staying in the big east just like GS is staying the big east was the 2nd ranked conference this year according to the majority of the polls and there is no reason for that to change with up and coming teams like cincy and south florida.

Yeah, they are such a strong conference that their 2nd best team goes to the Texas Bowl.

What recognition.

BTW-Penn State, which had a lousy year and finished with 4 losses. Well, they are going to The Outback Bowl on New Years Day. Which will bring their program much more recognition and money.

Congrats on your new found presige and glory. That paid off handsomely. You get to play on teh NFL Network, where maybe 1/2 of the country can see you.

RECRUITING BONANZA.

Yeah, they are such a strong conference that their 2nd best team goes to the Texas Bowl.

What recognition.

BTW-Penn State, which had a lousy year and finished with 4 losses. Well, they are going to The Outback Bowl on New Years Day. Which will bring their program much more recognition and money.

Congrats on your new found presige and glory. That paid off handsomely. You get to play on teh NFL Network, where maybe 1/2 of the country can see you.

RECRUITING BONANZA.

The 2nd team in the big east is going to the gator bowl because of ND and no team can beat them in that category.

The 2nd team in the big east is going to the gator bowl because of ND and no team can beat them in that category.

So you admit that Rutgers was the 3rd best in that conference? I wasn't sure you would admit that.

PSU was 4thg in theirs. See the difference?

Major Bowls are not exactly scrambling over themselves to align with the Big East.

So you admit that Rutgers was the 3rd best in that conference? I wasn't sure you would admit that.

PSU was 4thg in theirs. See the difference?

Major Bowls are not exactly scrambling over themselves to align with the Big East.

Rutgers is right there with WVU and louisville and we're better then some teams that are playing in the BCS because of where they started out and what their name is. Did i say the big 10 is worse then the big east? I don't remember saying that. That doesn't mean that we can't compete for national titles yearly.

Rutgers is right there with WVU and louisville and we're better then some teams that are playing in the BCS because of where they started out and what their name is. Did i say the big 10 is worse then the big east? I don't remember saying that. That doesn't mean that we can't compete for national titles yearly.

If Rutgers went UNDEFEATED, they would not be playing Ohio State this year.

THAT is why you can't compete for National titles annually.

And that is why Schiano would be hard pressed to stay. As well as relative small time facilities and stadium and boosters. They just don't add up.

If Rutgers went UNDEFEATED, they would not be playing Ohio State this year.

THAT is why you can't compete for National titles annually.

And that is why Schiano would be hard pressed to stay. As well as relative small time facilities and stadium and boosters. They just don't add up.

You're wrong about that. 12-0 rutgers would've been above florida the way things worked out. NO ONE wanted to see florida in this game.

You're wrong about that. 12-0 rutgers would've been above florida the way things worked out. NO ONE wanted to see florida in this game.

Tell me how an undeafeted Louisville, WVU and Rutgers were NOT ahead of one loss Michigan or Florida.

If they wanted to put just an undefeated team from a mid conference, they would have put Boise State there.

NO WAY an undefeated Rutgers goes to teh Nat Championship. That is flat wrong.

Tell me how an undeafeted Louisville, WVU and Rutgers were NOT ahead of one loss Michigan or Florida.

If they wanted to put just an undefeated team from a mid conference, they would have put Boise State there.

NO WAY an undefeated Rutgers goes to teh Nat Championship. That is flat wrong.

LOL @ THE BIG EAST BEING A MID CONFERENCE. Louivville would've made the NC game at 12-0 and rutgers would've too. Florida is only in the game because they don't want a mismatch not because florida deserves to be there.

LOL @ THE BIG EAST BEING A MID CONFERENCE. Louivville would've made the NC game at 12-0 and rutgers would've too. Florida is only in the game because they don't want a mismatch not because florida deserves to be there.

Mike-You are so off base, and misinformed on the subject.

Florida played the most difficult schedule in the country. They played a conference championship game.

When Rutgers was UNDEFEATED, they were .19 behind the BCS leader and second place team at the time.

There is ZERO chance they would have made that ground up unless the team had 2 losses. ZERO. IMPOSSIBLE.

I am glad that you enjoyed the spotlight this year. It also was your first go round in this rodeo, so please don't make statements that make no sense.

Mike-You are so off base, and misinformed on the subject.

Florida played the most difficult schedule in the country. They played a conference championship game.

When Rutgers was UNDEFEATED, they were .19 behind the BCS leader and second place team at the time.

There is ZERO chance they would have made that ground up unless the team had 2 losses. ZERO. IMPOSSIBLE.

I am glad that you enjoyed the spotlight this year. It also was your first go round in this rodeo, so please don't make statements that make no sense.

Sorry you're the one who's wrong. Florida has beaten NO ONE this year except some mediocre SEC teams in an unimpressive fashion. NO ONE wanted florida to be in this game and rutgers was ranked ahead of them in the computers all year until we lost and there is NO CHANCE that a 1 loss florida team would've made the NC game over us if we were 12-0 or louisville for that matter. That fact they beat a mediocore team in their conference titles game means NOTHING.

Sorry you're the one who's wrong. Florida has beaten NO ONE this year except some mediocre SEC teams in an unimpressive fashion.

Florida played the most difficult schedule of any team in the nation this year.

Why don't you do a little research before making yet another assinine comment.

They were too scared to play louisville and they played some mediocore SEC teams that always beat up on each other. They wouldn't have made the game.

if anybody should be playing the buckeyes it should be the wolverines there only loss came against them and it was by three points...

Sorry you're the one who's wrong. Florida has beaten NO ONE this year except some mediocre SEC teams in an unimpressive fashion. NO ONE wanted florida to be in this game and rutgers was ranked ahead of them in the computers all year until we lost and there is NO CHANCE that a 1 loss florida team would've made the NC game over us if we were 12-0 or louisville for that matter. That fact they beat a mediocore team in their conference titles game means NOTHING.

Unfortunately for you, computers are 1/3 the poll, humans are 2/3.

Your comment on the SEC is just stupid. To compare them to the Big East would be ridiculous.

Your comment that "no one wanted to see Florida in the game" is equally as wrong as the human polls had Florida ahead of the undefeated Rutgers on November 12. Wow, you were practically wrong on all accounts.

great job.

Unfortunately for you, computers are 1/3 the poll, humans are 2/3.

Your comment on the SEC is just stupid. To compare them to the Big East would be ridiculous.

Your comment that "no one wanted to see Florida in the game" is equally as wrong as the human polls had Florida ahead of the undefeated Rutgers on November 12. Wow, you were practically wrong on all accounts.

great job.

Rutgers would've been above florida at 12-0. there is no doubt in my mind. florida has been EXTREAMLY unimpressive all year.

Archived