Giants postpone announcement on Coughlin's status

ECURB

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2725854

The New York Giants are likely to retain embattled head coach Tom Coughlin, but a conference call originally scheduled for Tuesday afternoon to discuss his status was postponed as organizational meetings continued.

According to ESPN they are going to keep him around...

Thats acually mildly shocking...

If I was a team and was borderline on my coach, and did not see GREAT prospects for a coaching candidate to replace the departed coach, I may wait a year.

With Cowher looming next year and maybe Fisher, I may take a calculated risk.

It is a hard thing for a franchise to be in "wait" mode, by if I am in a "toss-up" mode, I may just wait this year.

If I was a team and was borderline on my coach, and did not see GREAT prospects for a coaching candidate to replace the departed coach, I may wait a year.

With Cowher looming next year and maybe Fisher, I may take a calculated risk.

It is a hard thing for a franchise to be in "wait" mode, by if I am in a "toss-up" mode, I may just wait this year.

Scott you nailed it. Who is out there that they can bring in now that will fix this problem? Can't get rid of all those players. So I send them a message. Listen to your coach.

Scott you nailed it. Who is out there that they can bring in now that will fix this problem? Can't get rid of all those players. So I send them a message. Listen to your coach.

I could write a whole article on this, but we are in the era of the dispensible coach. And, coaches seeing that swing are now going on the offensive and directing their own futures, rather than being dictated to.

What we saw in the beginning of the 90's was the new-era of the free agent player, and we worried what it would do to the sport. It has changed the sport, and some teams have taken advantage of that.

Now, we are staring at the era of the free-agent coach. And that is a dangerous thing. A franchise needs stability, and the coach should be the epitome of that.

The NFL has allowed a few side-glances at some pretty shakey deals (Herm among them), and they really need to get this under control. It can undermine them in a big way.

Regarding Cowher, how does this work? His contract with Pittsburgh was through the 2007 season & he retired with 1 year left on it.

So Pittsburgh would of course retain his rights since he quit on them & not vice versa.

Does Pittsburgh retain these rights (which really amounts to required compensation more than rights) indefinitely? I thought they did, but am unsure. If not, I would think any coach would just do that; stick it out that 1 last year then you can go wherever you want & your new team doesn't have to surrender valuable draft picks (minimum first rounder in Cowher's case) at the start of your tenure there.

Regarding Cowher, how does this work? His contract with Pittsburgh was through the 2007 season & he retired with 1 year left on it.

So Pittsburgh would of course retain his rights since he quit on them & not vice versa.

Does Pittsburgh retain these rights (which really amounts to required compensation more than rights) indefinitely? I thought they did, but am unsure. If not, I would think any coach would just do that; stick it out that 1 last year then you can go wherever you want & your new team doesn't have to surrender valuable draft picks (minimum first rounder in Cowher's case) at the start of your tenure there.

If a coach retires (leaves) they retain rights to him until the contract expires.

The Jets could have allowed Belichick to sit for 2 or 3 years as I recall, and retained rights to him.

If a coach retires (leaves) they retain rights to him until the contract expires.

The Jets could have allowed Belichick to sit for 2 or 3 years as I recall, and retained rights to him.

So then Pittsburgh has rights to Cowher through the end of the 2007 season then he's a "free agent coach" of sorts?

So then Pittsburgh has rights to Cowher through the end of the 2007 season then he's a "free agent coach" of sorts?

Yes, Mr Moderator.

(Of course, he could already have some hand picked coordinators enter his job of choice as a "temporary head coach" and he could come on to that club as a "consultant" with the option to becoime coach next year). Of course, no one would have the audacity to do that.

Archived