New NFL Drug/Steroid policy.

DonCorleone

Please let me apologize in advance if this has already been posted.

I heard on Mike and Mike that the NFL and the players association have reached an agreement on a new Drug and Steroids policy. For the first time the NFL will be able to actually "draw blood" from a player. They will be testing for HGH as well as all other forms of hormone based enhancers. I believe that this is the first step in a REAL testing system since masking agents will be immediately detected in the blood stream and some of them leave traces in the blood system for an extended period of time. The new policy also increases the ammount of times that the same player can be tested during the year from 2 times to 6 times. IMO this will result in much smaller players as well as a drop in production for some of the great players. I like to refer to the "Sammy Sosa" effect. Once he stopped the steroids, he dropped about 25-35 lbs (depending on various reports, and became a below average player in his last year. I think that we will shocked from the drop in production of certain individuals as I am sure that many of the players that use performance enhancer are some that we would never suspect. While I am sure that many of our players will also shrink, I would not mind a leveled playing field. I sincerely want to see what Zach Thomas and Tedy Bruschi will look like during the next season (just to name a few).

There is no player in football I don't suspect. I'm betting there are going to be plenty of towel boys with sore arms from all the blood they'll be donating. At this point I don't believe the NFL wants real enforcement. Smaller, slower players will not sell tickets.

I think that the reason behind the test is that there are too many smoking guns. Too many former NFL players are broke and down in the dumps, willing to sign their name to books. Mark my words, there is a smoking gun out there, and not many will be spared.

I think that the reason behind the test is that there are too many smoking guns. Too many former NFL players are broke and down in the dumps, willing to sign their name to books. Mark my words, there is a smoking gun out there, and not many will be spared.

Will anybody care? Lyle Alzado was a long time ago and there hasn't been any wholesale change.

Will anybody care? Lyle Alzado was a long time ago and there hasn't been any wholesale change.

I don't think that the point is if people care or not, the point is that if this system is real, and I believe that it is, you will find that some of the great players will be reduced to much less, or nothing of what they used to be.

I don't think that the point is if people care or not, the point is that if this system is real, and I believe that it is, you will find that some of the great players will be reduced to much less, or nothing of what they used to be.

The reason it is relevant is because they will only have real enforcement if it bites them in the wallet. I don't believe for one minute the NFLPA will allow blood testing. The latest policy was out yesterday and as far as I know falls short of blood tests and testing for HGH.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/ny-spnfl0125,0,5395837.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

I suspect every player in football. I'm betting there are going to be plenty of towel boys with sore arms from all the blood they'll be donating. At this point I don't believe the NFL wants real enforcement. Smaller, slower players will not sell tickets.

The NFL wants more offense. When these 340 pound guys no longer run a 5.0 - 40 it will help. I really believe if there was no drugs the offense would benefit.

The reason it is relevant is because they will only have real enforcement if it bites them in the wallet. I don't believe for one minute the NFLPA will allow blood testing. The latest policy was out yesterday and as far as I know falls short of blood tests and testing for HGH.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/ny-spnfl0125,0,5395837.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

they will do blood tests.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2741136

I do not see blood tests being done according to that article. It states they will test for EPO which is a "blood booster." That does not mean the players will take the needle. HGH requires a blood test. Until they can test for HGH it's a toothless system. Blood tests are a huge step and when they are granted the first lawsuit will be in 4, 3, 2...

It specifically states: "Urine will be tested, not blood, for EPO."

I do not see blood tests being done according to that article. It states they will test for EPO which is a "blood booster." That does not mean the players will take the needle. HGH requires a blood test. Until they can test for HGH it's a toothless system. Blood tests are a huge step and when they are granted the first lawsuit will be in 4, 3, 2...

It specifically states: "Urine will be tested, not blood, for EPO."

You are correct. I misread. However Espn radio this morning did announce that they would be taking blood. Did anyone else catch mike and mike at about 7 am?

I suspect every player in football. I'm betting there are going to be plenty of towel boys with sore arms from all the blood they'll be donating. At this point I don't believe the NFL wants real enforcement. Smaller, slower players will not sell tickets.

Solid work on this thread #27.

Plus, you saved me the time of reading the article.

;)

You are correct. I misread. However Espn radio this morning did announce that they would be taking blood. Did anyone else catch mike and mike at about 7 am?

Wouldn't be the first time the press made a mistake. Isn't Russ Grimm coaching the Steelers?

The "blood boosting agent" was probably confused with blood testing, or they thought that blood tests were necessary to find it. Blood tests are considered extremely invasive and I don't forsee them being forced anytime soon.

Key changes to the steroid policy adopted by the NFL and its players' union Wednesday:

1. Blood boosting substance EPO added to list of banned supstances. NFL will be only North American professional sports league to regularly test for EPO.
  2. Players suspended for using performance-enhancing drugs will forfeit a prorated portion of their signing bonuses.
  3. Increase from seven to 10 of the number of players on each team randomly tested each week during the season. Also, the unpredictability of random testing during the season and offseason increased.
  4. All players now will be subject to random carbon isotope ratio testing, previously used only to confirm positive tests. Test used to detect doses of testosterone.
  5. The NFL agreed to a $500,000 grant to the UCLA Olympic testing laboratory and other researchers for further testing on HGH. The league also will establish a group to study issues related to HGH.
  6. The NFL Youth Football fund has approved a $1.2 million steroids education fund at the Center for Health Promotion Research at the Oregon Health and Science University (OHSU) in Portland, Ore.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9951711

1. In order not to allow the US Congress into investigation of HGH & other muscle inhancements, the NFL & NFLPA throw in this bone.
  2. By hitting at the signing bonus, the NFLPA will keep an even harder eye on their players
  3. You now stand the better chance of being tested at least three times during a regular season - will allow the NFL to maintain a better level of changes to the body
  4. The crackdown on HGH gets even higher with this testing - The CARBON ISOTOPE RATIO TEST IS A MORE DEFINED URINE TEST THAT HAS GOTTEN A LOT OF PRESS RECENTLY DUE TO THE "Tour De France".
  5. Should MLB suffer heavily by the Congressional probe into HGH, the NFL will take the high road, again to throw the government a bone
  6. There is a pending Class-Action suit by families of students who have taken steiroids on the college, high school & junior high level - based on the Balco case, that are prepairing to take on the NFL

It's all a legal thing, that's why the NFLPA agreed on the changes.

Oh & 27-THE-DOMINATOR, the crackdown is going to happen - THERE WILL BE BLOOD TESTS THAT WILL INVOLVE EVERY NFL PLAYER! See my responce to #1 & 6...

Archived