I would much rather build throught the draft than FA

Look at what we did in the draft last year... We drafted a future all pro center in Nick Mangold, we went and drafted a franchise LT in Ferguson, we drafted a great change of pace back in L.Washington in the 4th round. We drafted J.Vilma... We drafted K.Rhodes and J.Cotchery... Yea it would be nice 2 get a top-notch FA but you know what? We may have a great draft this year...

Look at what we did in the draft last year... We drafted a future all pro center in Nick Mangold, we went and drafted a franchise LT in Ferguson, we drafted a great change of pace back in L.Washington in the 4th round. We drafted J.Vilma... We drafted K.Rhodes and J.Cotchery... Yea it would be nice 2 get a top-notch FA but you know what? We may have a great draft this year...

We did all that and the Patsies cleaned our clock in the playoffs. They also made big moves in free agency and have more draft picks than us (including two first rounders).

Building exclusively through the draft is fighting with one hand tied behind our back. We need free agents as well as draft picks and there is no time like the present to sign them.

We did all that and the Patsies cleaned our clock in the playoffs. They also made big moves in free agency and have more draft picks than us (including two first rounders).

Building exclusively through the draft is fighting with one hand tied behind our back. We need free agents as well as draft picks and there is no time like the present to sign them.

I see exactly where your coming from, and its true. If you draft 1 player who turns out to be solid starters than you had a good draft, if you draft 2 solid starters you had a very good draft, if you draft 3 solid starters you've had an outstanding draft.

building through the draft however means something different...

It means instead of signing guys from other teams, you keep your own guys.

We don't lose a lot of players, but we don't acquire many new ones..

Its kind of boring yes, but the longer a team is with eachother the better they are.

Also, this free agency isn't too enticing.

We need a solid corner(without paying 8/80 for one) and DLINEMAN

There are no dlineman on the market unfourtanatley..

The one free agent I would have liked them to go after is Joey Porter.. The Jets however, probably feel that he wouldn't fit in, and may break up the chemistry.

I see exactly where your coming from, and its true. If you draft 1 player who turns out to be solid starters than you had a good draft, if you draft 2 solid starters you had a very good draft, if you draft 3 solid starters you've had an outstanding draft.

building through the draft however means something different...

It means instead of signing guys from other teams, you keep your own guys.

We don't lose a lot of players, but we don't acquire many new ones..

Its kind of boring yes, but the longer a team is with eachother the better they are.

Also, this free agency isn't too enticing.

We need a solid corner(without paying 8/80 for one) and DLINEMAN

There are no dlineman on the market unfourtanatley..

The one free agent I would have liked them to go after is Joey Porter.. The Jets however, probably feel that he wouldn't fit in, and may break up the chemistry.

Nice post.

I agree 100%.

You need a mixture to try to complete a team but the only way to have long term success is to draft key players to your team that will create some stability and long term success.

Build a complete team with smart players who don't break the bank. Then seek out upgrades at your weakest spots, or with players who have talent at positions that are hard to find (OT, NT, C) or where players routinely fall short of their pre-draft promise (WR, CB).

Archived