Seen it on TV...AG's latest blog

SoFlaJets

(AG is Andrew Gross for those that didn't know)

March 14

So what does a Jets’ beat writer do after his wife and kids have gone to sleep? Apparently, he watches the NFL Network.

At least he does when the network is focusing on the Jets. But before you guys label me as a total sports geek, let me at least mention that I kept flicking back to a pretty insane South Park episode during the commercials.

Linebacker Jonathan Vilma was on to discuss the ``State of the Jets.’’ Nothing really revelatory but I’ll give you some highlights.

Rich Eisen asked about the offseason trade rumors involving Vilma, specifically, the one dealing with the Redskins.

``Rich, I have no idea,’’ Vilma said. ``It got blown way out of proportion.’’

Vilma said he got about 20 phone calls asking him what was going on.

Marshall Faulk asked about Vilma’s performance in the 3-4 and whether he might not be better suited for the 4-3. Vilma actually replied that it was a good question and one he hadn’t been asked before, which floored me because nearly everybody covering the Jets asked Vilma or coach Eric Mangini about that multiple times last season.

Faulk also talked about how the Jets went to the 3-4 later in the season, which I’m assuming was just a slip of the tongue on Faulk’s part. More on Faulk in a minute.

Vilma said of the 3-4, ``For me, it’s about getting better. However they use me, they use me. If I make plays in it, it’s better for us.’’

Vilma also called coach Eric Mangini ``very detailed,’’ and his approach, ``very methodical.’’

Vilma also made an interesting point about how the offensive and defensive systems were new last year but the special teams had continuity under Mike Westhoff.

``For us, it’s basically a situation where we’re trying to catch up to our special teams,’’ Vilma said. ``(Next season), we won’t have the bumps and bruises we did in the first part of the season. We can start focusing on the details.’’

The interview ended with either Eisen or Faulk – I didn’t catch which one – joking that Vilma had said he wanted to be in the middle of a 4-3.

``Any other questions you want to throw out?” Vilma joked back.

As for Faulk, I was actually very impressed with his television presence – in reality, I’m not sitting in front of my TV every night watching the NFL Network. He was poised, upbeat and knowledgeable. In fact, Tiki Barber might be hard pressed to do as good a job as Faulk seems to be doing.

Some Faulk observations:

On last season: ``It wasn’t a one-hit wonder. Mangini came in and changed the culture of the team.’’ Mangini showed his players they would, ``not be outcoached.’’

On Pennington: ``He’s a Super Bowl quarterback. He provides a winning attitude. A lot of quarterbacks are prima donnas in this league. He doesn’t have the best arm. What he does have is accountability.’’

On the team’s needs: A pass rushing linebacker, a big-target wide receiver and a safety. (Actually, I’d go cornerback before safety).

Faulk added the acquisition of Thomas Jones gives the Jets ``accountability’’ at that position and will allow them to show play action more.

Finally, I got a reply from our technical staff that I believe relates directly to Mark’s problem. Here is what the computer-smart people told me:

``The hash errors they cite were directly related to the old server malfunction. They should be cleared up from now on. Also, if the guy can visit other lohud blogs from his home computer and post then that means his IP is fine. We were still having some residual blog problems yesterday.’’

Today, too. There were several e-mails sent out that went something like this – blogs are down, blogs are up, blogs are down, blogs are up…

I think we’re up. But if anybody still has problems posting, please let me know.

OK, I’m going to go back to watching TV now. I think I can flip between Return of the Jedi and a Family Guy episode.

Yeah "Accountability" is gonna get us to the promiseland and Chad's arm gets us to the first round then Chad's arm does the rest.One and Done:bag:

Chad is not, and will continue to not be the problem. We are addressing the areas most necessary to improve, and are looking to have 100% flexibility come the draft, as far as needs are concerned.

Moving on, the argument that accountability is not important is laughable.

It's the complete opposite.
:eek:

Accountability is what is vital, esp at QB, but really, it's what you look to achieve at every position, as a coach.

Accountability, is needed at as many positions as possible, on a given team. In turn, making that team capable, of making that SB run
:eek:

We have the starting QB spot checked off. End of story.
:yawn:

Archived