3-4 isn't under Vilma's Skin....Cimini's Blog

SoFlaJets

Thursday, March 15th 2007, 4:00 AM

Jets linebacker Jonathan Vilma was besieged with phone calls recently when a blurb in a Washington, D.C. newspaper, perhaps fueled by rampant Internet rumors, suggested he could be traded to the Redskins. It became such a hot topic that Vilma discussed it with Redskins RB Clinton Portis, a former college teammate.

The only reason Vilma's name has surfaced in trade rumors is because of his struggles last season in Eric Mangini's 3-4 defense. But yesterday, in an interview with the NFL Network, Vilma seemed happy and optimistic that he'll be more productive in 2007.

"For me, it really doesn't matter which system I'm in as long as I'm put in a position to be successful," he said in his first interview of the offseason. "The last half of the season I started playing a lot better than the first half. I attributed that to getting used to the system, getting used to the 3-4."

The Jets aren't believed to be shopping Vilma, though he'd be their most valuable bargaining chip if they ever attempt a dramatic trade-up in next month's draft. A rival executive recently asked the Jets about Vilma, and was told they're not interested in trading him, according to an NFL source.

Of the rumors, Vilma said: "The day it came out (in the paper), we had 20 phone calls. People were asking me, 'You can't go, you can't leave, you can't go to Washington.'" The Skins have since signed MLB London Fletcher.

Rich Cimini

Good, now maybe we can put these ridiculous rumors to rest. Vilma is a rare talent and there is no way I would ever endorse trading the guy. It's insanity to think otherwise. Just because a bunch of over-paid, under-knowledged (is that a word ... lol) morons that work in the sportscasting and writing fields everyone seems to think Vilma doesn't fit. "Oh my God, he's only 230 pounds. He just doesn't fit in the 3-4." All I can say is that I hope to see Vilma in a Jets uniform for the next 10 years.

Good, now maybe we can put these ridiculous rumors to rest. Vilma is a rare talent and there is no way I would ever endorse trading the guy. It's insanity to think otherwise. Just because a bunch of over-paid, under-knowledged (is that a word ... lol) morons that work in the sportscasting and writing fields everyone seems to think Vilma doesn't fit. "Oh my God, he's only 230 pounds. He just doesn't fit in the 3-4." All I can say is that I hope to see Vilma in a Jets uniform for the next 10 years.

Although I like Vilma and wouldn't mind seeing him stick around, IMO calling him a rare talent is a bit of a stretch. Urlacher is a rare talent, Vilma is a serviceable NFL LB....

Although I like Vilma and wouldn't mind seeing him stick around, IMO calling him a rare talent is a bit of a stretch. Urlacher is a rare talent, Vilma is a serviceable NFL LB....

Your kidding right?

Urlacher struggled worse than any LB I have ever seen without good DT's infront of him. He is great in pass coverage but a puss against the run without big bodies upfront.

No. I don't believe he is a rare talent, and unfortunately the stats back up that statement. If you believe differently that is your prerogative.....

Both of them had ZERO sacks this year... Vilma was in a new system... last year he was right on par... Vilma is a rare talent at LB

This guy has had every reason to be pissed off and complain and yet he still remains optimistic and professional. He is the epitome of a Mangini player and I have no doubt he will be much better next year. Also, Vilma in the right system (which is prob. not what he is going to get with the Jets) is a top 3-4 LB IMO.

Archived