Is Jamarcus Russell a cant miss QB?

Matt39

I dont think so for the football players, at least not at schools that have any semblance of academic standards, which LSU does not. And those that do stop going dont help themselves one bit.

if i knew i was a first round pick, i'd hang up the books and be on the practice field or in the gym 12 hrs a day. don't blame him one bit. he can go back to school if he hurts himself but every spot he climbs in the draft is worth a million bucks or more. this guy made a rational choice to bag the books for now. you're argument is like lamblasting someone who wins powerball for not getting a degree. can always get that later.

edit: i do have to laugh seeing this argument from a miami fan :)

I dont think so for the football players, at least not at schools that have any semblance of academic standards, which LSU does not. And those that do stop going dont help themselves one bit.

agree, i am just telling you taht in most cases the juniors who declare usually stop going 2nd semester. They start a training regime for the February combines. Regardless of what quality school they go to.

The quality of school usually means they will return in summers to get their degrees.

UNC-Chapel Hill is famous for kids returning in summer for their degrees,, but they usually start training for Combine right after season..

The real turd programs are the ones where kids who know they are going pro stop going to class during football semester. Janikowski at FSU is most famous case of not attending one class during his final season. NCAA eligibility is based on previous semester.

agree, i am just telling you taht in most cases the juniors who declare usually stop going 2nd semester. They start a training regime for the February combines. Regardless of what quality school they go to.

The quality of school usually means they will return in summers to get their degrees.

UNC-Chapel Hill is famous for kids returning in summer for their degrees,, but they usually start training for Combine right after season..

The real turd programs are the ones where kids who know they are going pro stop going to class during football semester. Janikowski at FSU is most famous case of not attending one class during his final season. NCAA eligibility is based on previous semester.

Yep, FSU is way down on this list for graduating its ballplayers.

Janikowski is, like you said, the famous case.

I've only seen one truly "can't miss" QB in all my years watching football and that's when I was a kid and first got into the sport. That QB was John Elway. He was the LeBron James, Sidney Crosby of his era -- the type of player teams would've tanked games to draft. Haven't seen another one since.

As great as Manning was/is, there was the whole Ryan Leaf thing.

I posted this at DD.com and I really believe it -- teams are too darn attached to drafting QB's#1 overall and it's totally stupid and counterproductive.....Tim Couch, Michael Vick, David Carr and Alex Smith should've never even been considered as #1 picks, but the media and fans seem to need to push QB's to go #1 overall for some silly reason.....:banned:

For the record, I think both Jamarcus and Quinn are worthy top 10 picks (maybe even top 5 picks), but Calvin has to be the #1 pick -- in a sane world!

Drafting a QB is always a risk but it is a risk that comes with a high reward. If Peyton Manning came out for the 1997 draft and the Jets had traded down from #1 it would have been the worst move since the Portland Trail Blazers drafting Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan.

Every position has its share of busts. Blair Thomas, Robert Gallery, Peter Warrick, Courtney Brown - all of those guys were disastrous busts for their teams and they're not QB's. It's just that QB is such a high-profile position and people pay so much more attention to it that guys like Ryan Leaf become much more infamous than guys like Robert Gallery who are equally catastrophic.

Tim Couch is a bust no doubt. But some of those other #1's you cited are either not busts or it was pretty obvious teams were reaching with the pick:

Couch - definitely a disappointment that not a lot of people saw

Vick - Is he really a bust? The guy revitalized one of the NFL's worst franchises, has so far taken his team to the playoffs twice with a trip to the NFC Championship game, all the while having an offensive line that got worse every year and a horrific wr corps.

Carr - Has always had a horrific offensive line in Houston. Would probably be a pretty good QB with a better line in front of him.

Alex Smith - If the 49ers had not taken him at #1 he would have probably slipped to 24 to the Packers or maybe farther than that.

Russell is a physical freak and Brady Quinn is also an excellent athlete who has played well in an NFL-style offense. They both look more like last year's excellent Big 3 of Young, Leinart and Cutler than busts.

Do you even watch college football?

He has been the starting QB for a perennial top ten team for the past two and a half seasons.

Yeah,I watch quite a bit actually.My point was that most people who are drooling over him have never seen or heard of him before that bowl game.Don't get your panties in a bunch because you're an LSU fan....:P

Drafting a QB is always a risk but it is a risk that comes with a high reward. If Peyton Manning came out for the 1997 draft and the Jets had traded down from #1 it would have been the worst move since the Portland Trail Blazers drafting Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan.

Every position has its share of busts. Blair Thomas, Robert Gallery, Peter Warrick, Courtney Brown - all of those guys were disastrous busts for their teams and they're not QB's. It's just that QB is such a high-profile position and people pay so much more attention to it that guys like Ryan Leaf become much more infamous than guys like Robert Gallery who are equally catastrophic.

Tim Couch is a bust no doubt. But some of those other #1's you cited are either not busts or it was pretty obvious teams were reaching with the pick:

Couch - definitely a disappointment that not a lot of people saw

Vick - Is he really a bust? The guy revitalized one of the NFL's worst franchises, has so far taken his team to the playoffs twice with a trip to the NFC Championship game, all the while having an offensive line that got worse every year and a horrific wr corps.

Carr - Has always had a horrific offensive line in Houston. Would probably be a pretty good QB with a better line in front of him.

Alex Smith - If the 49ers had not taken him at #1 he would have probably slipped to 24 to the Packers or maybe farther than that.

Russell is a physical freak and Brady Quinn is also an excellent athlete who has played well in an NFL-style offense. They both look more like last year's excellent Big 3 of Young, Leinart and Cutler than busts.

I don't want to start this Michael Vick bust or not thing with you, because I know you love him..... but don't forget 2 things:

1) The Atlanta Falcons were in the Super Bowl in January of 1999.....It wasn't like he took over a team that hadn't been in the playoffs for over a decade....

2) The Falcons have used so many very HIGH picks and spent a ton of money on "weapons" for Vick......at what point do you stop blaming the receivers only, and start looking at the triggerman?

Peerless Price and Ashley Lelie, both highly touted, couldn't get out of Atlanta fast enough.

One more thing. With all due respect, how does a team trade up to draft a sophomore QB #1 overall, when he completed 90 attempts and threw only 12 TD's in his only "great college season".

Vick is what he is -- a very average quarterback in terms of stats and in terms of leading his team to wins....Arthur Blank loves him. And with Matt Shaub gone, he'll get another chance to prove himself as worthy.

Archived