Advice Needed

DHJF

Here's the situation.

My company terminated an employee in Chicago in late January '07. In fact, we closed the office in Chicago completely. We forwarded the old office phone # to my NY office so all of his customers can be taken care of through me.

Now I get roughly 3 to 5 collection calls every day asking to speak with this former employee. They want to garnish his wages to pay back whatever money he owes. But since he's no longer employed by us, that obviously can't be done.

I tell the collection companies that he is no longer with the company and to please stop calling, but they continue to call on a daily basis. Needless to say, these collection calls are getting nastier every day.

I cannot refer them to his home or cell phone #, because he has since changed both of them. I've tried to find his # through 411, but it is unlisted.

Here's the rub; I know where this former employee is currently working. We lost contact after he was fired, so I shouldn't have any idea where he is. But I do. I have not directed any of these collection agencies to his new place of business yet. I don't want to get the guy fired from his new place of work. But as I said, these collection calls are coming with increasing frequency and are getting nastier by the day. It's wasting my time and pissing me off.

My question: Should I start referring these collection calls to his new place of business? Can I get my company or myself in trouble by doing so?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

If you're worried about getting your company in trouble why not ask your boss what he wants to do about it. I don't see how any of this should be your problem.

Great idea, but my boss resides in Japan. Things are done quite differently there. I was the former employee's Manager while he was working for us, so that kinda makes me the defacto boss for all of the USA. (We only have 5 employees in 3 locations here)

Also, I have asked my Japanese boss what he wants me to do, but he just sloughs it off like it's not his problem.

I don't think referring these callers to him at his new employer is illegal, but I don't want to do the wrong thing.

Great idea, but my boss resides in Japan. Things are done quite differently there. I was the former employee's Manager while he was working for us, so that kinda makes me the defacto boss for all of the USA. (We only have 5 employees in 3 locations here)

Also, I have asked my Japanese boss what he wants me to do, but he just sloughs it off like it's not his problem.

I don't think referring these callers to him at his new employer is illegal, but I don't want to do the wrong thing.

Actually it may very well be. I believe giving out information on former employees goes along the HR laws on references. For example, you legally can only say satisfactory/unsatisfactory when asked about performance categories. If you give out personal information you may possibly be held liable. If the collection companies tell him that you referred them there (and rest assured they will), you may be in for a world of headaches. What I would do is ask each agency exactly how to report to them that he no longer works for you and follow that protocol. If they continue to call after that send them a certified letter stating you have requested to be taken off the list and they still call. Explain that this is costing you business and you have contacted your attorney on the manner. They'll stop then.

Actually it may very well be. I believe giving out information on former employees goes along the HR laws on references. For example, you legally can only say satisfactory/unsatisfactory when asked about performance categories. If you give out personal information you may possibly be held liable. If the collection companies tell him that you referred them there (and rest assured they will), you may be in for a world of headaches. What I would do is ask each agency exactly how to report to them that he no longer works for you and follow that protocol. If they continue to call after that send them a certified letter stating you have requested to be taken off the list and they still call. Explain that this is costing you business and you have contacted your attorney on the manner. They'll stop then.

Sounds like excellent advice, Booz. I'll give that a shot. Thank you!

Here's the situation.

My company terminated an employee in Chicago in late January '07. In fact, we closed the office in Chicago completely. We forwarded the old office phone # to my NY office so all of his customers can be taken care of through me.

Now I get roughly 3 to 5 collection calls every day asking to speak with this former employee. They want to garnish his wages to pay back whatever money he owes. But since he's no longer employed by us, that obviously can't be done.

I tell the collection companies that he is no longer with the company and to please stop calling, but they continue to call on a daily basis. Needless to say, these collection calls are getting nastier every day.

I cannot refer them to his home or cell phone #, because he has since changed both of them. I've tried to find his # through 411, but it is unlisted.

Here's the rub; I know where this former employee is currently working. We lost contact after he was fired, so I shouldn't have any idea where he is. But I do. I have not directed any of these collection agencies to his new place of business yet. I don't want to get the guy fired from his new place of work. But as I said, these collection calls are coming with increasing frequency and are getting nastier by the day. It's wasting my time and pissing me off.

My question: Should I start referring these collection calls to his new place of business? Can I get my company or myself in trouble by doing so?

say he croaked

Well put, I imagine that would be the best course of action.

Good luck with it.

Any lawyers around today? If you like the guy DH and don't want to rat him out - I'd think there are laws in place to stop undue harrassment from from the bloodsuckers that are bothering you everyday. I'd bet being able to recite a statute specific to their practices would make them go away quick.

Any lawyers around today? If you like the guy DH and don't want to rat him out - I'd think there are laws in place to stop undue harrassment from from the bloodsuckers that are bothering you everyday. I'd bet being able to recite a statute specific to their practices would make them go away quick.

I do like the guy. We got along well.

I was hoping to hear from the likes of JGB or LL. Perhaps they're in court arguing against one another today. :)

I do like the guy. We got along well.

I was hoping to hear from the likes of JGB or LL. Perhaps they're in court arguing against one another today. :)

boozers advice seems spot on to me, besides I wouldn't give him up to a collection agency since he just lost his job.

boozers advice seems spot on to me, besides I wouldn't give him up to a collection agency since he just lost his job.

I don't want to give him up. I just want them to stop harrassing me.

I don't want to give him up. I just want them to stop harrassing me.

As one of the Nation's attorneys, I have to advise that Boozer is dead on. Next time they call, get the name of the person and address of the firm. Advise them that he no longer works there and that your firm will not tolerate any more calls. Then send a letter to "memorialize" the conversation. Keep a copy of the letter and dates/times/person spoke to at the collection agency. Collection companies cannot even really keep calling the debtor if they are requested ot to in a letter, they are pretty much supposed to sue or give up.

Here's the situation.

Next time they call, explain he now works for the Patriots, and give them their address.

Interesting

Ha. I wish. I'd have to rep soccer players over here. The least I could have done was written in English, but I'm tired and have a 6 am flight to Palermo. Wouldn't be so bad, but it's 1 now and I have to get to the airport early.

Next time they call, explain he now works for the Patriots, and give them their address.

Your getting soft. I was expecting more petrol bombs.

As one of the Nation's attorneys, I have to advise that Boozer is dead on. Next time they call, get the name of the person and address of the firm. Advise them that he no longer works there and that your firm will not tolerate any more calls. Then send a letter to "memorialize" the conversation. Keep a copy of the letter and dates/times/person spoke to at the collection agency. Collection companies cannot even really keep calling the debtor if they are requested ot to in a letter, they are pretty much supposed to sue or give up.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Archived