Martin-DONE!

Bugg

GEE, who was the HC of the NYJ in 2005?

I hope Martin amkes all the money he can. Looks like he was too slick by half.

Kinda at a loss why he's suing for disabiliuty and telling media guys he can still play in pain. Not the smartest thing for a plaintiff to say in this situation. Lloyd's will fight him tooth and nail.

No matter-if anyone thought Martin had a chance of playing in 2006, it's clear he knew all

offseason he was done. It might not have ben for public consumption and it might have been dishonest. Seems like Mangini and Tannebaum knew.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2007/05/19/2007-05-19_martin_sues_insurer.html

Martin sues insurer

BY RICH CIMINI and JOHN MARZULLI

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Posted Saturday, May 19th 2007, 4:00 AM

Jets running back Curtis Martin hasn't officially announced his Hall of Fame career is over, but a lawsuit filed in federal court yesterday made it clear he's done.

Martin revealed in the complaint that he's totally disabled due to a knee injury and is suing Lloyd's of London for refusing to pay him the $5 million in coverage he purchased from the insurance company in 2005.

The NFL's No.4 all-time rusher did not play a single down last season and told the Daily News last November that "retirement is probably the inevitable outcome" while suggesting he could probably tolerate the pain in his right knee to score a touchdown.

But on July 28, 2006, Martin submitted a claim form and physician's report to Lloyd's of London stating that, "On or about Dec.14, 2005, plaintiff became permanently disabled as a result of a single and unexpected event, a hit to his knee, during a professional football game ... and resulted in plaintiff's total disability," the complaint said.

He was placed on season-ending injured reserve on that date. The last game he played was Dec.4, 2005.

Last month, Lloyd's informed Martin by letter that the coverage was being denied. The suit accuses Lloyd's of breach of contract.

Martin, 34, purchased two policies for total disability insurance that were effective from Aug.1, 2005, to Aug.1, 2006. The prepaid premium cost him $178,250, according to court papers.

Martin's lawyer said last night that he wanted to speak to his client before commenting further on the suit. Lawyers of Lloyd's could not be reached.

The suit claims Martin's economic damages are in excess of $5 million. He took a $1.7 million pay cut last season and this year he was due to earn $4.4 million (that was later lowered to $3.3 million), but won't see a penny because it is not guaranteed if he retires.

Sure sounds like it. Anybody know the grounds of Lloyd's contention? Pre-existing condition probably. I hope he wins the case and triples the money through damages. Frikin Ins companies own the world. If I was king for 1 day - my sole focus would be to dismantle those thieving SOB's.

Sure sounds like it. Anybody know the grounds of Lloyd's contention? Pre-existing condition probably. I hope he wins the case and triples the money through damages. Frikin Ins companies own the world. If I was king for 1 day - my sole focus would be to dismantle those thieving SOB's.

Why would they accept his money and give him a policy if he had a preexisting condition. I don't see a way Lloyd's gets out of this unless the contend Martin isn't totally disabled.

Why would they accept his money and give him a policy if he had a preexisting condition. I don't see a way Lloyd's gets out of this unless the contend Martin isn't totally disabled.

I don't know man. They have scads of money and pay many lawyers to keep it. Not saying no one ever defrauded an insurance company - but they will look for every possible way not to pay out.

I don't know man. They have scads of money and pay many lawyers to keep it. Not saying no one ever defrauded an insurance company - but they will look for every possible way not to pay out.

haha,, yup...

he will settle for 10-20% of what he thinks he is owed,, bank on it..

Insurance is pretty much legal rackiteering, they don't pay very often. I think this is the same company that refused to pay Bret Hart. Eventually he got paid, but it took about a decade. I hope Martin gets treble damages for having to go through court.

Hard to say without details, but 'pre-existing' has got to be their reason for denial. What else could it be? He'll have to prove he didn't have medical trouble in the knee before purchasing the policy, but I assume he would had to have been medically cleared in the first place. They didn't turn him away and deny him coverage. Something ain't right here.

Edwards is a lot of things, and I'm not one to shy away from vilifying the man, but I seriously doubt he had the power/influence over Martin to "force" him to play last year. It was Martin's decision whether or not he played, just like in 2002. I'm quite certain it would have taken little effort on Martin's part to get a orthopedist's note exempting him from being forced onto the practice or playing field. Edwards simply let him do it.

Edwards is a lot of things, and I'm not one to shy away from vilifying the man, but I seriously doubt he had the power/influence over Martin to "force" him to play last year. It was Martin's decision whether or not he played, just like in 2002. I'm quite certain it would have taken little effort on Martin's part to get a orthopedist's note exempting him from being forced onto the practice or playing field. Edwards simply let him do it.

True. Martin wanted to play. We saw it over and over.

Noted in PFT today that Martin's own blatherings about playing in 2006 to get paid a salary might damage his case. If he retired and filed a worker's comp claim prior to the 2006 season rather than drawing a salary, it would've been clear he saw himself as disabled. All these statements about wanting to come back are at odds with this suit(which it seems was fliled the end of July, 2006), since he either signed the complaint or an affidavit that his dsiablity was a fact at the time of the filing.

Archived