Jackson preparing to lead Vikings - ESPN.com

Jackson preparing to lead Vikings

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Even when you are only the presumptive starting quarterback for an NFL franchise, Tarvaris Jackson discovered this week there are still enough perks inherent to the No. 1 job to overcome some of life's more disappointing moments.

Take, for instance, the Minnesota Vikings' workout Tuesday morning, when an assistant coach yelled from the far end of the practice field that the tight ends needed someone to throw to them. Quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers surveyed the four candidates standing around him, eyeballed Tyler Thigpen, then nodded in the direction of the rookie signal-caller.

"You, go," Rogers barked at Thigpen, a seventh-round pick from Coastal Carolina, and the lowest-ranking player in a Vikings quarterback pecking order that includes Jackson, Brooks Bollinger and Drew Henson.

Two days later, recalling a story that he regards as indicative of how far he has progressed in a very short period, Jackson laughed softly into the telephone.

"I was thinking, 'You know, a year ago, that would have been me they sent to throw to those guys,' and it's true," said Jackson, who started the final two games for Minnesota last season as a rookie and is the favorite to win the starting job this year. "When you're the bottom guy, those are the kinds of things you have to do. But that one thing right there, as small as it was, shows progress, right? To come from a small school like I did, not expecting to be drafted until maybe the third round or even later, it's been good. I've still got a long ways to go, and I don't ever take anything for granted

The Vikes are not that bad, their defense is good and so is their offensive line. If Jackson turns out to be the player they thougth he'll be, they could do damage. They also need a WR, Troy Williamson has not lived up to his expectations.

The Vikes are not that bad, their defense is good and so is their offensive line. If Jackson turns out to be the player they thougth he'll be, they could do damage. They also need a WR, Troy Williamson has not lived up to his expectations.

Their Pass D was the worst in the NFL.

I really like Tavaris Jackson and I think he's going to be a very good Quarterback one day. Now if that happens in Minnesota, who knows. With their Wide Receiving core, you never know. I don't know who has it worst, Vick in Atlanta or Jackson in Minnesota. At least Jackson has accuracy.

Their Pass D was the worst in the NFL.

That was a product of their run D. No one bothered to run on them. Both the Pats & Jets ripped them to shreds running a 5 wide set with quick passes.

The Pats put up 31 and the Jets 26 against the Vikes. Both of those games were at Minnesota. Perfect conditions for a precision passing game.

On the topic of Jackson, I'm not sure how he is going to do. At least the Vikings play in a crappy division and don't have to play the AFCE again. They went 0-4 against the AFCE last year.

That was a product of their run D. No one bothered to run on them. Both the Pats & Jets ripped them to shreds running a 5 wide set with quick passes.

The Pats put up 31 and the Jets 26 against the Vikes. Both of those games were at Minnesota. Perfect conditions for a precision passing game.

On the topic of Jackson, I'm not sure how he is going to do. At least the Vikings play in a crappy division and don't have to play the AFCE again. They went 0-4 against the AFCE last year.

You got it... just like the Raiders had a "great" pass D... it was becuase teams just tried to run and get the game over against them... no need to pass when they couldnt score...

You got it... just like the Raiders had a "great" pass D... it was becuase teams just tried to run and get the game over against them... no need to pass when they couldnt score...

The golden rule is if you are #1 against the run you are probably #29 against the pass and vice-versa.

Why run against a team that allows Chad to go 29/39 for 339 yards (sorry ecurb I couldn't resist!)

Archived