Yankee Trivia-who are these guys?

Bugg

This explains a lot-

http://www.nysun.com/article/55786

"Since Brian Cashman became the general manager in 1998, the Yankees have spent high draft picks on outfielder Andy Brown (no.1, 1998), outfielder Tommy Winrow (no. 2, 1999), catcher David Parrish (no. 1, 2000), outfielder John-Ford Griffin (no. 1, 2001), third baseman Eric Duncan (no. 1, 2003), outfielder Jon Poterson (no. 1 supplemental, 2004), and shortstop C.J. Henry (no. 1, 2005). All have been busts."

This explains a lot-

http://www.nysun.com/article/55786

"Since Brian Cashman became the general manager in 1998, the Yankees have spent high draft picks on outfielder Andy Brown (no.1, 1998), outfielder Tommy Winrow (no. 2, 1999), catcher David Parrish (no. 1, 2000), outfielder John-Ford Griffin (no. 1, 2001), third baseman Eric Duncan (no. 1, 2003), outfielder Jon Poterson (no. 1 supplemental, 2004), and shortstop C.J. Henry (no. 1, 2005). All have been busts."

Cashman was not in charge of the drafts until 2005.......which have been pretty damn good since especially last years draft. So anything pre 2005 is not on Cashmans hook.

And its way too early for them to call Eric Duncan a bust. He's 22, and starting to come around now after battling back problems.

We can judge Cashman on the last 2 Yankee drafts, which have been really good, esp last years.

Actually, Cashman was only in full charge of teh 2006 draft. He had no say what-so-ever over any of the previous ones.

Only 2006? Well then he definitetly has been great at the draft so far! Hopefully we have another great one in acouple days.

Actually, Cashman was only in full charge of teh 2006 draft. He had no say what-so-ever over any of the previous ones.

So are you saying Cashman, the General Manager, did NOT have the final say on draft day in all the drafts he has participated in UNTIL last season?

I didn't know "delegation" meant "relinquish all control".

Ummm... Duncan is starting to come around??? Oh... that's what you call .240 with 5 HR in Scranton? Right.

He stinks. He hasn't been the same since he took Lobban deep in the state championship... right toon88? ;)

HAHAHA....good stuff.

I actually played summer ball with Lobban the past few years...it's the only kind of ball he can play, since he is now tossed out of his 2nd college! Although, He just signed with Sussex to play Independant ball. Great arm on that kid, but a 2 cent head. Hopefully his "little" brother doesn't turn out the same way.

HAHAHA....good stuff.

I actually played summer ball with Lobban the past few years...it's the only kind of ball he can play, since he is now tossed out of his 2nd college! Although, He just signed with Sussex to play Independant ball. Great arm on that kid, but a 2 cent head. Hopefully his "little" brother doesn't turn out the same way.

Holy Crap Ryan Lobban... I was on the same little league team as him.

Holy Crap Ryan Lobban... I was on the same little league team as him.

yeah, that's him. kid has a world of talent, but he's a looney-tune. had a full ride to James Madison, got kicked out before the season started. Went to William Paterson, failed out. He now just signed to play with Sussex, hopefully can hang on in the Independant League for a while. His kid brother is better than him, and more stable "upstairs". Plus, he hits bombs while throwing upper 80's as a lefty. Just finished his junior year at St. Joes, should get a number of good colleges looking at him next year.

yeah, that's him. kid has a world of talent, but he's a looney-tune. had a full ride to James Madison, got kicked out before the season started. Went to William Paterson, failed out. He now just signed to play with Sussex, hopefully can hang on in the Independant League for a while. His kid brother is better than him, and more stable "upstairs". Plus, he hits bombs while throwing upper 80's as a lefty. Just finished his junior year at St. Joes, should get a number of good colleges looking at him next year.

I remember when we were like 9 or 10 he played 3rd and I played first and his throws over to first were so friggin hard that no one else wanted to play there lol.

I remember when we were like 9 or 10 he played 3rd and I played first and his throws over to first were so friggin hard that no one else wanted to play there lol.

i'm guessing your coach was an idiot, putting a lefty at 3B!! ;)

So are you saying Cashman, the General Manager, did NOT have the final say on draft day in all the drafts he has participated in UNTIL last season?

I didn't know "delegation" meant "relinquish all control".

That is exactly what i am saying. The Yankee front office was so fractured between NY and Tampa, that at times, opposing GMs did not know who to contact to discuss trades. Cashman was GM in title only, until he and Steinbrenner agreed to a consolidation of all Baseball operations under Brian's comtrol, in Nov. 2005.

Brian had no say at all in the draft, and could not even demand that certain types of kids be drafted.

Duncan isn't a bust yet. He's only 22 years old. Henry was a high risk high reward type move and he brought back abreu. The other guys are horrible.

Cashman isn't the guy drafting. Thats Damon Oppenheimer.

Damion has really only run teh last draft on his own. Before that a guy named Lin Garrett was basically calling the shots regarding the draft, with Damion as soem sort of assistant.

toon, speaking of JMU, did you see who was just named freshman all american?;)

what was his problem?

i went to college with a kid who swore he was scouted by the Yankees in high school (it wasn't brought up until I was asked what team I rooted for) and the reason he wound up stuck in maine and not somewhere better is because of weed.

he quit the baseball team before the season even started too. pretty stupid move but his parents are rich so whatre you gonna do.

toon, speaking of JMU, did you see who was just named freshman all american?;)

was it Caseres? i heard he was having a good season down there. if it was him, good for him. nice to see the "local kid does good" story.

good for him...he's gotta wait 2 more years to go back into draft status, after his junior year of college, but if he continues hitting like he did this year, he will hear his name called after his junior year.

i just looked at mlb.com and see Porcello hasn't been picked yet???? guess that horrible outing against Bosco + having Boras as his agent scared alot of teams away...good news for us Tar Heel Fans!!!! :)

good for him...he's gotta wait 2 more years to go back into draft status, after his junior year of college, but if he continues hitting like he did this year, he will hear his name called after his junior year.

i just looked at mlb.com and see Porcello hasn't been picked yet???? guess that horrible outing against Bosco + having Boras as his agent scared alot of teams away...good news for us Tar Heel Fans!!!! :)

Porcello went 27th to the Tigers... I really like the way the Yanks rolled the dice with this 6'10 flamethrower Andrew Brackman from NC ST

hey 80...

Jaren Matthews from Bosco goes in the 17th RD to the Red Sox....he's got a full ride to Rutgers. my thinking is he'll go to college and help himself improve on that 17th RD selection in 3 years.

Archived