what % of players win a SB?

does anyone have any idea what percentage of players who enter the league win a ring? obviously, 3% of the league gets a ring every year but i'm curious what the chance of any one player getting a ring in their lifetime is. 10%? 15%? i guess my question is what percentage of current and former NFL players won at least one ring.

does anyone have any idea what percentage of players who enter the league win a ring? obviously, 3% of the league gets a ring every year but i'm curious what the chance of any one player getting a ring in their lifetime is. 10%? 15%? i guess my question is what percentage of current and former NFL players won at least one ring.

I bet it's between 15 and 20 percent. There are a ton of guys walking around that made the roster one time during the year that had the good fortune to call themselves "Colts" in '06, or Pats in 02. A lot of luck goes into it, in that regard.

and there we have it folks. the last possible football related question that could possibly be posed this offseason. Its official, we're now into rehashing mode ;)

I bet it's between 15 and 20 percent. There are a ton of guys walking around that made the roster one time during the year that had the good fortune to call themselves "Colts" in '06, or Pats in 02. A lot of luck goes into it, in that regard.

probably a good estimate. not as exclusive a club as one would assume. although most NFL careers are short (i.e. 3 yrs for avg running back) which would reduce the number somewhat.

probably a good estimate. not as exclusive a club as one would assume. although most NFL careers are short (i.e. 3 yrs for avg running back) which would reduce the number somewhat.

That's a pretty valid point. The fact that guys come in and out so fast, means there are a lot of guys out there who "played" in the NFL, but rarely did they make it through a full season.

its an interesting stat, one the media wouldn't want to talk too much about, since as it stands, the super bowl is the pinnical of football. if 1/5 of the players had a ring...not much of a goal anymore.

That's a pretty valid point. The fact that guys come in and out so fast, means there are a lot of guys out there who "played" in the NFL, but rarely did they make it through a full season.

its an interesting stat, one the media wouldn't want to talk too much about, since as it stands, the super bowl is the pinnical of football. if 1/5 of the players had a ring...not much of a goal anymore.

also, do you have to be on the superbowl game roster to get the ring? what if you were on the active roster at some point during the year? obviously, if you're on IR you'd get a ring but if you were cut the day before the SB (i.e. to make room for a backup kicker if the team's kicker get hurt in the AFC championship) after being on the team the entire season, would you be SOL?

let's see... there are 32 teams in the nfl with, i think, 53 player rosters. if the average player plays in the nfl for 5 years, let's say, and a new team wins the superbowl every year, then if we disregard inconsistencies like players playing for more than one superbowl team and teams that win more than 1 superbowl in that time period we roughly come up with:

32 teams x 53 players = 1696 possible superbowl winning players

53 players / 1696 possible superbowl winning players = 3.125% of players who win a superbowl every year. multiply that by the lifespan of the average player as mentioned above and you have:

roughly 15.625% of all players will be on a superbowl winning team.

of course this number changes when you have dynasties like New England winning multiple Superbowls.

i can't believe i actually took the time to calculate this.... :)

let's see... there are 32 teams in the nfl with, i think, 53 player rosters. if the average player plays in the nfl for 5 years, let's say, and a new team wins the superbowl every year, then if we disregard inconsistencies like players playing for more than one superbowl team and teams that win more than 1 superbowl in that time period we roughly come up with:

32 teams x 53 players = 1696 possible superbowl winning players

53 players / 1696 possible superbowl winning players = 3.125% of players who win a superbowl every year. multiply that by the lifespan of the average player as mentioned above and you have:

roughly 15.625% of all players will be on a superbowl winning team.

of course this number changes when you have dynasties like New England winning multiple Superbowls.

i can't believe i actually took the time to calculate this.... :)

based on this, 15.625% is probably the high end due to dynasties and other confounding factors.

Archived