2007 Jets preview ( The Green machine)

Kentucky Jet

I think a lot of what he said is a reach, and off-base. He's banking on getting excited about Pouha? Oy. And he's given up on Robertson? i dont think the Jets have.

Wadsworth- I am not expecting much from him.

Coleman- could be a key player. If he has a bigtime year, the defense will be immeasurably better.

Also,

(A)lthough Bowens and Wadsworth likely will work at outside linebacker
, I think if Bowens has some early success, if he will sometimes lineup as a 4th DL on the outside edge in this hybrid D.

Getting better in the trenches on both sides of the ball is a major key for the team this season.

I wish I was excited about Pouha. Hopefully I will be at some point. I did enjoy the read though, and there was a lot of good analysis imo

I share your feelings about Pouha. Until he can prove he can stay healthy and contribute I'm not counting on him for diddly. He does bring up an interesting point in that the Jets did not go after any available NT in free agency. Maybe the FO knows more about Pouha than it seems on the surface.

I initially read this article on the GreenMachine website. While the opinions are okay, I disagree with the grade. A low "C" depending on Pouha's play?

I would like to think that while the conventional 3-4 requires a heavy NT; that Mangini's seeming reluctance to address this positional need is for a reason. His praising of Drob, paired with Drob's new "slim" look, and Coleman's pass-rush-type play make me think that perhaps our 3-4 design will include more pass-rushing out of our down-linemen.

Mangini seems like the type to try to invent a new defense. While Ellis, Coleman, and Roberston are known for pass-rushing, the most successfull 3-4's boast run-stoppers. Harris isn't exactly known as a sack-artist. I wouldn't be suprised to see a more ILB-stuffing approach to stopping the run, and expect more three-gapping responsibilities from all 3 of our Linemen.

interesting tidbits here. I agree with the Coleman notion, the Jets paid him some pretty good cash so he needs to make an impact. D Rob for the money he is getting paid will have to do something up front and I think it is up to the coaching staff to put him in places where he can make an impact. Relying on Pouha? what the hell has this guy proved in the NFL? I think Ellis is still a very good player and does more than people realize.

I share your feelings about Pouha. Until he can prove he can stay healthy and contribute I'm not counting on him for diddly. He does bring up an interesting point in that the Jets did not go after any available NT in free agency. Maybe the FO knows more about Pouha than it seems on the surface.

Were they any quality NTs available when the Jets selected? I dont remember/recall any.

If Pouha proves to be good enough to crack the lineup, it will be a pleasant surprise. But I'm not expecting it until I see it.

Archived