$52 Mil in Dead Cap Space! $9 Mil Available Cap Space

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This will be the thing that ends Douglas. Woody doesn’t know sh*t about football, but he’ll be chapped to find out that his mom’s money is being wasted. 

Not as bad as Denver, but most likely top 4 in Dead $

7 minutes ago, slats said:

I think we should complain about players being held onto for too long, while also complaining about too many one year deals, while also complaining about dead money. Dead money happens when you move on from players who failed to live up to their contracts. Jets are eating a lot of it this year, and have still managed to put a very solid roster together. This years dead money comes off, and OTC has the team with over $71M to work with next year. This year they’re top three in dead money, next year they’re top ten in cap room.  

That $71 million will go quickly when you consider DJ, MC2, WR#2, BH going into his final year, and the 2022 draft class being able to get locked up long term. Every year they get more & more expensive.

55 minutes ago, slats said:

I think we should complain about players being held onto for too long, while also complaining about too many one year deals, while also complaining about dead money. Dead money happens when you move on from players who failed to live up to their contracts. Jets are eating a lot of it this year, and have still managed to put a very solid roster together. This years dead money comes off, and OTC has the team with over $71M to work with next year. This year they’re top three in dead money, next year they’re top ten in cap room.  

Ya but we have like one secondary player under contract next year. So keeping our secondary close to the same eats almost 1/2 to 2/3 of that cap space.

• Upvote 1

If we can get Lazard being productive this year heading into year 3 @ reasonable cost next year, draft a solid #2 next year, start locking up our young talent and have our recent draft picks in ‘23 & ‘24 produce…. then the future is looking bright heading into next year after a deep playoff run this year!

Longest run-on sentence ever!!

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, slats said:

This all day long!!!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

This will be the thing that ends Douglas. Woody doesn’t know sh*t about football, but he’ll be chapped to find out that his mom’s money is being wasted. 

If that really bothered him he should  have swam slower. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, slats said:

Yes it will, that’s the point of making room now. Dead money is what it is. We could reduce the Jet’s dead money by $30M simply by continuing to carry Laken Tomlinson, Zach, Uzomah, and Lawson on the 53 man roster. Would that be a better situation for anyone? I’m thinking probably not. They have a solid roster while simultaneously paying off a big mortgage. That should be seen as a good thing for this year and the future. 

Right, but at some point Douglas has to sit across a desk and tell Woody that there’s $52 million dollars of his money gone into the pockets of guys that Douglas signed and then had to dump. Hard to spin that as good, sound roster management even if, big picture, it is. Then that conversation turns to informing Woody he has to—very soon—put hundreds of millions of dollars into escrow to extend Sauce, Garrett, Breece, Jermaine, etc. And all of this while Douglas and Saleh are waiting for extensions, too. Forgetting the football soundness of any of it, this is about Woody writing checks, which is where things usually go south for this franchise

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slats said:

No it’s not, I’ve done it twice already just in this one thread. 

Everything else is just trying to manufacture drama where none exists. Joe Douglas is getting extended, imho. 

That’s interesting because he’s been here for five years, has a worse record than Maccagnan, drafted the worst bust in the history of the franchise, and has burned through hundreds of millions of Woody’s money with zero return. Manufactured drama vs the historical record, I guess. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

That $71 million will go quickly when you consider DJ, MC2, WR#2, BH going into his final year, and the 2022 draft class being able to get locked up long term. Every year they get more & more expensive.

yes i hate having excellent players who need new contracts - best to field a roster of cheap scrubs - makes cap management so much easier- 2019 where are you when we need you?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, slats said:

He’s not perfect, that’s for sure, but this roster is light years ahead of the roster he inherited. Losses, I think we can agree, are largely due to poor QB play and a turf that eats offensive linemen. Defense is championship caliber, the offense has actual star level draft picks in Wilson and Breece, and this year they should have something that resembles competent QB play or better. I fully expect JD to be extended regardless of how many times these lazy arguments are brought up. 

I’m not advocating for firing Douglas. I’m pointing out that the bodies are piling up in a way that’ll get Woody’s attention, and when Woody gets involved, bad things happen. I would suggest that saying “hey, this is good process even though there’s been zero ROI” is the lazy argument in this case, but hooray for some cap space in 2025.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

This years dead money comes off, and OTC has the team with over $71M to work with next year. This year they’re top three in dead money, next year they’re top ten in cap room.  

We are now a team that FA want to come to with Rodgers. Having T. Smith & M. Williams coming to NY signifies to me that the tide is turning. Having $71 mil doesn’t hurt either.

1 hour ago, slats said:

There's also dead money from players who completed their contacts, despite that being undeserved (e.g., Lawson), thanks to JD's hard-on for void years to make up for so many of his other cap-eating failures. More of those hits will continue to accelerate to the cap every single year from here on out, so the future years' space is inaccurate.

You know, kind of like how Rodgers presence, or lack thereof, continues to be an unpaid loan of tens of millions from future years.

But hey, it's not like they're set to pay 12M for their #4 WR, right?

Maybe we can all dream of the day that we don't need dozens of qualifiers and excuses to claim the Jets' GM isn't a disastrous failure despite all evidence being to the contrary.

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m not advocating for firing Douglas. I’m pointing out that the bodies are piling up in a way that’ll get Woody’s attention, and when Woody gets involved, bad things happen. I would suggest that saying “hey, this is good process even though there’s been zero ROI” is the lazy argument in this case, but hooray for some cap space in 2025.

So in short, as Woody has shown us for some 14ish years, things will never go right until he leaves football to the football guys. 

If the wins and losses haven't gotten JD and Saleh fired by now, I don't think some dead cap will. I'm fairly sure Woody had a heavy hand in bringing Rodgers, so I think he does know (monetarily) he has to lie in the bed he made. Like the rest of us, he's probably waiting to see if wins will follow.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

@slats is on a major roll cleaning up fodder for false narratives this offseason.

True, the dead money is a sign that many of JD’s past free agent signings have not hit:  Lawson, Brown, Tomlinson, Uzomah, Cook, Hardman.

JFM’s contract is debatable as he ultimately made roughly $10M per year over the last 3 years, not a crazy overpay for a versatile starting DL.

The reality is the Jets have a talented roster in 2024 and have a healthy cap moving forward, despite several bad mistakes in the draft and free agency.

Even Rodger’s contract is a very fair $37.5M per year over 2 or 3 years.  Obviously the guy has to stay healthy and play well for that to be considered an eventual success.

AR’s sizable deferral into the future using dummy years has become more common in the NFL since COVID slowed the salary cap’s growth trajectory.  But as the NFL cap continues to make up lost ground, the pressure from Rodger’s contract should abate.

#facts #gyat #fyp

4 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

There's also dead money from players who completed their contacts, despite that being undeserved (e.g., Lawson), thanks to JD's hard-on for void years to make up for so many of his other cap-eating failures. More of those hits will continue to accelerate to the cap every single year from here on out, so the future years' space is inaccurate.

You know, kind of like how Rodgers presence, or lack thereof, continues to be an unpaid loan of tens of millions from future years.

But hey, it's not like they're set to pay 12M for their #4 WR, right?

Maybe we can all dream of the day that we don't need dozens of qualifiers and excuses to claim the Jets' GM isn't a disastrous failure despite all evidence being to the contrary.

Every team in the league uses signing bonuses and void years as deficit spending. Criticizing JD for doing the norm seems pointless to me. Especially when, for the most part, he tries to do deals like Lazard’s with in season guarantees - which didn’t look so good with Rodgers on IR; or he does a number of one year deals - another common practice that gets complained about in here. 

• Upvote 2

Not my money. Not my problem. Franchise worth is supposedly +$6B. NFL Franchises are essentially a money printing profit factory. Until that changes, $60M is a ledger error. 

The bigger issue is the seemingly infinite range of salaries that can get worked into the cap. Guys getting $200M contracts, cap manipulation and the constant one-upmanship of players and agents looking for massive and in my opinion absurd contracts for huge sums with a fictional cap is more of a problem for owners. Mid tier players are getting tens of millions of dollars and you can never really predict who will be the guys to get a massive deal and check out....

No, I have no solution or ideas to correct it. Not my problem. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

So you’re saying that JD did a good job giving himself the ability to lock up his young players?

• Upvote 1

Dummy or void years have been on the rise since COVID. Do your research people!

Maybe a better discussion:  the Jets planning for a world where we have to pay our young core at a time Rodgers retirement deferral leaves us with a large dead cap hit.

1. Clean up the cap now

2. Hit on your draft picks (TBD no matter what anyone says 1 week after it concludes)

3. Draft a developmental QB to learn from Rodgers & Taylor.  I prefer the smart/winning/clutch QB route over the big armed / poor accuracy route we have previously taken.

This is a guy we might give a chance to in a bridge year 

Overpay for a qualified QB Coach.  

4. Tough decision at CB.  Can likely only keep one of Reed or Carter II.  I think it’s going to be Carter II and can see that happening before the season.

5. Don’t over invest in non premium positions.  LB, Safety, Run Stopping DT, TE.  That’s why some here consider Fashanu the smart choice and why the Jets should avoid signing a veteran free agent safety to a big contract

6. Keep long term deals to a minimum.  Want to see a bad contract?  Look at the mess the Giants got into w/ Golladay’s contract

Use incentives more and more.  Offer addtl upside rather than heavy guarantees 

7. Hire a HC who can squeeze the most out of the talent on the rosteR

• Upvote 1