Is Curtis Martin a "Sacred Cow"?

Jet Moses

Let me ask you all a question, is there such a thing as a "sacred cow"? I recall back before the 2001 season there was much debate between fans over whether or not it would be ideal or practical to trade Curtis Martin.

At the time, I was against it.

It's really hard to judge the guy because I don't know how different things might have been if Leon Hess didn't die and/or Parcells didn't leave.

2001-2005 was like watching paint dry. 3rd and 12 draw plays ad nauseum.

I'm not trying to dump on Martin, because he is the type of player you wish more of them could be like.

And ever since the end of the Jets Steelers playoff game at the end of the 2004 season, so much ugliness has occurred and now I just look at Martin retiring as something akin to having a two year wake before actually burying somebody. And I'm not saying thats his fault, the circumstances being what they were, but it's anti-climatic.

I just see Martin as being treated one way and guys like Kevin Mawae being treated another.

I mean, if you are gonna put Martin on a pedestal, then you have to put Mawae on one too.

But whatever. All in all, I'm just glad Curtis has finally made it official and we can finally put that much more distance between us and the Herm error.

Let me ask you all a question, is there such a thing as a "sacred cow"? I recall back before the 2001 season there was much debate between fans over whether or not it would be ideal or practical to trade Curtis Martin.

At the time, I was against it.

It's really hard to judge the guy because I don't know how different things might have been if Leon Hess didn't die and/or Parcells didn't leave.

2001-2005 was like watching paint dry. 3rd and 12 draw plays ad nauseum.

I'm not trying to dump on Martin, because he is the type of player you wish more of them could be like.

And ever since the end of the Jets Steelers playoff game at the end of the 2004 season, so much ugliness has occurred and now I just look at Martin retiring as something akin to having a two year wake before actually burying somebody. And I'm not saying thats his fault, the circumstances being what they were, but it's anti-climatic.

I just see Martin as being treated one way and guys like Kevin Mawae being treated another.

I mean, if you are gonna put Martin on a pedestal, then you have to put Mawae on one too.

But whatever. All in all, I'm just glad Curtis has finally made it official and we can finally put that much more distance between us and the Herm error.

One big difference.

Mawae never kept his trap shut.

Mawae was great though. HOF'er. The best center this franchise has ever had but sometimes he came off as a clubhouse lawyer when things were not going well.

Curtis just went out and let his numbers do the talking. Curtis played here for 8-9 years and I can't remember him ever being in the middle of a storm because of something he said or did.

Mawae and Martin are equal caliber players. BUT Martin never **** talked the Jet organization...
You generally don't speak crap when checks that big are arriving in your checking account regularly, especially so wheny ou cap number meant the Jets couldn't sign other players they needed. Mawae was as productive and as important. But on one handthe Bradway/Edwards regime paid a king's ransom for Martin as he aged and wore down, the Tannebaum/Mangini regime didn't see the point as to Mawae . I think over the long haul the later apporach is what wins under the cap. There are no farewell tours or oldtimer's games in the NFL.

We can go back and forth all day-HoF, compiler, "warrior", etc. Just the way the Edwards Error worked out feels like a lost opportunity. And part of it was a coach who allowed Martin to decide and dictate how he was used, often to the overall detriment of the team. After about 1999, Martin's production was mostly a result of slavishly feeding him the ball, no matter whether he was hurt nor effective.Give any high end back that many carries with this squad, the results would've been comparable. And of a coach who was too stupid to see he had alternatives like Anderson and then Jordan and Houston. Martin was durable, but he was never dominating.

Archived