When Brad Smith wins the #3 spot

Thor99

Expect alot of inactives for our good friend Kellen.

i don't know that those poser jet fans are really kellen fans. they are more anti NY, and Chad fans. All they ask is that we blow draft picks on chitty QB's for the next decade.

It is funny because I feel like I have been saying all offseason that Brad Smith will never be the # 3 WR.

But if you did keep Smith at QB and made Clemens the inactive guy -- that would normally limit what they would do with Smith otherwise (trick plays, special teams). Mangini would probably just run him out there anyhow.

Interesting move and it gives them a lot more flexibility with the roster. If Smith got hurt on special teams and Chad got hurt say in the 2nd Qtr -- it poses an interesting dilemna because then you ride that game out with Clemens.

But it would have to fire up the troops to see your backup QB Smith out there on the field doing other stuff.

Ouch. That's a great point, Thor. Brad Smith will definately be the #3 because of his versatility. So whoever loses out on #2, Marcus or Kellen, will be with the practice squad.

Brad Smith will not only be a Quarterback. Yes he most likely will beat out Tui and Ratliff for the #3 job but he will also be the #4 or possibly #3 / slot receiver. This guy is going to play all over the field. Remember Kordell Stewart? He was backing up in Pittsburgh yet still playing receiver. Think of Randle El. For a year or two he was Pittsburgh's #3 yet also Pittsburgh's #3 receiver / punt returner.

I would love for Smith to be our 3rd or 2nd string. It would free up a roster spot. Hey is that house in Florida? I did an adventure race in Ozello Florida and it looks just like a place I stayed there.

I live in Tampa, that pic is from my girlfriend's family beach house in Holden Beach, N. C.

i don't know that those poser jet fans are really kellen fans. they are more anti NY, and Chad fans. All they ask is that we blow draft picks on chitty QB's for the next decade.

You know it's kind of funny.... hoping that Kellen has what it takes to be a good QB makes people "anti-NY" and obviously not "real" jet fans. But hoping that Kellen fails makes you a real fan?

Odd really, that you all would think it's a good thing if our front office not only blew a (fairly) high draft pick, failed in seeing his true quality (or lack of) and then failing to adress the problem by getting a better QB when they had the chance. And no, Marques Toiletsucker doesn't count. I didn't know trashing the front office was the mark of a true fan.

On top of that, we may have to question the pick of Smith as well. He was drafted as a WR, not a QB. Did that conversion fail? I like Qb's with mobility, but run-first-QB's, with poor decision making skills don't cut it in the NFL.

Chad is our best QB. No doubt. But he's still only a mediocre NFL starter. At some point soon, we must find a better one, or we can forget about reaching the Superbowl.

Personally, I hope Chad can carry the load a couple of years more, and that Kellen is just in a slump, or that we draft a good QB in next years draft.

You know it's kind of funny.... hoping that Kellen has what it takes to be a good QB makes people "anti-NY" and obviously not "real" jet fans. But hoping that Kellen fails makes you a real fan?

Odd really, that you all would think it's a good thing if our front office not only blew a (fairly) high draft pick, failed in seeing his true quality (or lack of) and then failing to adress the problem by getting a better QB when they had the chance. And no, Marques Toiletsucker doesn't count. I didn't know trashing the front office was the mark of a true fan.

On top of that, we may have to question the pick of Smith as well. He was drafted as a WR, not a QB. Did that conversion fail? I like Qb's with mobility, but run-first-QB's, with poor decision making skills don't cut it in the NFL.

Chad is our best QB. No doubt. But he's still only a mediocre NFL starter. At some point soon, we must find a better one, or we can forget about reaching the Superbowl.

Personally, I hope Chad can carry the load a couple of years more, and that Kellen is just in a slump, or that we draft a good QB in next years draft.

nice try, i don't hope he fails, i hope he's awsome. i'm just tired of everyone jumping on our current qb. nice write up though, maybe i'll finish reading it someday.

Ouch. That's a great point, Thor. Brad Smith will definately be the #3 because of his versatility. So whoever loses out on #2, Marcus or Kellen, will be with the practice squad.

I don't think Marcus would be eligible anymore for the PS. Its make the team

or bye bye.

nice try, i don't hope he fails, i hope he's awsome. i'm just tired of everyone jumping on our current qb. nice write up though, maybe i'll finish reading it someday.

If you had finished reading it, maybe you wouldn't be so clueless? It was pretty far from a write up. So "nice try" back at you.

Brad Smith = emergency QB

I cant really buy into these reports. To me it sounds like the Jets are just trying to get away with him doing trick plays for yet another season by telling the media (and other teams in the league at the same time) that now Smith is going to throw the ball. It might keep the running lanes more open if teams think Smith might actually pass the ball instead of running it this season. He's an awful passer....

But maybe this is the year he actually does the reverse and throws the ball instead of running it.

Also, f Clemens is a bust, there will be hell to pay but its wayyyy to early to say that considering he's never started multiple games.

If you had finished reading it, maybe you wouldn't be so clueless? It was pretty far from a write up. So "nice try" back at you.

as brad smith goes, he TD to INT ratio was pretty poor for college, i don't have them in front of me but i know he threw 9 picks one year, maybe 13 in another. That's basically one a game. It doesn't instill much confidence in that regard, however he did play well in that preseason finale last year. Who know, i don't think our next qb will be Smith, i hope its kellen, but continualy drafting QB's can become a rut. Not that we are there yet by any means, everyone saw what happened to the bengals when they kept blowing picks on the akili smith's of the world.

Brad Smith = emergency QB

I cant really buy into these reports. To me it sounds like the Jets are just trying to get away with him doing trick plays for yet another season by telling the media (and other teams in the league at the same time) that now Smith is going to throw the ball. It might keep the running lanes more open if teams think Smith might actually pass the ball instead of running it this season. He's an awful passer....

But maybe this is the year he actually does the reverse and throws the ball instead of running it.

Also, f Clemens is a bust, there will be hell to pay but its wayyyy to early to say that considering he's never started multiple games.

I remember some conversations as to why vick was able to get so much yards on QB keepers. I never really thought about it before, but you get that extra blocker. If the QB hands the ball off its 10 v 11, if the QB just runs its 11 v 11.

like you said, this sounds like a play to get teams to wonder what the jets are thinking, hopefully they have more faith in him to throw the ball a bit on those reverses, could be really interesting to see his stat line at the end of the year.

Who know, i don't think our next qb will be Smith, i hope its kellen, but continualy drafting QB's can become a rut. Not that we are there yet by any means, everyone saw what happened to the bengals when they kept blowing picks on the akili smith's of the world.

I agree that drafting QB's year after year is a bad thing. But then again, not fixing a QB situation is also bad. It's too early to tell wheter Kellen can make it, but during this season the coaches should get enough of a grasp on him to tell. If he doesn't have it.... get another. Who's up for free agency after this season by the way? Anyone decent?

I remember some conversations as to why vick was able to get so much yards on QB keepers. I never really thought about it before, but you get that extra blocker. If the QB hands the ball off its 10 v 11, if the QB just runs its 11 v 11.

like you said, this sounds like a play to get teams to wonder what the jets are thinking, hopefully they have more faith in him to throw the ball a bit on those reverses, could be really interesting to see his stat line at the end of the year.

It is exactly what Mangini is doing IMO, and its a great strategy. They'll probably let him throw the ball around alot in preseason games to show his arm off alittle, trying to make it seem as if they are legitimately making him a passing threat for the regular season. I dont buy it for a second, though.

They are going to milk this whole "Brad Smith XYZ do anything man" thing until it runs dry. It was a huge part of our offense last season and we'd miss the production badly if it stopped working.

I live in Tampa, that pic is from my girlfriend's family beach house in Holden Beach, N. C.

Wow man, i was just down in Holden Beach week before last with my g/f and her family. Probably drove by that house on the way to the beach everyday. Only thing that sucked was while we were down there, the sea-weed was horrible...piled on the beach, and couldnt jump into the ocean without walking through a ton of it.

Wow man, i was just down in Holden Beach week before last with my g/f and her family. Probably drove by that house on the way to the beach everyday. Only thing that sucked was while we were down there, the sea-weed was horrible...piled on the beach, and couldnt jump into the ocean without walking through a ton of it.

I've never seen the seaweed that bad there, that sucks.

There's nothing better than buying fresh shrimp right off the boat and throwing them on the grill. Also, Scoops is quite possibly the best ice cream anywhere.

I've never seen the seaweed that bad there, that sucks.

There's nothing better than buying fresh shrimp right off the boat and throwing them on the grill. Also, Scoops is quite possibly the best ice cream anywhere.

Scoops was great...never been much of a waffle cone person, but their waffle cones were by far the best i've ever had.

as brad smith goes, he TD to INT ratio was pretty poor for college, i don't have them in front of me but i know he threw 9 picks one year, maybe 13 in another. That's basically one a game. It doesn't instill much confidence in that regard, however he did play well in that preseason finale last year. Who know, i don't think our next qb will be Smith, i hope its kellen, but continualy drafting QB's can become a rut. Not that we are there yet by any means, everyone saw what happened to the bengals when they kept blowing picks on the akili smith's of the world.

It's forgivable when you get 15-20 TD's on the ground. A touchdown is a touchdown.

Archived