Jets news for 8/1/07

TaborJet

He's a 'Brick house

Ferguson works with Brown to get technique down

By RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, August 1st 2007, 4:00 AM

By the end of last season, the Brick was more like a Brickette.

Confirming the concerns raised by many NFL scouts before the 2006 draft, the Jets' D'Brickashaw Ferguson failed to maintain his weight, falling from 312 pounds (his listed weight) to about 290. In his line of work - playing left tackle, protecting Chad Pennington's blind side - that qualified as undersized.

As a result, Ferguson got pushed around at times as a rookie, especially in the running game. He also allowed 10 sacks, the sixth-highest total among offensive linemen, according to Stats, LLC. Considering where they drafted him (fourth overall), and the money they gave him ($17.6 million in guarantees), the Jets expected a little more.

But that was a light year ago. These days, the Brick is bigger (305 pounds), stronger and wiser, turning heads in training camp at Hofstra.

"His run-blocking," defensive end Shaun Ellis said, "has improved tremendously."

When Ferguson arrived last season from Virginia, he looked more like a power forward, closer to gangly than gargantuan. He's still not the latter - that's simply not his body type - but anyone can see the added thickness to his 6-5 frame. In pass-rushing drills, he handles bull-rushing moves better than last season.

"I think his technique has improved," Eric Mangini said. "He really focused on that in the offseason, in terms of the width of his base, his hand placement, his leverage. Those things have gotten better with experience and focus."

You might say Ferguson is in the midst of a mind-and-body makeover. After he addressed the body in the offseason, it's now a mind game. To help him, and the other tackles on the roster, the Jets hired former Pro Bowl tackle Lomas Brown, who will spend a few days at camp as a tutor.

Brown, who made seven Pro Bowls in a career that spanned from 1985 to 2002, was a guest instructor in the Jets' minicamp. He returned late Monday afternoon, embracing Ferguson as his prized pupil walked off the practice field. Clearly, they have developed a rapport.

"Whenever you can be part of (learning from) an individual such as Lomas Brown, watching him on tape and seeing how fluid he is and the types of techniques he uses, it's great," Ferguson said. "As a young player, I can look at that and say, 'This is a guy who has done it, let me try to pattern myself after him.'"

The Brown invitation was the idea of assistant line coach Mike Devlin, who played with Brown in Arizona from 1996 to 1998. One stop later, Brown started for the Giants' Super Bowl team in 2000. He's the ideal mentor for Ferguson because he, too, was an undersized left tackle (6-4, 280) who used athleticism and textbook technique to compensate for his lack of girth. The Brown-Ferguson comparison was on the lips of many scouts before and after the '06 draft.

The Jets' objective was "to put those two guys together...and let them talk through the left-tackle play," Mangini said.

Evidently, Mangini didn't want Brown to talk about it to the media, as the club declined to make him available for interviews.

On the second day of camp, Mangini offered unsolicited praise of Ferguson, mentioning his improved nutrition and weight-room habits. The question is whether he can maintain his weight and stamina, avoiding the late-season swoon that caught up to him as a rookie.

Ferguson is modest when discussing his goals for the upcoming season, but it's obvious he expects to do better than last year, which he described as "okay, but not where I want to be." This is year two; the weight is over.

Jets Waive Fisher

The Tony Fisher era is over -- after only four days of practice.

The veteran running back, who signed last Saturday to replace departed third-stringer Cedric Houston, was waived today. To replace him, the Jets signed veteran free agent Tony Hollings, formerly of the Texans. Hey, when a guy like Hollings becomes available, you have to pounce on him.

Fisher finished his Jets career 14,101 yards behind Curtis Martin on the team's all-time rushing list.

Pardon me if I'm in a punchy mood, but I just got finished watching the late afternoon/evening practice, which was filled with a lot of trick plays. There was enough razzle dazzle to leave your head spinning. It looked like O.C. Brian Schottenheimer ripped out the last few pages of his playbook and told his players, "Let's try these today."

I'd love to describe in detail some of the razzle-dazzle plays, but that would be violating one of the team's media rules:

Thou shall not help Belichick by posting Xs and Os on a blog.

Sorry, you're just going to have to show up in person to see the good stuff.

Some practice nuggets:

No Revis means it's Miller time

Unsigned first-round pick Darrelle Revis has missed five days of training camp, a total of eight practices. The contract dispute has no end in sight, with the two sides haggling over the length of contract (five years versus six) along with other issues.

In the meantime, coach Eric Mangini continues to praise CB Justin Miller, who is receiving more practice reps with Revis not in camp.

"Every repetition that you miss is an opportunity for someone else to get that rep, and for them to show what they can do and how they can help the team win," Mangini said yesterday, perhaps trying to turn up the heat on Revis. "It's really a great opportunity for those other guys."

Revis is one of seven unsigned first-round picks. The Jets are insisting on a six-year deal even though only one player in the top half of Round 1 has signed a straight six-year deal. Players want the shorter contract so they can hit free agency sooner.

COME AND GO: Veteran RB Tony Fisher, who was signed last Saturday to replace the departed Cedric Houston, was waived. The Jets signed former Texan Tony Hollings.

IN AND OUT: The Jets practiced yesterday without their two starting guards from last season. Pete Kendall remained on the sideline with an apparent knee injury. He did some running on the side.... Brandon Moore was excused from the morning practice because of personal reasons, but he returned for the second session. Adrian Jones and Adrien Clarke worked with the starters at left and right guard, respectively.

TAKE A SEAT: CB Andre Dyson missed both practices with an undisclosed injury. He was replaced by Miller....CB David Barrett is playing with a hard cast on his left hand/forearm. It appears to be a thumb injury. ...FB Darian Barnes, signed because of his blocking ability, made an impact in the goal-line drill as Thomas Jones' lead blocker. "He really does add a tempo-changing element to the offense," Mangini said. ...Former Cowboys DE Kenyon Coleman, the Jets' big-money addition in free agency, is getting most of the reps at right end. He likely will supplant Kimo von Oelhoffen.

SEEING RED: Mangini lost his patience during a red-zone drill, making the entire offense run a penalty lap because it had only 10 players on the field. RB Alvin Banks was late into the formation, prompting QB Kellen Clemens to scream, "Get in here!" After a moment or two of confusion, Mangini sent everybody for a run. Afterward, Mangini was none too pleased.

GOAL-ORIENTED: In a spirited goal-line drill, the starting offense scored three straight times against the top defense. "We have to stop them, that's the name of the game," LB Jonathan Vilma said. "We didn't stop them, so I was really bothered."

Rich Cimini

KELLEN KEEPS WORKIN'

By DAN MARTIN

August 1, 2007 -- Kellen Clemens played in two games last year during his rookie season and threw one pass.

The Jets undoubtedly would take similar numbers from Clemens this year, because that likely would mean Chad Pennington stayed healthy for a second straight season.

But given Pennington's past injury trouble, coupled with the somewhat shaky status of the Jets' offensive line, Clemens' role is important, something he realizes and is willing to accept.

During yesterday's morning practice, the second-year player out of Oregon, on whom the Jets spent a second-round pick, did something he's rarely done since joining the team. Working with the offense's second unit, Clemens uncharacteristically barked at rookie running back Alvin Banks, who wasn't on the field before a play.

"I don't know if I've done that here before," said Clemens, who has been inconsistent during this training camp. "But I feel I've gained the status here a little bit and earned the right to call people out when I need to."

That attitude is fine with Eric Mangini, who forced the entire offense to take a penalty lap for the formation snafu.

"You are always looking for that from quarterbacks," Mangini said. "The reaction should be, it is not OK to have breakdowns."

It was Pennington who eventually got the offense performing to Mangini's standards. Clemens has yet to stand out during camp or previously during organized team activities. He has struggled with his accuracy.

A year ago, Clemens stood on equal footing with Pennington under first-year head coach Mangini. Clemens said he's fine with the fact the starter's role is not up for grabs again.

"It's a different situation," Clemens said. "Chad had a great year last year. We're all trying to chase Chad and make him better. So you take the reps when they come and make the most of them."

Clemens ended up spending much of last year on the inactive list, behind Pennington and Patrick Ramsey, who is now with the Broncos. His primary competition this year is multitasking Brad Smith and former Raider Marques Tuiasosopo.

"We're all going for the same thing," Clemens said. "But this year, I'm much more comfortable."

Pennington said he believes he knows why and can relate to Clemens' plight.

"A lot of times, I'll come in [to the training complex] and he's already here, or I'll be leaving and he stays a bit later," said Pennington, himself a student of the game. Kellen is doing all the necessary things [that] whenever his opportunity comes about, I think he'll be ready."

The Jets hope they don't have to find out.

dan.martin@nypost.com

NO PROGRESS FOR KENDALL, REVIS

By DAN MARTIN

August 1, 2007 -- Pete Kendall is still doing little besides stretching, and Darrelle Revis remains nowhere to be found at Jets training camp.

"Nothing has changed from my perspective," the disgruntled Kendall said.

That also seems to be the case with Revis, the Jets' first-round draft pick who has yet to report to camp, although the cornerback has been in contact with some of his teammates.

"I talked to him last night and he said he was eager to get back to us," said LB David Harris, the team's second-round pick this year. "He feels like he's missing a lot of stuff."

Eric Mangini would agree and he is growing increasingly displeased with Revis' absence as the player's agent and Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum haggle over the length of the contract.

"Every practice is important," the coach said. "We're either installing things or going over previous installations."

The coaching staff isn't waiting around for Revis.

"Each rep you miss is an opportunity for someone else," said Mangini, adding that the fact Revis is missing won't change their defensive system. "Not one bit. We're moving on. The information goes to the players who are here."

Kendall, who is upset with his current contract, and Revis are represented by Neil Schwartz.

"Regardless of whether there are emotions involved, I think Mike and Neil are both rational and professional enough to handle each situation differently," said Kendall, who again did not discuss what injury is keeping him off the field, per team policy.

As for his contract situation, Kendall, who was cut during camp by the Cardinals prior to coming to the Jets in 2004, said, "I guess it's all part of the process. I haven't been through a process quite like this before."

QB Chad Pennington and Mangini both spoke about Bill Walsh, who died Monday.

Pennington played in Walsh's West Coast offense under former coordinator Paul Hackett, who coached under Walsh.

"My first few years in the league, I heard a lot of Bill Walsh stories," Pennington said. "It's amazing the type of influence he had."

Harris has stood out to Mangini because of his enthusiasm, although the coach said that sometimes it gets the best of the linebacker and he winds up offsides. Yesterday, Harris made the hit of the day, crushing rookie RB Alvin Banks. . . . WR Jerricho Cotchery was shaken up during the morning session when he slammed into some padding near the goalpost on an overthrown pass attempt by Pennington. Cotchery missed a few plays before coming back. . . . OG Brandon Moore missed practice yesterday because of personal reasons. CB Andre Dyson was held out for a second straight day due to an injury.

After 13 seasons, Jets' Hamilton still spunky

BY TOM ROCK

tom.rock@newsday.com

August 1, 2007

Few players seem to be having as much fun this training camp as Bobby Hamilton. At a time in his career when most are grumbling through drills and griping about the heat, Hamilton, entering his 13th season, has been one of the most animated and jovial of the Jets. He's also showing some decent production.

"I think he loves the game, loves being at practice and loves being a football player," Mangini said of the second-oldest Jet in camp (about six months younger than fellow defensive end Kimo von Oelhoffen).

That was evident yesterday when, in 11-on-11 drills, Hamilton jumped around and forced rookie guard Robert Turner to flinch offsides. Hamilton cheered and gave Turner a playful boot to the backside as he began a penalty lap for the infraction.

"Every year I have to prove a point to myself and, really, to everyone else that I can still play," Hamilton said. "I don't worry about what I did in the past. Nobody cares about that."

Chansi encounter

Rookie receiver Chansi Stuckey from Clemson is starting to look like a seventh-round steal with his speed and hands, though Mangini said there are still rough edges.

"With all these rookies there are some growing pains," Mangini said. "We had some adjustments he missed [sunday] that he needs to be more consistent and fluid with."

Jet streams

Neither the Darrelle Revis negotiations nor the Pete Kendall "trade-or-release me" demand have seen progress. Kendall (leg) was sidelined for the third straight day ... CB Andre Dyson missed a second straight day with an injury, and RG Brandon Moore was excused for "personal reasons" ... WR Jerricho Cotchery crashed into the padded base of the mechanical lift behind the end zone while lunging for a ball. He got up slowly but appeared fine ... The offense had to run a penalty lap after rookie RB Danny Ware wasn't sure if he belonged on the field or not. "I explained to the team after practice that we have all day," said Mangini, who presided over the longest practice of camp (two hours, 26 minutes) ... RB Tony Fisher was waived and replaced by former Texans RB Tony Hollings.

7-time Pro Bowler Brown works with D'Brickashaw

BY TOM ROCK

tom.rock@newsday.com

August 1, 2007

The Jets brought a Pro Bowl offensive tackle to training camp. No, not to play. Lomas Brown's days of suiting up for two-a-days are over. But the team is hoping the 18-year veteran can dispense a bit of knowledge and experience, and help put the luster back on the jewel of last year's draft class.

Though he was taken with the No. 4 overall selection of the 2006 draft, in many ways D'Brickashaw Ferguson's season wasn't as productive as some others drafted behind him. Center Nick Mangold, taken later in the first round, seemed much more comfortable as their rookie seasons progressed. The contributions of late-round picks such as Leon Washington, Brad Smith and Eric Smith could be seen clearly on the field.

For Ferguson, it was hard to tell which was harder for him to handle as a rookie, the expectations or the defensive ends. Both seemed bigger than him.

He started 16 games and gave up 10 sacks, but more significant was the way he visibly lost weight during the season. Since the Jets' playoff loss, though, Ferguson said he has packed on about 10 pounds and bulked up his muscle mass to become stronger. Those offseason strides have seemingly paid immediate dividends. By the second day of training camp, Eric Mangini was praising him.

"I've seen that work here early," the coach said. "It looks like that's paid off and I've been pleased with that, and it's only [been] one day. You can see the things that he really focused on playing out here as we put the pads on."

When the Jets selected Ferguson, there were immediate comparisons to Brown as an undersized but athletic left tackle. Brown, who retired after the 2002 season after seven Pro Bowls and a Super Bowl ring with the Bucs, played for the Giants in 2000 and 2001. He finished his career listed at 6-4, 280 pounds. Ferguson is listed at 6-6, 312. Undersized has changed a lot in a few years.

Still, those comparisons stuck with Mike Devlin, a Jets offensive line coach, who first suggested introducing the two players to each other in a mentor-pupil relationship. Since he's been here at training camp, Brown has also forged a father-figure role with many on the Jets' young offensive line.

"His primary focus is to work with Brick, but he's got so much experience that he's working with the whole group," Mangini said of Brown's contributions.

Mangold said even though he plays a different position than Brown did, he can still take the 44-year-old's advice when it comes to subjects such as mental and physical preparation for the season. It always helps to hear stories from the trenches.

That's nice. But Brown is here to help Ferguson with his technique and mental approach. He's here to fix Brick's ticks.

Ferguson said he watched film of Brown and noticed how fluid he was and the varying situational techniques he used. "As a young player, you look at that and say, 'This is a guy who's done it, let me try to pattern myself after him,' " Ferguson said.

And if Ferguson can further emulate Brown with a handful of trips to Hawaii, well, the relationship between the two will be even more worthwhile.

Jets rookie, Mangold: Two of a kind

August 1, 2007

Two of a kind

During rookie minicamp this spring, Nick Mangold (right) was getting odd text messages from the Jets. Such as "What are you doing in the building?" and "Hey, I just saw your brother."

"I was like, 'What are they talking about?' " the second-year center said. "Then I came in the next Monday and yeah, it was kind of scary."

Turns out Mangold's distinctive look - long blond hair and bushy beard - was also the calling card of rookie offensive lineman and doppelganger Andrew Wicker (left). It's tough to tell between Mangold and Fool's Mangold.

The bottom line

TE Joe Kowalewski's toughness has impressed Eric Mangini. "He's a grinder," the coach said.

Jets' Vilma mentors promising rookie Harris

BY KATIE STRANG

caitlin.strang@newsday.com

August 1, 2007

With first-round draft choice Darrelle Revis still holding out, linebacker David Harris is the highest pick at Jets training camp. The Jets traded up in the second round to scoop up the 6-2, 243-pound standout from Michigan, where he was a semifinalist for the Dick Butkus Award, given annually to the top linebacker in the country.

Harris has worked primarily with the second team throughout camp, getting reps at middle and inside linebacker. Harris has had to make the transition from a 4-3 defense at Michigan to a 3-4 with the Jets, a difficult task for the rookie.

"The 3-4 is a lot different from the 4-3. There's a lot more checks, more communications," Harris said. "As a rookie you'll always have your learning troubles."

But Harris has found a mentor in Jonathan Vilma. Harris said Vilma knows what's going on before every play and has helped the rookie by giving him the heads-up with the various runs and checks.

"It's a great chemistry, it's a great bond," Harris said of the camaraderie between the rookies and the veterans. "We're just trying to soak everything up from them while we get our feet wet."

With Harris' size and athletic ability, Vilma expects him to start contributing as soon as he adjusts to the demands of the pro game. "You have to let him go through his growing pains," Vilma said. "We drafted him for a reason. He's a good backer, a physical backer."

Coach Eric Mangini said Harris has done a nice job throughout camp, and partially attributed his performance to his rapport with Vilma and other experienced players. "He's got the work ethic we're looking for, he's very bright, and he's done a nice job at picking the brains of the veteran linebackers," Mangini said.

One issue Mangini has worked on with Harris is staying onsides. Although Mangini said he likes Harris' intensity, he said, "The enthusiasm needs to be tempered until the ball is snapped."

But if his enthusiasm has been detrimental in some areas, it has been successful in others. Known primarily as a run stuffer in college, where he was largely responsible for Michigan leading the nation in rush defense (43.38 yards per game in 2006), Harris has excelled while practicing at middle linebacker. The highlight yesterday was when he stopped Alvin Banks up the middle with a big hit, giving the boisterous defensive unit an added spark.

Mangini said he wants Harris, as well as other linebackers, to get reps at all positions so they get used to the different personnel and coverage situations.

"I've played middle [linebacker] all my life," Harris said. "If they wanted me to run my head into the wall, I'd do it."

Jets looking to Bowens for a push

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Jets defensive end David Bowens is a bowling junkie who boasts a 221 average with a personal best of 275. His father, Frank Williams, competed on the Pro Bowlers' Tour in the 1980s.

Yesterday, the former Miami Dolphin was asked what he likes better -- knocking down bowling pins or NFL quarterbacks.

"It's similar," Bowens said through a hearty laugh between practices at Hofstra. "Both are competitive sports, but knocking down quarterbacks gets me a paycheck right now."

The Jets signed Bowens to a three-year, $6.1 million contract this off-season with the hope that he can energize their plodding pass rush, which had 35 sacks last season. That total was 15th-most in the NFL, a deceiving ranking because the Jets rarely seemed to get a sack when they most needed one.

Bowens notched 18 sacks the past three seasons with the Dolphins, including five a year ago. He will be counted on -- along with LB Victor Hobson and DE Bryan Thomas (team-high 8 1/2 sacks in 2006) -- to spark the pass rush in coach Eric Mangini's 3-4 defense. Although he's the newcomer among that group, Bowens said the Dolphins' defensive scheme under former coach Nick Saban is nearly identical to the Jets'.

"In Miami, it is easy (to get sacks) when you have Jason Taylor on one side because a lot of the focus is on him," Bowens said. "The rest is just effort. This defense, I'm really familiar with. In this defense, you have to have a lot of athletic linebackers that can play defensive end. It gives you a lot of options in what you can do. That's the key. They have to be interchangeable."

Mangini said he likes Bowens because he's an every-down player. When he comes into the game, it won't tip off what the Jets are doing.

"I'll do whatever the team needs," the 6-3, 265-pound Bowens said. "Everybody knows I can play linebacker and everybody knows I can rush the passer. If they need me to hold for field goals, I'm with that. We have a lot of athletic guys, and I'm sure they'll put the best people out there."

Bowens, 30, routinely studies opposing offensive linemen, tight ends and running backs he's about to face, looking for tendencies and a way to gain an edge. As he gets older, he realizes he may slow down a bit physically but he can make up for it by being sharp mentally.

The Jets are Bowens' fifth team in nine NFL seasons, following the Broncos, Packers, Redskins and Dolphins. He was in Miami for the past 5 1/2 seasons, but prior relationships with Mangini assistant coaches Bryan Cox (an old friend), Jim Hermann (his coach at Michigan) and Dan Quinn (his coach in Miami) weighed heavily in his decision to sign with the Jets.

Once Bowens met Mangini, he said he was sold. And now he will get to experience the flip side of the heated Jets-Dolphins rivalry.

"It is awesome," Bowens said. "Someone wrote into my Web site asking if my hatred transfers (to the Dolphins). It transferred immediately."

Dave Hutchinson may be reached at

dhutchinson@starledger.com

Jets Day in Camp

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

PLAYER PROFILE

TE JOE KOWALEWSKI

During their 2006 rookie minicamp, the Jets had their draft picks, signed free agents and tryout hopefuls on hand. Tight end Joe Kowalewski was among the tryout hopefuls after having his senior season at Syracuse interrupted by a shoulder injury.

"Joe was one of those guys that showed that weekend that he really belonged," Jets coach Eric Mangini said. "It's really a good story in terms of being presented with an opportunity. He brought enough clothes to stay (that weekend) and he had to buy more clothes."

Kowalewski remembers that weekend well.

"I really wanted it," he said. "I knew it was my one shot."

After spending last season on the Jets' practice squad, Kowalewski has been impressive early in training camp, battling Sean Ryan and Jason Pociask for the backup tight end spot behind Chris Baker.

"He has a nice combination of power at the point of attack, he has a good feel down the field, good vertical speed, a good feel for route-running and it's getting better," Mangini said of Kowalewski. "With Joe, you tell him how to do it and he tries to do it exactly that way. We love that attitude."

Kowalewski was a two-year starter at Syracuse, finishing with 33 career catches for 441 yards and three TDs. He blocked in an option offense until his senior year, when the Orange switched to a West Coast offense. He had a career-high seven catches for 96 yards against Virginia last season before injuring his shoulder and missing four games. He had postseason surgery.

"I'm just trying to get better every day ... get the coaches to trust me," Kowalewski said. "I'm trying to be the best I can be because I'm not just competing against these guys but every (tight end) in the NFL. If we don't get the job done, they'll find somebody who can."

WHO'S HOT

Rookie LB David Harris drilled RB Alvin Banks in a running drill. ... FB Darian Barnes was punishing as a lead blocker.

WHO'S NOT

No one has emerged in the battle for the backup QB job among Kellen Clemens, Marques Tuiasosopo and Brad Smith. ... Mangini made the entire offense run a punishment lap at one point yesterday.

SCARE OF THE DAY

WR Jerricho Cotchery went hard into the padding at the bottom of a mechanical lift the coaches use to view and videotape practice. He laid on the ground for several seconds before getting up. He was okay.

QUICK HITS

The Jets yesterday released RB Tony Fisher and signed RB Tony Hollings. ... No news on the Darrelle Revis (holdout) or Pete Kendall fronts. ... Technically, the Jets didn't fine WR Chansi Stuckey for being out late with CB Justin Miller in May because he wasn't signed at the time. His signing bonus was reduced from $40,000 to $30,000 and the $10,000 was put in an unlikely-to-be-earned incentive. ... G Brandon Moore was excused from practice for personal reasons.

INJURY REPORT

CB Andre Dyson (leg), G Pete Kendall (leg), LB Matt Chatham (foot), WR Tim Dwight (foot) and C Andrew Wicker (undisclosed) didn't practice.

DEPTH CHART

The Jets are looking for a third running back behind Thomas Jones and Leon Washington. The candidates include rookies Alvin Banks and Danny Ware. No one has emerged from the pack.

Jets notebook

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Revis still absent

Day 5 of Jets training camp came and went without cornerback Darrelle Revis. His holdout is the longest by a Jet since wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson stayed out for more than three weeks in 1996.

Revis wants a five-year deal and the Jets want to sign him to a six-year contract. But of the 25 first-round picks who have signed, only fourth selection Gaines Adams, a Rams' defensive end, has signed a six-year deal.

"We all want [Revis] back," second-round pick David Harris said Tuesday, "but he's trying to work out his contract situation with the organization. Actually I talked to him [Monday] night. He said he's eager to get back with the fellas. He feels like he's missing out on a lot of stuff."

When asked about Revis, coach Eric Mangini said, "Each rep that you miss is an opportunity for someone else to get that rep and for them to show what they can do.''

Kendall update

Unhappy left guard Pete Kendall sat out both practices Tuesday because of a leg injury. He has not been fined or disciplined by the team for speaking out about his contract situation, and his agent, Neil Schwartz, indicated Tuesday that the Jets' conduct in this situation should be examined.

Schwartz said he believes the Jets have engaged in a "pattern of behavior" that has resulted in "conduct detrimental to the player," referring to Kendall's demotion to the second team, his original assignment to the rookie dorm and a failure by the team to make him available to the media Saturday despite requests.

Briefs

RG Brandon Moore was excused from practice for personal reasons. ... CB Andre Dyson sat out practice with an apparent leg injury. ... The Jets released veteran RB Tony Fisher, and signed RB Tony Hollings, who played for the Texans in 2003-04.

-- J.P. Pelzman

Jets' tackle under wing of former great Lomas Brown

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

By J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y.

When D'Brickashaw Ferguson was standing at the podium at Radio City Music Hall after being drafted fourth overall in April 2006, he was asked about Lomas Brown, who played 18 years in the NFL at offensive tackle and was a player whom Ferguson patterned himself after.

"A lot of times in this game we focus on size so much," Ferguson said, "and to look at a quality offensive lineman like Brown, [a] tall guy, skinny guy [with] long arms, it spoke volumes to me. Because I could see that even though he was not 315 pounds, he could still be a great player at the level he was at. So I aspired to be as good as him, even better."

Ferguson certainly hasn't reached that level yet after an inconsistent rookie year. But he wants very badly to get there, and lately he's been getting advice from Brown himself.

Brown is working with the Jets' offensive linemen as a consultant during training camp, and is paying special attention to left tackle Ferguson.

"They have some similarities in their types of play," coach Eric Mangini said of Ferguson and Brown, "where they can talk about that and the challenges that one would face having that style. [Offensive line coach] Mike Devlin actually thought of the idea, because of their similar styles, to put those two guys together and let them spend some time together."

"Lomas is an excellent player," Ferguson said. "He's been to a lot of Pro Bowls [seven] and he's a good person to learn from given the fact that he was in a similar position.

"He was an individual that used great technique to achieve his goals and whenever you can learn from an individual like that, it's very beneficial. ... You look at all the great left tackles in the league and you try to pull from all of the good things they do to incorporate into your own skills."

Brown was not available for comment.

Ferguson was very good in the first half of last season, but was less effective down the stretch as his weight dipped into the 290s. Against Buffalo on Dec. 10, Ferguson allowed two sacks to Buffalo's Aaron Schobel. One of Ferguson's main objectives in the off-season was to build his strength and stamina. He's slightly above 300 pounds now.

" is one of many tools that is necessary," Ferguson said. "I think it's a great tool coupled with other tools.''

Mangini offered unsolicited praise of Ferguson on the second day of camp, saying that Ferguson "had a really good off-season" and "did a lot of good work in the weight room."

Ferguson has looked sharp in camp, both in one-on-one drills and in 11-on-11 situations.

"I think every year you set goals for yourself," he said, "and again you try to improve upon previous things. And my goal is to be better, work on the small things that might have gone under the radar and to work on the things the team needs."

As the main protector of quarterback Chad Pennington's blind side, Ferguson realizes the responsibility that comes with that.

"We're all trying to improve as a team," he said, "and that has to start with me improving my skills."

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

The newest Jet

July 31

(By Andrew Gross)

Out with the old, in this case, running back Tony Fisher, and in with the new.

That would be ex-Texan running back Tony Hollings, signed this afternoon and on the field for the just-completed evening practice, though he did not partake in any team drills.

It was somewhat comical. Hollings walked onto the field shortly after the 5:45 p.m. session began, wearing the same No. 32 that Fisher had been assigned. (For those scoring at home, that

The newest Jet

July 31

(By Andrew Gross)

Out with the old, in this case, running back Tony Fisher, and in with the new.

That would be ex-Texan running back Tony Hollings, signed this afternoon and on the field for the just-completed evening practice, though he did not partake in any team drills.

It was somewhat comical. Hollings walked onto the field shortly after the 5:45 p.m. session began, wearing the same No. 32 that Fisher had been assigned. (For those scoring at home, that

"A lot of times, I'll come in [to the training complex] and he's already here, or I'll be leaving and he stays a bit later," said Pennington, himself a student of the game. Kellen is doing all the necessary things [that] whenever his opportunity comes about, I think he'll be ready."

Archived