Eye on the Run Defense

4HCrew

I think with all of the focus around the Kendall saga and Revis holdout some of the Jets problems from last year are not being discussed. The rush defense last year was a problem and there were some scary flashbacks on Friday. This is something that has to be improved upon from last year.

I think with all of the focus around the Kendall saga and Revis holdout some of the Jets problems from last year are not being discussed. The rush defense last year was a problem and there were some scary flashbacks on Friday. This is something that has to be improved upon from last year.

Don't worry man, our run D will be alot better than last season.

Last year was Mangini's first season as a rookie coach for this Jets team...

We went from a 4-3 one year with Herm... To a 3-4 the next with Mangini.

Players such as Vilma, Robertson, Barton, Hobson, Ellis will all play alot better this season. We just went and drafted a run stuffing MLB in D.Harris who is physical enough to push the D-Line and actually free up Vilma to make the plays on plays that need to be made.

Also we will have a better rush game this season with Jones and Washington which should actually keep the D off the field a whole lot more. Last season we had drives end with our 1-2 punch in Barlow and Blaylock, this season I really feel that we will play ball control, keep the D off the field, and actually put up alot more points and I really feel that teams will be passing a whole lot more... Im actually nervious about our secondary this season without Revis.

P.S... This is all talk, but we will find out what we have in this run D come week 2 when we play the Ravens and the Jet killer in W.McGahaee. If we can contain Willis to less than 100 yards, I say we are on the right track.

But I really expect this D as a whole, D-Line (Peace out Kimo) LB's (With the addition of Harris and B.Thomas playing great) And the secondary led by Rhodes to play at a higher level than last season knowing that this is actually our 2nd season running the 3-4.

Agreed. The run defense is still a concern, even with the addition of Harris. That 10 yard basically untouched touchdown run by Norwood still is erking me and that was a Preseason game. Not good. The run defense has to improve from last year if we are going to make a legitimate run at New England for the AFC East crown.

Run defense and pass rush...got to improve...has to before we can be taken seriously.

We need someone to complement Bryan Thomas. Hopefully David Bowens on 3rd down situations can be that guy. Victor Hobson will still start, and rightfully so, but Bowens brings the best pass rush for passing down situations.

Run defense and pass rush...got to improve...has to before we can be taken seriously.

You are not going to be an elite team unless you can stop the run- if that is not fixed the Jets will not be better than last year.

And for the money Coleman is getting he better make a difference

Indeed. If Kenyon Coleman does not start over Kimo von Oelhoffen then we have got some major issues on the Defensive Line once again. In the end though, I believe Coleman will be starting September 9th and he will give this front 7 and the entire defense a much needed boost in the running game and pass rushing department.

Tell me if this drove anyone else crazy on Friday night. Was it my imagination, or did it seem like it took the Jets forever to get downfield when we'd KO? Then, Atlanta would run back somewhere in the area of their own 40. Seemed like it happened all night, almost every time. Thoughts? Was I dreaming? :bag:

Coleman looked great in his limited action Friday. He will absolutely start, and he showed signs of great, nay outstanding play. DRob ate up the double team and Coleman abused his blocker to tackle the RB a couple of times. David Harris did not play with the 1st team, but he was the stud on the field for the 2nd team D. He will eventually take over for Barton, and this run D will be vastly improved. Barton was the reason for the Norwood TD, but they were in base 3-4 with the safety arriving too late. The front seven will be Ellis, DRob, Coleman, Thomas, Harris, Vilma, Hobson/Bowens IMO. They will be very good; both at stopping the run, and applying pressure on the QB.

The Jets weakest link Friday was the secondary. Dyson looks slow. E. Coleman was nonexistent. Barrett was around, but far away from spectacular. Rhodes was almost. JOEY HARRINGTON MOVED THE CHAINS WITH HIS PASSING...

I'm not real concerned right now about the run defense because I believe from watching the game that the coaches weren't running any schemes but just lining up man on man and trying to get a look at one on one matchups.

One thing I did see in this game was the Jets used a 4-3 alignment much more than at any time last season.Mangini appears to be moving closer to that morphing style 3-4,4-3,46 defense that the Patriots have used to such good effect over the last few years.

Overall I was pretty pleased with the way the team operated.:)

Archived