Taking A Look At The Wide Receivers

dwalsh

http://www.jetscentral.com/?p=482

After thinking about all of the talent we have at WR this year, I realized that we have too much talent! We won’t be able to keep everyone around.

Laveranues Coles

- Obviously our #1 receiver, great speed and hands. In my opinion a top-15 WR in the NFL.

Jerricho Cotchery
- A bona fide #2. Would probably be a #1 on a few teams. He and Coles make a great duo and compliment each other very well.

Justin McCareins
- Will he stay or will he go? Thats all we’ve been hearing about J-Mac since last season. After getting in Mangini’s doghouse last TC, he rebounded nicely and had a decent season. He appears to be in great shape, and is impressing everyone in camp. My guess, he remains a Jet.

Brad Smith
- Drafted in the 4th round last year. Could possibly be our #3 QB this year as well as a great gadget player who can line up at numerous positions. He has good speed and has displayed good hands. Can he learn the position and become a complete WR?

Chansi Stuckey
- Just drafted in the 7th round this past April. I view him as a “poor man’s Santana Moss”. I believe that he can contribute this year and could become a slot receiver for us. He has been great so far in camp and played very well in the first pre-season game. No way he gets cut.

Frisman Jackson
- A nice story, but is there room for him on the roster? I have heard nothing but positive reports about Jackson so far. Has been playing very well in camp, and had a strong game against the Falcons. Hopefully he can stick around on the practice squad this year, but he will probably get claimed by another team.

Tim Dwight
- We hardly knew thee. I haven’t heard his name coming out in camp reports and will probably get cut, in my humble opinion.

Wallace Wright
- A great special teams player, and a solid receiver. The coaching staff seems to like him, and so do I. He can contribute a lot on ST as mentioned, and is a very good #4 or #5 receiver. My guess, he makes the team.

So, the sparknotes version is that I believe the Jets’ receivers will be Laveranues Coles, Jerricho Cotchery, Justin McCareins, Brad Smith, Chansi Suckey, and Wallace Wright.

Trade Jmac and cut Tim Dwight I think that Stuckey will be on the team for sure. Frisman jackson is a quality NFL WR. Ya' gotta love Wallace Wright. Good post.

It's always good to have depth especially at WR, I think J-Mac is going to have a good season.

Stuckey will stick... the WR's will be C&C, McC, Wright, B Smith, and yes, Stuckey. Today it was Smith, Stuckey and Leon on punt returns. OK, so Revis may be the guy, but Stuckey has ST's value too, and I doubt they want to risk either Leon or Smith back there if, or until Revis wins that job. McCariens has gone from mMangini's dog hoouse to the penthouse with his work and attitude since the disaster of last year's TC. They will keep 6 WR's, if you include Smith.

Stuckey will stick... the WR's will be C&CMcC, Wright, B Smith, and yes, Stuckey. Today it was Smith, Stuckey and Leon on punt returns. OK, so Revis may be the guy, but Stuckey has St's value too, and I doubt they want to risk either Leon or Smith back there if, or until Revis wins that job. Mccareins has gone from mangini's dog house to the penthouse with his work and attitude since the disaster of last year's TC. They will keep 6 WR's, if you include Smith.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Stuckey will stick... the WR's will be C&C, McC, Wright, B Smith, and yes, Stuckey. Today it was Smith, Stuckey and Leon on punt returns. OK, so Revis may be the guy, but Stuckey has ST's value too, and I doubt they want to risk either Leon or Smith back there if, or until Revis wins that job. McCariens has gone from mMangini's dog hoouse to the penthouse with his work and attitude since the disaster of last year's TC. They will keep 6 WR's, if you include Smith.

As it should be.

Good point.

IMO Fris is on the bubble, and he will make the team only if they deal McC.

which I hope they don't do unless Denver gives us Mike Bell like Green Jets is suggesting over at JI-he would be a great addition and a great replacement for Cedric Houston.

Ideally though I'd like to see JMac stay b/c I think he'll catch 50 passes this year

which I hope they don't do unless Denver gives us Mike Bell like Green Jets is suggesting over at JI-he would be a great addition and a great replacement for Cedric Houston.

Ideally though I'd like to see JMac stay b/c I think he'll catch 50 passes this year

The need for a Cedric Houston type player diminished greatly with the arrival of Jones. JMac is far more valuable at this point IMO than Bell.

The Jets may be deep at receiver but they may need another TE, FB and/or RB. If they can use a guy like McCairens to upgrade at FB (dunno how badly Tutt is hurt) or one of the other spots then I think they have to do it. Smith and Stucky will be just fine as 3rd and 4th receivers, especially since the Jets seem willing to line anybody wide (Leon, Jones, etc).

The Jets may be deep at receiver but they may need another TE, FB and/or RB. If they can use a guy like McCairens to upgrade at FB (dunno how badly Tutt is hurt) or one of the other spots then I think they have to do it. Smith and Stucky will be just fine as 3rd and 4th receivers, especially since the Jets seem willing to line anybody wide (Leon, Jones, etc).

the thing about Tutt is I keep reading his name but have yet to see him DO anything...apparently they like the guy because he was a QB in college and now is a FB who can also play safety and we all know how The Tribe likes those multi-taskers

the thing about Tutt is I keep reading his name but have yet to see him DO anything...apparently they like the guy because he was a QB in college and now is a FB who can also play safety and we all know how The Tribe likes those multi-taskers

Tutt lined up wide against Atlanta, ran a deep route and was open, but he was overthrown.

Archived