Braves cut Bob Wickman.

GimmeShelter

Bob Wickman, RP ATL

News: The Atlanta Braves cut ties with struggling closer Bob Wickman on Friday, designating him for assignment. The move came a day after Wickman surrendered a game-winning two-run home run to the Reds' Adam Dunn. Wickman is 3-3 with a 3.92 ERA and 20 saves in 26 chances.

Manager Bobby Cox did not reveal his new closer, which could be one of several pitchers. He said Wickman had "not lately" pitched to expectations.

Analysis: Wickman, 38, saved his 20th game on Aug. 15 against the Giants, a night after blowing his sixth save. He has eight career 20-save seasons, including three in a row. Wickman was 38-for-45 in save opportunities with a 2.88 ERA since joining the Braves on July 23, 2006. Cox said Wickman made the trip with the team from Cincinnati before the Braves made the move. This is definitely a shocking move. Wickman will likely land on his feet with a contender, but he might not close out games.

Worth a flyer by the Mets IMO.

why did they cut him rather bench him?

dont they still have to pay the money regardless? he cant be worse than the other guys behind him on the depth chart, just put Soriano at closer

Because he's a locker room cancer.

He complained multiple times about pitching when there isn't an opportunity for him to earn the save.

Not to mention he has pitched horribly lately.

Good riddance.

Because he's a locker room cancer.

He complained multiple times about pitching when there isn't an opportunity for him to earn the save.

Not to mention he has pitched horribly lately.

Good riddance.

Thanks P2C. I was curious. I know he was gettin lit up pretty good of late.

well i guess theres a reason he didnt last in NY his first time around

and why he didnt last in cleveland

and why his career stats arent that impressive for a vet closer

what did he have on mike gonzalez gonig into the season as the closer to begin with

Archived