SNY- Bender at LG

Kentucky Jet

Bender takes over at left guard

Rookie replacing the departed Kendall

By Joe Kanakaraj / SNY.tv

Jacob Bender has a huge void to fill at left guard, replacing a former All-Pro in Pete Kendall (above). (AP)

My morning started off like every other morning this week. I strolled out of my apartment around 8:30 to catch the subway to work. My ritual is to grab a copy of the Daily News in front of the 110th /Cathedral Parkway station, and to pretty much have the whole thing read by the time I hit 14th Street. This morning, I was lucky enough to read an article by Rich Cimini saying that basically the Jets were set with Jacob Bender at left guard. Why not, right? I mean, the kid played tackle at a Nicholls State (Division 1-AA). So, why not throw him in there. I mean, he's been banging heads against powerhouses like Central Arkansas and Sam Houston State, why not line him up against the New England Patriots. The best part is that he's out of position, too. We have a rookie who was taken in the 6th round playing out of position against the Pats. Good times...

If you can't sense it, I'm a little skeptical with this move. Now, I'm not saying this kid won't be good, I'm just saying four preseason games might not be enough to vault him into the starting lineup just yet. He looked over matched at times against the Giants, and learned most of what he knows about LG from Pete Kendall, who's no longer here.

To be honest, if Jacob Bender is the LG by week four, I'd be shocked. I really see the Jets exploring some possible trade options. They seem to have some depth at CB now that Darrelle Revis is in camp, and I've heard Andre Dyson's name float around some various messages boards.

But Mangini has done crazier things in the past...

basically the Jets were set with Jacob Bender at left guard. Why not, right? I mean, the kid played tackle at a Nicholls State (Division 1-AA). So, why not throw him in there. I mean, he's been banging heads against powerhouses like Central Arkansas and Sam Houston State, why not line him up against the New England Patriots. The best part is that he's out of position, too. We have a rookie who was taken in the 6th round playing out of position against the Pats. Good times...

If you can't sense it, I'm a little skeptical with this move. Now, I'm not saying this kid won't be good, I'm just saying four preseason games might not be enough to vault him into the starting lineup just yet.

um, yeah, it's hard to disagree with that.

you can say that about alot of guys. the fact is he supposedly dominated at nichols state and anytime he played against anyone that was any good, he more than held his own. i would love to get someone like justin smiley, but im not willing to say right now that bender can't do the job.

didn't he hold his own against Carriker? At least thats what I heard..

He more than held his own,he stoned Carriker.Carriker never even sniffed the backfield,let alone touched the QB!!:)

The problem is the entire time is he was run blocking, he has absolutley no experience pass blocking. He also is playing a completely different position now.

Bender takes over at left guard

Rookie replacing the departed Kendall

By Joe Kanakaraj / SNY.tv

Jacob Bender has a huge void to fill at left guard, replacing a former All-Pro in Pete Kendall (above). (AP)

When the hell was Kendall ever on an All-Pro team?

didn't he hold his own against Carriker? At least thats what I heard..

The truth of the matter is that CARRIKER did not passrush much in the game BENDER allegedly held his own against him. His team jumped out to a great lead and in addition to not playing much, when he was in there, he did not passrush. BENDER is a very talented player and will be very good in a short period of time. Just not this soon. It is a new position for him and he has little experience pass blocking. NICHOLLS STATE was a running - first school when he played there..

Archived