A Positive thread about the Jets.

DefenseWinsChampionships

Please guys... Lets not talk about the negatives that concerns this Jets team.Lets just try and focus on the positive things we see in this Jets team as fans.

Lets just try and stick to one positive per post.

Ill start it off, I think this can actually be a pretty good thread.

-Year 2 under the Mangini 3-4 D. Will be my positive.

Alot of players, coaches, and fans say it can take some time, and even some seasons for players to understand the 3-4 scheme and actually play it the "Right Way"

The fact that we have players in the front 7 such as Ellis, Robertson, Vilma, Hobson, Barton, and B.Thomas in year 2 under a 3-4 D when all they ever knew how to play was the 4-3 under Herm Edwards is really starting to excite me as fan. Add the fact that we just drafted a player in D.Harris who played the 3-4 D in Michigan... And guess what? I'm starting to have high hopes for this front 7 with Mangini in our 2nd year running the 3-4. I think we can surprise alot of Offenses this season if we can get everything to click.

Thoughts?

we dont have the players in the front 7 for a 3-4 scheme though, yeah there talented but they dont all fit the scheme. i think will be better this year on defense, i dont think the coaches will give them more then they can handle. i read tysons article today and it was a very accurate read. we are still in the rebuilding process. i am sold on the TANGINI era, but mangenous would be leading this team with this schedule to a consecutive playoff birth. we dont have the players we need yet to be a good 3-4 defense so to say we have a good front 7 yeah in talent but not for this scheme.

on the offensive side of the ball i think will be ok, we didnt open the playbook this preseason and chad has never faired well in preseason games, so i dont buy into that. we have a nice core of wr's and a work horse in the backfield, bender scared me b/c he played in the wing t offense in college and cant pass block for his life not even against mclovin from superbad.

i believe will play meaningful games in december again this season and thats all we can ask for with this team in my opinion, will be competitive every game. i wouldnt be surpised with a 6-10 record all the ay up to another 10-6 record and playoff birth, thats what kind of team we have.

the thing im most excited for this season isnt even the players, its the coaching staff. can mangini do what he did last season with this team and this schedule and B) will shotty be here next year, talks around the league is that hes ready to be a head coach.

Hard hitting corners. Revis, miller and Barrett all tackle and tackle hard. WR's like Moss and Stalworth will only want to run fly patterns after they get hit a few times. I am looking forward to watching them play.

Yea, we do have 2 Corners in Miller and Revis who are physical and aggressive at the L.O.S that can also wrap up and make the tough tackle...

But dont forget about K.Rhodes in the secondary either. I'm not really sure if it's a good or bad thing if your starting safety is getting 100 tackles per season, unless your running a Colts/B.Sanders type Defense with 8 in the box...

But last season K.Rhodes recorded 99 tackles, and 75 of them were solo tackles. The year before he recorded I believe 101 tackles... So that just lets me know as a fan, if a Running back blows past the D-Line and LB's that K.Rhodes can be counted upon to make that tough tackle and help keep 7 off the board.

Good point

we dont have the players in the front 7 for a 3-4 scheme though, yeah there talented but they dont all fit the scheme. i think will be better this year on defense, i dont think the coaches will give them more then they can handle. i read tysons article today and it was a very accurate read. we are still in the rebuilding process. i am sold on the TANGINI era, but mangenous would be leading this team with this schedule to a consecutive playoff birth. we dont have the players we need yet to be a good 3-4 defense so to say we have a good front 7 yeah in talent but not for this scheme.

on the offensive side of the ball i think will be ok, we didnt open the playbook this preseason and chad has never faired well in preseason games, so i dont buy into that. we have a nice core of wr's and a work horse in the backfield, bender scared me b/c he played in the wing t offense in college and cant pass block for his life not even against mclovin from superbad.

i believe will play meaningful games in december again this season and thats all we can ask for with this team in my opinion, will be competitive every game. i wouldnt be surpised with a 6-10 record all the ay up to another 10-6 record and playoff birth, thats what kind of team we have.

the thing im most excited for this season isnt even the players, its the coaching staff. can mangini do what he did last season with this team and this schedule and B) will shotty be here next year, talks around the league is that hes ready to be a head coach.

Good post man. 6-10? No way. Our O-Line is the same with the addition of Bender, and subtraction of Kendall who was not a run blocking Guard. Plus, lets not forget that Mangold and Ferguson were rookie starters ever since week one last year, thrown into the fire, with no experience what so ever in the NFL. Yea they will still make some mistakes, but thier rookie seasons are behind them as 2nd year players. Starting Brick and Mangold for all 16 games last season was the best thing that could of ever happend to this O-Line in my eyes.

We added Thomas Jones, and Leon Washington will be our change of pace, 3rd down back... Peace out to K.Barlow and D.Blaylock.

We added a solid corner who has the potential to be really good if not great corner for us one day in D.Revis and we also added a true 3-4 MLB in Harris who was simply GREAT playing in the Michigan 3-4 D. I believe he was ranked 3rd in the NATION as far as MLB go.

I also feel teams wont attack our secondary as much as they have in recent past for the simple fact we now have a proven play-maker in K.Rhodes flying around in our backfield. Add the fact that J.Miller may have a breakout season... I just dont see how this team can finish any worse than 9-7.

lets be honest we dont know much about this team yet, how will shotty run the offense this year with TJ and Leon as a 1-2 punch, will the defense get more in dept with now the 2nd year under the 3-4, will revis be able to adapt to game speed early (we know hes a player, but game speed is deffernt) or how will the o line fair from what we saw in the preseason, soo many ?'s which lead us to not knowing much about this team yet, but on paper its accurate to say were a 7-9 team, i myself believe will be better, but its an accurate assumtion. the real scary thing is we can start 1-3 this season, but the scarier thing is we can also be 3-1, thats why its accurate wen the so called experts pick us for a 7-9 , 6-10 season b/c on paper were not that good

lets be honest we dont know much about this team yet, how will shotty run the offense this year with TJ and Leon as a 1-2 punch, will the defense get more in dept with now the 2nd year under the 3-4, will revis be able to adapt to game speed early (we know hes a player, but game speed is deffernt) or how will the o line fair from what we saw in the preseason, soo many ?'s which lead us to not knowing much about this team yet, but on paper its accurate to say were a 7-9 team, i myself believe will be better, but its an accurate assumtion. the real scary thing is we can start 1-3 this season, but the scarier thing is we can also be 3-1, thats why its accurate wen the so called experts pick us for a 7-9 , 6-10 season b/c on paper were not that good

There are a few things that make me think the Jets will be better than the experts predict.

1. Nick Mangold. He is not only a great player but will be a great mentor to Bender. He will work with Bender to help bring him along more quickly than most think.

2. I think Revis will make the secondary much, much better.

3. Thomas Jones is a real feature back, something this offense lacked last year. Even with some Oline issues I think we can expect a more sustained running game.

4. ST. The Jets have the best ST coach in football and that plus Nugents improvements will win us some games.

5. Clemens has taken great strides. If something happens to or with Chad I think we can at least be certain that the Jets will still have the ability to win games.

There are a few things that make me think the Jets will be better than the experts predict.

1. Nick Mangold. He is not only a great player but will be a great mentor to Bender. He will work with Bender to help bring him along more quickly than most think.

3. Thomas Jones is a real feature back, something this offense lacked last year. Even with some Oline issues I think we can expect a more sustained running game.

4. ST. The Jets have the best ST coach in football and that plus Nugents improvements will win us some games.

5. Clemens has taken great strides. If something happens to or with Chad I think we can at least be certain that the Jets will still have the ability to win games.

Agree with all of your statements ,but I like this one best.

6. They finally cut Schlegal.

;)

lets be honest we dont know much about this team yet,

I agree.

how will shotty run the offense this year with TJ and Leon as a 1-2 punch,

He will love having Thomas Jones and Leon Washington as his 1-2 punch in the backfield. The addition of Thomas Jones may just open up the passing game for Chad and actually give Marty's boy alot of options as far as play calling goes. In my eyes, Shotty was limited in the backfield with 2 rookies on the O-Line in Brick and Ferg trying to block for RB's such as K.Barlow and Blaylock, and then later on in the season C.Houston and Leon. Lets not forget that we also added D.Barnes in the offseason as a blocking FB.

will the defense get more in dept with now the 2nd year under the 3-4,

I honestly feel that players such as Vilma, Roberson, Ellis, Barton and B.Thomas will all benefit in so many different ways by playing the 3-4 for the 2nd year in a row. Last year they were all rookies in a way, and had to overcome a learning curve. This year the confidence should be up, which is huge is my eyes, and we should also start to see them take up blocks and execute plays better on 3rd downs.

Will revis be able to adapt to game speed early (we know hes a player, but game speed is deffernt)

Did you see this kid in the Pre-season? He was everywhere making plays in the backfield and always seemed to have a nose for the ball... He also had no problems making tackles on the WR's. I'm not saying that he's not gonna make rookie mistakes, but as far as the speed of the game goes, I really feel he's gonna have no problem adjusting to it.

or how will the o line fair from what we saw in the preseason, soo many ?'s

We have the same O-Line as last year with the addition of Bender and subtraction of Kendall... The fact that Brick and Mangold had a chance to start all 16 games last season has to be nothing but a positive for this O-Line as a whole. But honestly... O-Line may just be the biggest hole on this team, but I dont think it will kill our season hopes either. And as a fan I'm worried about our O-Line, but at the same time we just have to hope for the best.

Just some of my thoughts (In regualr writing). I know I may be wrong on some, if not all... But thats just my thoughs.

Great post man.

I pray that 1 can happen... But I agree 100% with 2-5

These are some of my positives right here.

-1st offseason in 2 or 3 seasons where Chad Pennington has been healthy

-We had a solid draft in terms of drafting starters for this Defense. We drafted D.Revis out of Pittsburg who was the #1 ranked CB in the Nation, and we also drafted D.Harris out of Michigan who was the #3 ranked MLB in the Nation. (Plus he played as a 3-4 IMLB)

-Last season Brick and Mangold were thrown into the fire as first year players and started all 16 games on the O-Line (As rookies). Ferguson had a chance to play against some of the best DE's in the game in Freeney, Seymour, and J.Taylor. Like I said before... Brick and Mangold starting all 16 games last season could have been a blessing in disguise for this upcoming season and actually one of the best things that has ever happened to this O-Line.

-The addition of Thomas Jones. K.Barlow and D.Blaylock are now long gone in the eyes of Jet fans. We now have a running back in Thomas Jones who can be our Work-Horse and a feature back in this Offense. Thats something that the coaching staff couldn't ask in K.Barlow, D.Blaylock, C.Houston or even L.Washington as a rookie last season. I feel the addition of Jones will help Leon Washington is so many different ways.

-Our Recievers. L.Coles, J.Cotch, J.Mac, B.Smith and C.Stukey is one hell of a group for opposing secondarys to try an keep up with. Last year Cotchery had one hell of a season for a first year starter, and first year working with Chad for a full season. Coles was tough as nails, J.Mac has been playing great this whole offseason, B.Smith can do alot of different things and atleast keep the Defense honest and C.Stucky has alot of potential to make some big plays for us this season. I like what I see in this group of WR's.

-Coaching staff, I love the fact that Mangini learned from two of the Best in BB and BP's. Last season we made the playoffs under a rookie coach in Mangini and a first year OC in Martys boy. This year I'm expecting big things from Mangini and Shotty as they enter year 2 and should have a better feel for the Jets as a team as far as calling the right plays, playing the right players, and overall... Just being better coaches and building upon last season.

Special teams. We really may have one of the best Special teams in all of Football. J.Miller is a game changer and is almost a promise to leave Chad and the Offense with nice field postion, M.Nugent is turning into one of the best kickers in the AFC East, B.Graham has one of the strongest legs in all of football with a crazy spin, and L.Washington, J.Miller and even C.Stukey all have potential in being play-makers in terms of Punt Returning. (If only J.Miller could catch the ball better)

The Secondary I like the fact that we have Dyson and Revis as our starting corners with J.Miller guarding the slot recievers and D.Barrett going up against oppsing teams 4th string WR.

Dyson may not be a speed burner as a #1 CB, but he does have experience and leadership with nice coverage skills.

Revis may be starting as a rookie but I feel he can be a solid #2 CB for this Jets team this year.Would Mangini really start Revis if he wasn't ready?

Miller seems like the perfect #3 CB because he is fast, quick, explosive, physical, and will be guarding opposing teams slot WR.

And Coleman and Rhodes are nice to have at Safety. But Kerry Rhodes becoming great in my eyes

Our 2nd year in the 3-4.

yeah revis will be the real deal but we cant expect him to really play at a high level right away, i expect him to start making noise in the 2nd half of the season, he needs to get use to the game speed, 2 preseason games wont do that, i dont get what we dont understand about that. i love revis, but we cant expect the world of him early.

yeah revis will be the real deal but we cant expect him to really play at a high level right away, i expect him to start making noise in the 2nd half of the season, he needs to get use to the game speed, 2 preseason games wont do that, i dont get what we dont understand about that. i love revis, but we cant expect the world of him early.

E.Coleman--------K.Rhodes

With Dyson against Moss

Revis against Stallworth

Miller against Welker

And our front 7 with Hobson, Barton/Harris, Vilma, B.Thomas

K.Coleman, Robertson and Ellis

against Brady and the Pats O-Line with Maroney...

How do we matchup?

These are some of my positives right here.

-1st offseason in 2 or 3 seasons where Chad Pennington has been healthy

-We had a solid draft in terms of drafting starters for this Defense. We drafted D.Revis out of Pittsburg who was the #1 ranked CB in the Nation, and we also drafted D.Harris out of Michigan who was the #3 ranked MLB in the Nation. (Plus he played as a 3-4 IMLB)

-Last season Brick and Mangold were thrown into the fire as first year players and started all 16 games on the O-Line (As rookies). Ferguson had a chance to play against some of the best DE's in the game in Freeney, Seymour, and J.Taylor. Like I said before... Brick and Mangold starting all 16 games last season could have been a blessing in disguise for this upcoming season and actually one of the best things that has ever happened to this O-Line.

-The addition of Thomas Jones. K.Barlow and D.Blaylock are now long gone in the eyes of Jet fans. We now have a running back in Thomas Jones who can be our Work-Horse and a feature back in this Offense. Thats something that the coaching staff couldn't ask in K.Barlow, D.Blaylock, C.Houston or even L.Washington as a rookie last season. I feel the addition of Jones will help Leon Washington is so many different ways.

-Our Recievers. L.Coles, J.Cotch, J.Mac, B.Smith and C.Stukey is one hell of a group for opposing secondarys to try an keep up with. Last year Cotchery had one hell of a season for a first year starter, and first year working with Chad for a full season. Coles was tough as nails, J.Mac has been playing great this whole offseason, B.Smith can do alot of different things and atleast keep the Defense honest and C.Stucky has alot of potential to make some big plays for us this season. I like what I see in this group of WR's.

-Coaching staff, I love the fact that Mangini learned from two of the Best in BB and BP's. Last season we made the playoffs under a rookie coach in Mangini and a first year OC in Martys boy. This year I'm expecting big things from Mangini and Shotty as they enter year 2 and should have a better feel for the Jets as a team as far as calling the right plays, playing the right players, and overall... Just being better coaches and building upon last season.

Special teams. We really may have one of the best Special teams in all of Football. J.Miller is a game changer and is almost a promise to leave Chad and the Offense with nice field postion, M.Nugent is turning into one of the best kickers in the AFC East, B.Graham has one of the strongest legs in all of football with a crazy spin, and L.Washington, J.Miller and even C.Stukey all have potential in being play-makers in terms of Punt Returning. (If only J.Miller could catch the ball better)

The Secondary I like the fact that we have Dyson and Revis as our starting corners with J.Miller guarding the slot recievers and D.Barrett going up against oppsing teams 4th string WR.

Dyson may not be a speed burner as a #1 CB, but he does have experience and leadership with nice coverage skills.

Revis may be starting as a rookie but I feel he can be a solid #2 CB for this Jets team this year.Would Mangini really start Revis if he wasn't ready?

Miller seems like the perfect #3 CB because he is fast, quick, explosive, physical, and will be guarding opposing teams slot WR.

And Coleman and Rhodes are nice to have at Safety. But Kerry Rhodes becoming great in my eyes

Our 2nd year in the 3-4.

Here ya go DWC..... a real POTW NOM from me to you.

POTW NOM!!!!!!!

E.Coleman--------K.Rhodes

With Dyson against Moss

Revis against Stallworth

Miller against Welker

And our front 7 with Hobson, Barton/Harris, Vilma, B.Thomas

K.Coleman, Robertson and Ellis

against Brady and the Pats O-Line with Maroney...

How do we matchup?

Moss > Dyson

Stallworth > Revis (Revis is a rookie for goodness sake)

Welker/Miller. Not really fair as Welker will be in the slot running a lot of underneath patterns.

Pats OLine > Jets front 7.

Archived