Belichick's cheating could lead to dark days for NFL

floridajet

That is a good article. Especially this part:

"Consider the Sunday night contest. New England had played San Diego just four games back, in the January 2007 postseason. Perhaps Belichick's cameraman was illegally taping the Chargers that day, and perhaps Belichick illegally used the information against the Chargers on Sunday night. The San Diego coaching staff has changed since the playoff game, so presumably its defensive calls are different. But San Diego's new defensive coordinator, Ted Cottrell, was defensive coordinator for the Bills and Jets, both AFC East teams, in the Belichick period. Perhaps Belichick has spied on Cottrell's calls before and took out the tapes of the spying rather than handing them over as Goodell demanded. Was New England cheating again Sunday night, when the Patriots advanced the ball with such ease it seemed they knew what defense San Diego would be in?"

But San Diego's new defensive coordinator, Ted Cottrell, was defensive coordinator for the Bills and Jets, both AFC East teams, in the Belichick period. Perhaps Belichick has spied on Cottrell's calls before and took out the tapes of the spying rather than handing them over as Goodell demanded

If Cottrell hasn't changed his defensive signals in 3 years then he is more stupid than I thought. I think a lot of Jets fans would back me up on that observation!

If Cottrell hasn't changed his defensive signals in 3 years then he is more stupid than I thought. I think a lot of Jets fans would back me up on that observation!

Gainzo I hear you and it propbably had nothing to do with that game but because BB made some stupid mistakes he is going to have to live it with. Even though I don't think the signals would be the same I still wouldn't be able to say and be 100% positive that they did not do something against the rules to gain an advantage.

That is going to have to be something they live with a long time but it is only their own fault.

Gainzo I hear you and it propbably had nothing to do with that game but because BB made some stupid mistakes he is going to have to live it with. Even though I don't think the signals would be the same I still wouldn't be able to say and be 100% positive that they did not do something against the rules to gain an advantage.

That is going to have to be something they live with a long time but it is only their own fault.

Very true.

But you have to admit that Cottrell is an awful DC. He needed Norv "I have no right being an NFL HC" Turner to hire him.

Very true.

But you have to admit that Cottrell is an awful DC. He needed Norv "I have no right being an NFL HC" Turner to hire him.

I think Cottrell is a tease. Sometimes his D looks amazing and you hope that when he gets all his parts for his D that he would be consistantly that way but more often then not he lets you down.

I think the only way for the Pats to move forward and stop the questions about whether they are still getting any advantage from tape they have or still doing anything else againt the rules is that they need to let BB go. Only then will the questions stop.

Monday, September 17, 2007

Updated: September 18, 3:23 PM ET

Belichick's cheating could lead to dark days for NFL

By Gregg Easterbrook

Special to Page 2

The situation with the National Football League is a lot worse than people realize, and the only one who seems to grasp this fully is commissioner Roger Goodell. You don't issue emergency orders backed by threats on Sunday morning of a game day, as Goodell just did regarding the New England Patriots' files of cheating information, unless the situation is a lot worse than people realize.

Why is the situation worse than people think? Because the NFL is on the precipice of blowing its status as the country's favorite sport. The whole NFL enterprise is in jeopardy from that single word: cheating. It's the most distasteful word in sports. And now the Patriots have brought the word into the NFL.

Think the NFL can't decline? Fifteen years ago, the National Basketball Association was going up, up, up by every measure and was widely considered the gold-plated can't-miss "sport of the next century." Since then, NBA popularity and ratings have plummeted while NBA-based teams have floundered in international competition. At the moment of its maximum success, the NBA became overconfident and arrogant in ways that need not be recounted here. Key point: There was no law of nature that said the NBA had to stay popular, and it did not.

Today the NFL is king of the hill in sports status, ratings, merchandising and association with the American psyche. There is no law of nature that says the NFL has to stay popular.

Overconfidence and arrogance could be the downfall of the NFL, too

Win One for the Cheater

Why the enraged Patriots will go undefeated.

By Charles P. Pierce

Posted Monday, Sept. 17, 2007, at 6:11 PM ET

Perhaps the oddest thing about a very odd week in the history of the New England Patriots, a franchise that has known its share of very odd weeks, was the identity of the commissioner who finally brought the hammer down on the lawless regime of Bill Belichick (last seen stalking the sidelines dressed like he'd just knocked over a 7-Eleven while his enraged team performed public ritual murder on the San Diego Chargers). Way back in 1970, Sen. Charles Goodell, R-N.Y., lost his political career at least in part because he took legislative action to curb the unilateralist excesses of Richard Nixon. (Sen. Goodell lost to William F. Buckley's less-easily parodied brother James.) So, here's his kid, Roger, conducting himself in such a way that he probably should be standing on a balcony somewhere, his medals gleaming in the tropical sun. No wonder Nixon lusted after the job of the commissioner of the National Football League. Everything about the position would appeal to him.

Anyway, seeing a Goodell acting as the New Sheriff in Town

Win One for the Cheater

Why the enraged Patriots will go undefeated.

By Charles P. Pierce

Posted Monday, Sept. 17, 2007, at 6:11 PM ET

Perhaps the oddest thing about a very odd week in the history of the New England Patriots, a franchise that has known its share of very odd weeks, was the identity of the commissioner who finally brought the hammer down on the lawless regime of Bill Belichick (last seen stalking the sidelines dressed like he'd just knocked over a 7-Eleven while his enraged team performed public ritual murder on the San Diego Chargers). Way back in 1970, Sen. Charles Goodell, R-N.Y., lost his political career at least in part because he took legislative action to curb the unilateralist excesses of Richard Nixon. (Sen. Goodell lost to William F. Buckley's less-easily parodied brother James.) So, here's his kid, Roger, conducting himself in such a way that he probably should be standing on a balcony somewhere, his medals gleaming in the tropical sun. No wonder Nixon lusted after the job of the commissioner of the National Football League. Everything about the position would appeal to him.

Anyway, seeing a Goodell acting as the New Sheriff in Town

who is pierce? which paper does he write for?

wouldn't it be ironic if the patriots were to run the table while goodell were to dig up more and more evidence of belichick cheating until he's forced to either resign or be suspended. :)

Pierce used to write for a regional paper up here in Mass. I have no idea what he does nowadays.

Its all good as I'm a Pats fan who posts on a Jets board. I deserve to be made fun of and ridiculed, as long as the insults are in good fun and not personal.

Pierce used to write for a regional paper up here in Mass. I have no idea what he does nowadays.

Its all good as I'm a Pats fan who posts on a Jets board. I deserve to be made fun of and ridiculed, as long as the insults are in good fun and not personal.

Your mom is ugly. :lol:

Archived