Jets Looking to be More Physical on Offense This Season

7 minutes ago, jetswin said:

part of keeping A Aron healthy perhaps?

Yep, nobody wants to see that fool scrambling anymore than he absolutely has too. Expect a nice safe straight ahead belly dive by Braelon fourth play of this season. Book it! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Almost like they thought this through and have a plan to cover all backup bases with more than JAG's, which bit them in the ass last year.  Preseason games are going to be fun to see who rises to the top, especially with our bulked up  RB's!

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, slats said:

A lot of fans were hoping for George Kittle, but the Jets drafted Deebo and Jusczcyk, instead. 

Malachi Corley steps right in as the team’s primary slot receiver. I love these WRs in a RB’s body guys, and Corley is a fireplug. He will be expected to do just about everything anyone could’ve expected out of Bowers from the slot as a rookie

Steps right in and expected to do just about everything as a rookie are not words commonly associated with guys who got 60% of their college touches on screens.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Steps right in and expected to do just about everything as a rookie are not words commonly associated with guys who got 60% of their college touches on screens.

And yet, the guy I’m comparing him to got 48% of his production that way. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So why did we go get aaron rodgers if the plan is to make him into ryan tannehill, a game manager, ground and pound.

I think the idea is to have a well rounded offense that can beat you either way. Defenses shouldn’t be able to stack the line with Rodgers throwing to Wilson and Williams and if they play mostly nickel they can pound them with multiple big strong running backs. Cold rainy/snowy games like we had a couple of last year calls for a team that can move the ball on the ground.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, slats said:

A lot of fans were hoping for George Kittle, but the Jets drafted Deebo and Jusczcyk, instead. 

Malachi Corley steps right in as the team’s primary slot receiver. I love these WRs in a RB’s body guys, and Corley is a fireplug. He will be expected to do just about everything anyone could’ve expected out of Bowers from the slot as a rookie, with the potential to develop more as a WR. He’s two inches taller but a whopping 40 pounds heavier than Gipson. This pick probably results in Lazard staying outside as Williams’ primary backup, and Gipson clinging to a roster spot as a returner. 

Braelon Allen is a huge dude, exact size -today- as Kyle Jusczcyk at about 6’2”, 235. He’s also just 20 years old, and has room to get bigger. Extremely productive from when he stepped on the field as a 17 year old freshman gaining over 1200 yards. Doesn’t play as physical as his size, which is probably what they’ll be working on with him. I think he’s a threat to Nick Bawden’s roster spot, and could/should emerge as the #2 spelling Breece some. Creative minds would be working on his receiving abilities -he’s already good in pass protection- and build him into a FB that’s also a weapon. 

Why another RB? Best I can come up with is that Breece is one of two young star caliber players on the offense and if he were to get hurt, the loss will be tough to overcome. Isaiah Davis is another big back, with plenty of production, who does play physical. Smallest RB on the team right now is Abanikanda at 6’1”, 215. I think the Jets are backing up Breece with multiple players who can all do some of what he’s capable of with Abanikanda being the speed guy doing a lot of the receiving work, and Davis being a two down, physical runner. 

i think the whole RB thing is a look ahead for Hall who is a FA after next year. we might have to Tag him if he doesnt accept what we offer and then we could be in the same mess the Giants were with Barkley. 

next year we really need to pick GW replacement. cause he is going to ask for too much money. i hate to lose him but it would be fun to see some people here lose there minds.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So why did we go get aaron rodgers if the plan is to make him into ryan tannehill, a game manager, ground and pound.

I would’ve loved Odunze in the first round. That would’ve been a tremendous boost to the passing attack as well as valuable starting WR insurance. They missed on that, and found what should be a solid upgrade to the slot in Corley. Whether they drafted Bowers or Odunze, that would’ve been the net result; better play from the slot. 

Can’t really expect to find WRs like that later in the draft, though. However, the reason RBs are so devalued is because replacement level guys are available well into UDFA territory. So they don’t get their insurance for Wilson, as I would’ve preferred, but they do have a significant backup plan for Breece. 

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, slats said:

Braelon Allen is a huge dude, exact size -today- as Kyle Jusczcyk at about 6’2”, 235. He’s also just 20 years old, and has room to get bigger. Extremely productive from when he stepped on the field as a 17 year old freshman gaining over 1200 yards. Doesn’t play as physical as his size, which is probably what they’ll be working on with him. I think he’s a threat to Nick Bawden’s roster spot,

I think that Nick Bawden is a goner.  The earlier he can be released, the better for him to find another team.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Alka said:

I think that Nick Bawden is a goner.  The earlier he can be released, the better for him to find another team.  

I think that between Ruckert and Allen, they probably have FB covered. 

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

These moves protects not only Rodgers but whoever is the QB, which to me seems very smart. 

Rodgers, will exploit these new additions in recognizing a D's weakness and then hand off or bubble screen to either Corley or Breece,  or hit Conklin short which will get the ball out quick and inflict many paper cuts before killing you with an occasional sideline long pass to Wilson or Williams as he has done  so effectively his entire career. Having 2 bruisers to backup or incorporate into plays or protections makes us very deep...

In short, Putting all our eggs in one basket by having to strictly rely on Breece for short gain yardage, like last year,  just ain't gonna cut it.

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, Larz said:

Yup. 

You have to be able to get 10 yards on 3 rushes at the end of the game when everyone knows that you are running it

winning football 

I’ll take that at the front end of the game, too.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, slats said:

I think that between Ruckert and Allen, they probably have FB covered. 

And let's be honest, if we were going to pick either Allen or Bawden to run back kickoffs, or field a punt, we would pick Allen over Bawden.  True?  Not that Allen will field punts or run back kickoffs, but you never know.

• Upvote 1

It’s also possible that based on conversations with agents the jets just liked their chances at getting post draft free agents signed better at other positions than RB.  

who is still out there? Zeke? 

I like it.

Only thing I think this team still needs is a speedster. That 4.3 or faster guy that can be thrown to at least once a game to try and take the top off the defense. Mike Williams is a big deep pass guy. But he wins with size.

We should really pump the brakes on this Corley is Deebo talk.   I was Deebo's #1 fan coming out, followed his college career very closely, there is a thread in the draft forum to prove it.  I started a thread to make the claim he'd be the next big home run threat dynamo in the league.  Just because some knucklehead made this comparison during hot take-palooza month doesnt actually mean he's anything like, Deebo Samuel.  I've said in other threads but it's not just the level of comp. CUSA vs. SEC but also, the versatility and explosiveness was not the same.  Deebo scored from punts, kick offs, hand offs, screens, down field receptions, 14 ypc on his career and the dude even threw a TD in college.  While Corley has, 0 rushing TD's, 0 kick returns, 0 punt returns, and 11 ypc.

Love the pick, like the player, he's not a guaranteed threat to be anything more than depth.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Another “How can we draft 2 rbs thread”.

This is just mind boggling that jet fans cannot comprehend you need 4 rbs which we now have.

It’s why draft one there when there was good OL and WRs there. Our 4tg RB is a PS guy likely. Especially having Corley. Who very well might get some work in a RB type role.

28 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Another “How can we draft 2 rbs thread”.

This is just mind boggling that jet fans cannot comprehend you need 4 rbs which we now have.

The only way to acquire RB's is via the draft? 

3 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

We should really pump the brakes on this Corley is Deebo talk.   I was Deebo's #1 fan coming out, followed his college career very closely, there is a thread in the draft forum to prove it.  I started a thread to make the claim he'd be the next big home run threat dynamo in the league.  Just because some knucklehead made this comparison during hot take-palooza month doesnt actually mean he's anything like, Deebo Samuel.  I've said in other threads but it's not just the level of comp. CUSA vs. SEC but also, the versatility and explosiveness was not the same.  Deebo scored from punts, kick offs, hand offs, screens, down field receptions, 14 ypc on his career and the dude even threw a TD in college.  While Corley has, 0 rushing TD's, 0 kick returns, 0 punt returns, and 11 ypc.

Love the pick, like the player, he's not a guaranteed threat to be anything more than depth.

All fair. I used the Deebo comp because I’ve heard it a lot and it fit the beauty of this narrative (lol), but what I’m hoping he becomes is a bigger, more durable love child of Wayne Chrebet and Laveranues Coles. I’m not expecting any jet sweeps or kick returns out of him, but I do expect him to be the team’s starting slot this year with the potential to develop into an outside guy. 

• Upvote 1

There’s prob some upside with Braelon Allen, but Davis looks like a plodder.

The 4.59 40 time is concerning.

The consensus seemed to be this was a poor RB class, and the Jets not only invest 1 pick but double-dip.

There’s a decent chance they could have gotten Davis as a UDFA instead of burning the pick.

Would rather have gone for an upside iOL at that point.

There's no depth at C right now.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1