Maybe it is the coaching after all

Jetfan13

Jets' Jones underused

Thomas Jones was showered, dressed and headed to the team bus when the media arrived in the locker room after the New York Jets' loss to the Giants.

The veteran running back, the Jets' biggest offseason acquisition, has been just as invisible on the field for most of the early part of the season.

"I'm here to play football," Jones said Monday. "As far as the number of carries that I've had over the past couple of weeks, that's a decision that's up to the coaches and the game plan. I just try to take advantage of the opportunities that I have."

He's been hard-pressed to find many through the Jets' first five games. He's had one 100-yard game

There were many quotes from the Giants referring to knowing what plays were coming and identifying the game plans. Smoke and mirrors no longer work, it comes down to talent and the Jets are lacking that. After talent it comes down to game plans which have been Herm like at best

Jets' Jones underused

Jones had 36 yards on 13 carries in the 35-24 loss to the Giants and ran the ball only once in the fourth quarter, when a win was still well within grasp.

"Most featured backs in this league, they get the ball 20, 25 times a game," Jones said. "Just by you getting the ball that many times, you can get a feel for what the defense is doing and you can get a feel for how the offensive line is blocking. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to do that the past couple of weeks."

Featured backs!?!?!? It takes a pair of balls to call yourself a "featured back" when you went 36 yards on 13 carries! He needs the ball to get a feel for the game? Well by my calculations he got the ball 12 times in the first three quarters and did zero. Why the **** should they keep beating that dead ****ing horse? 12 in three quarters isn't far from the 20 per game he wants. He'd get them if he stopped sucking.

Leon Washington gets a lot of touches, as he should. TJ is a good back, he is not an LT, so he should expect to share the position with Leon. Check out Leon's running stats for the game. These are good backs and the o-line has been improving. But they are trying to run against defenses that have no respect for the Jets QB. Mission Impossible.

During the game they flashed one stat that blew my mind. When the Jets line up in the single setback formation with TJ standing in the deep I set, they run the ball 96% of the time. That is absurd beyond belief.

Maynard, absolutely 100% correct.

in addition the LB's sit and wait as does the secondary then they jump the route whenever Penny passes. It's a freakin joke what is going on here.

Put the kid KC in there and freakin throw the ball downfield. That will fix a lot of the ills with this team and then that will free up the running game.....

in addition the LB's sit and wait as does the secondary then they jump the route whenever Penny passes. It's a freakin joke what is going on here.

Put the kid KC in there and freakin throw the ball downfield. That will fix a lot of the ills with this team and then that will free up the running game.....

Correct. Right now every defense, regardless of what system they normally play, is lining up like the 85 Bears against the Jets. 100% man-to-man coverage, the linebackers and safeties are crowding the LOS, etc. Absolutely no respect for Chad throwing the ball down the field. Coles and Cotchery have to make tough acrobatic catches just to make short gains because the defenses are playing so tight. It is really pathetic.

2 ypc is not all on Pennington. There is a hell of a lot more wrong with this running game than a weak arm at qb. His arm wasn't any better for most of '04 and they didn't blow like this. Hell, even last year they were better.

2 ypc is not all on Pennington. There is a hell of a lot more wrong with this running game than a weak arm at qb. His arm wasn't any better for most of '04 and they didn't blow like this. Hell, even last year they were better.

Wrong. I don't know why, but his arm is much weaker than it has ever been, except for when Herm rushed him back at the start of 2005. He has, by far, the weakest arm in the NFL and every defense knows it.

I'd like to ask those people who reported in training camp that Chad had zip on the ball what exactly they meant by "zip"?

Wrong. I don't know why, but his arm is much weaker than it has ever been, except for when Herm rushed him back at the start of 2005. He has, by far, the weakest arm in the NFL and every defense knows it.

I'd like to ask those people who reported in training camp that Chad had zip on the ball what exactly they meant by "zip"?

He's been the weakest arm the NFL for years. I'm not giving this running game a pass. If he were that bad then the Ravens would not have eaten up the running game against Clemens. Yes, I realize the Ravens have a very good D and they would stack the line against a first time starter, but if Pennington were THE SOLE REASON our running game sucks ass then with Clemens at the helm it would have at least improved. It's a factor, but it is very far from the only one.

I would like to think that coming where Mangini came from that he would be able to write a book on how to beat Chad.

If he truly believed that Chad was that much of a liability to every aspect of the game he would of traded him before his first game.

That is a valid question.

-In the final tc report card, it was mentioned that CP hadnt thrown the long ball at all throughout tc, and that this was very noticeable to those of us who had gone to see tc.

-After going to the vaginats game and seeing him throw in person for the first time since tc, I am convinced that his arm was stronger when I saw him at hofstra two months ago. He has already worn down from when he first came to tc.

-in 2006 tc, he never even attempted to throw the sideline out pass, since he was coming off of surgery and rehab. In 2007 tc, he threw those passes fairly often, even though he didnt throw long. And those sideline passes he threw in tc got to the WR fairly quickly, as some of the short completions to Coles have during the game.

-the passes he threw Sunday that were intercepted (the one at the goal line and the one that was returned for a TD) were not the same quality of throws he made in tc. If he was throwing hanging, wounded ducks in tc, I'm sure you would have seen it reported by everyone who observed tc.

Apparently "zip" is a subjective matter, as i just came across Randy Lange's column from yesterday, wherein he wrote:

"But anyone who didn't think No. 10 had more zip on his intermediate throws didn't see him hit Laveranues Coles for 15 yards over the middle on third-and-13 or Brad Smith for 17 yards over the middle on third-and-16."

But it is still a valid point that Maynard raised. Things that happen in tc do not always translate to the regular season. Did anyone really know that the gameplanning and playcalling would be so uncreative and lacking during the regular season?

I suppose that the way the Jets lost the LOS battles against the Vikes and vagiants in preseason were a harbinger of things to come.

I dont mind being questioned about any of my tc observations. Of course I am a Jet fan and do go into tc with a positive attitude. As I discussed with Sec225, who writes tc reports for another board, we try to give info, without creating unrealistic expectations, and without blowing smoke up people's asses either.

I am reminded of a post from a couple of years ago, when that dude Gessner caught everything thrown his way in tc, and dropped everything thrown his way in all of the pre-season games. Someone asked how we could have said he caught everything in tc when he dropped everything during the games?

The answer was simple. He did catch everything in tc, and we reported what we observed. No one had any idea he would choke like Mama Cass during the preseason games. ;)

He's been the weakest arm the NFL for years. I'm not giving this running game a pass. If he were that bad then the Ravens would not have eaten up the running game against Clemens. Yes, I realize the Ravens have a very good D and they would stack the line against a first time starter, but if Pennington were THE SOLE REASON our running game sucks ass then with Clemens at the helm it would have at least improved. It's a factor, but it is very far from the only one.

I am not saying Chad is the sole reason for the poor running attack. Also the Ravens play an aggressive defense against everyone. And I don't know why Chad's arm is weaker than ever. You would think, with a rehab free off-season, it would be at least as strong as it was last year. And maybe he was throwing with some zip in training camp. All I know is what I see now. An arm that is so painfully weak, it is an embarassment. And it is killing the team, along with many, many other problems. I am hardly a Chad hater. I just call them as I see them.

Archived