****The official lookahead: Jets 2008 Draft/FA Thread****

gangreenman

Okay, the seasons over, and its time to build for the future...

So, for the draft of 08. Here's a list of positions we should focus on in order of need.

#1-NT

We need someone BIG that can play the position...DRobs 310lbs isnt getting it done

#2-LG-PK's old position, moving him hurt us short term but may have helped us a lot in the long-term. Now we have no choice but to find a long term answer at the position

#3-DE - Coleman was a good addition this offseason, but he cant anchor the line by himself, he needs someone to start opposite him in the 3-4.

#4-RT-Its clear that the CS isnt too high on Clement, and Adrian Jones certainly isnt the answer.

So, Ive done some research and am going to list the best players available at those spots of need.

NT:

Frank Okam (SR) - 6'5, 320 from Texas

Joseph Bryant (SR) - 6'5 322 from Tex A&M

LG:

Eric Young (SR) - 6'4 305 from Tennessee

(This guy can help us all over the OL...Also played RT and LT in his college career.)

Shannon Tevega- 6'3 316 UCLA (preseason All American nominee...All Pac 10 award honors...)

DE:

Crappy year for 3-4 DE's... Meaning we'll probably have to use FA's as a means or even wait until the 09 offseason when Ellis's contract runs out.

But here would be the two best candidates in this draft.

Chris Long (SR) 6'4 284 from Virginia

Kenall Langford (SR) 6'6 294 from Hampton

RT:

Jake Long (SR) 6'7 313 from Michigan

(Plays LT but the guy is a BEAST... All American honors and various Big 10 awards...We can draft him and switch him to RT)

Gosder Cherilus (SR) 6'7 319 from BC

(Started at RT throughout his college career...Known for his run blocking)

Thats my draft... I'll get to the FA list later on, but for now we can discuss my draft prospects.

Opinions?

P.S. These are the best players available at each of the positions I think we need the most, its doubtful that we'd get all of them, but if we had to choose only one or two...Which ones?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if the jets have top 3 pick and pass on Mcfadden ,they deserve to be F'd in the arse.

McFadden sucks and doesn't deserve anywhere near the praise he gets. I'd much rather draft Johnathan Stewart with our early second rounder.

Rushing Stats:

Att: 169 Yards: 932 AVG: 5.5 TD: 7

Att: 131 Yards: 940 AVG: 7.2 TD: 7

Which looks better?

Size:

5-11 230 Runs a 4.45

6-2 205 Runs a 4.4

Which looks better?

McFadden sucks and doesn't deserve anywhere near the praise he gets. I'd much rather draft Johnathan Stewart with our early second rounder.

Rushing Stats:

Which looks better?

Size:

5-11 230 Runs a 4.45

6-2 205 Runs a 4.4

Which looks better?

Thats a taller version of Leon... We need a POWER running back...

The one you highlighted is McFadden. The first one is Stewart. END OF DISCUSSION.

:rl:

Good Stuff

Yeah I want a 220-230lb RB.... no more of these dancers...

I havent seen Stewart play... so I cant really comment based on stats alone...

My Ideal Offseason:

2)If available draft McFadden, the guys a stud. Jones is 30 and not the future. He could be one of the best in the NFL for the next decade. Our OL will naturally get better with the young players on it, mainly Mangold and D'Brick. He is a playmaker who will do more than just run in our offence. IMHO this is the guy to go after.

2)Do everything in your power to sign Alan Faneca. This guy would be the best aquisition possible IMO, not just because of what he will bring on the field (the best run blocker in the league IMO) but what he will do in the development of the guys either side of him, Mangold and D'Brick. I really think he would greatly enhance their run blocking as well and with McFadden added to Jones and Leon we all of a sudden have an elite running game.

3)Use late 1st/early 2nd round picks on D. IMO we will pick up a first for Vilma, we need to pick out players who are not only talented but suited to the system. Ideally the way to go would be Edge Rusher + Dominant NT, unfortunately we know we will not get as lucky that these positions will be available so we will have to put up with more undersized NT's for another year.

4)Move or at least try D-Rob at 3-4 End. We know that he doesnt have the size for NT anyone with a pair of eyes can see that. But, the very few times that D-Rob does make plays, I find myself thinking about how good he could be at end, he has the size for that and he has good speed for a guy that big. IMO that is something to consider, something has to be done on the line, we might as well start there.

5)Fire Sutton, not much explaining needed here. Our d is a disaster. The playcalling is awful and very predictable. Something seriously needs to eb done here. On the other side of the ball I wouldnt go as far as to firing Schotty as he at least showed something last season, just tell him to sort his **** out!!!!

That IMO would be a succesful off-season, it wont win us a SB instantly but it will bring us that step closer. This BTW is all presuming Clemens shows something if/when he plays.

Rushing Stats:

Which looks better?

Size:

5-11 230 Runs a 4.45

6-2 205 Runs a 4.4

Which looks better?

i will take mcfadden thank you, not sure you have ever seen the kid play, the kid runs with tremendous power and speed. If you knew anything about

Arkansas, they have a QB who can;t throw worth a lick or D1ck..casey D1ck.

:rl:

Good Stuff

Yeah I want a 220-230lb RB.... no more of these dancers...

I havent seen Stewart play... so I cant really comment based on stats alone...

Yeah his stats are the second line, and size is the first line. I figured I'd try and trick somebody. He plays well and while injury problems are a concern he seems to have fixed that this season by realizing he doesn't need to run full speed until he breaks out of the holes. He's reading the field a lot better this year and finds openings. On Saturday his first game ever holding the full load he absolutley destroyed and ran for 251 yards.

i will take mcfadden thank you, not sure you have ever seen the kid play, the kid runs with tremendous power and speed. If you knew anything about

In that case their RB would fit right in here..:Nuts:

Yeah but they also have felix jones who helps out McFadden. McFadden will be a good RB but he isn't worth a top five pick when there are other RBs in this draft class that will match his production and be available later.

EDIT: Also you never mentioned which one you would like more just based of stats and size, too bad I already said who was who.

LOL, guys comparing McFadden to Leon are in for a suprise. Do you ever occasionaly watch the guy play before you come out with craps like that. Not to mention you cut 12 pounds off of him but whatever.:roll:

McFadden is a beast, watch him play!!!!!

the guy ran all over my Bama with no threat of a pass, he runs with power

ala LJ and is faster!!!!

LOL, guys comparing McFadden to Leon are in for a suprise. Do you ever occasionaly watch the guy play before you come out with craps like that. Not to mention you cut 12 pounds off of him but whatever.:roll:

McFadden is a beast, watch him play!!!!!

I didn't cut 12 pounds off him I took his stats straight from espn. Also Stewart is a beast, watch him play! Too bad all of you are on the east coast where they will never televise a ducks game.

I didn't cut 12 pounds off him I took his stats straight from espn. Also Stewart is a beast, watch him play! Too bad all of you are on the east coast where they will never televise a ducks game.

LOL, look at my username. Im a heck of a lot more East than you realise.:cool0043:

Yeah but they also have felix jones who helps out McFadden. McFadden will be a good RB but he isn't worth a top five pick when there are other RBs in this draft class that will match his production and be available later.

EDIT: Also you never mentioned which one you would like more just based of stats and size, too bad I already said who was who.

Sorry Oregon has a QB who can play

Casey D1ck is a ... well a D1ck... Penne2

LOL, look at my username. Im a heck of a lot more East than you realise.:cool0043:

I do realize I was talking to Jets fans as a whole. You also will never see a Ducks game so it doesn't matter. Also I'd like to say the Ducks lost three of their top WRs so far this season and Stewart is still putting up these numbers. Hell last week the offense literally ran around about 5 different plays total and Stewart still couldn't be stopped.

Matt Jones was a stud too.

:bag:

Mcfadden isnt that good. He's not nearly the fluid back that Peterson was coming out.

Pterson was worth a top 5 pick. Mcfadden aint, theyre not even on the same planet imo.

I do realize I was talking to Jets fans as a whole. You also will never see a Ducks game so it doesn't matter. Also I'd like to say the Ducks lost three of their top WRs so far this season and Stewart is still putting up these numbers. Hell last week the offense literally ran around about 5 different plays total and Stewart still couldn't be stopped.

i saw Oregon play Mich and was impressed with their QB, Mcfadden has a zero

at QB, so you should realize that for mcfadden to put up these stats without any passing game is a feat.

Matt Jones was a stud too.

:bag:

Mcfadden isnt that good. He's not nearly the fluid back that Peterson was coming out.

Pterson was worth a top 5 pick. Mcfadden aint, theyre not even on the same planet imo.

Matt Jones???

That guy was a QB turned reciever, what the hell does he have to do with anything??!!!

i saw Oregon play Mich and was impressed with their QB, Mcfadden has a zero

at QB, so you should realize that for mcfadden to put up these stats without any passing game is a feat.

Ok but the Ducks at this point pretty much have no passing attack. Against Michigan all of our WRs were healthy. We lost three of our top WRs for the season so far. Stewarts best game was with little help from the passing game. We have bigger issues than RB that to pick one with a top five pick when there are other options who will be just as good later. That would just be stupid.

Haha, I watched Oregan-Cal a few weeks ago. I see a few more games than you guys think. Dont underestimate the Irish kid.;)

Archived