****The official lookahead: Jets 2008 Draft/FA Thread****

gangreenman

if the jets have top 3 pick and pass on Mcfadden ,they deserve to be F'd in the arse.

Not at all. If we can get a real road grader at LG then our running game will be dramatically improved. Thomas Jones is clearly a talented back and we need a NT, LG, and DE before we need a RB.

My main point is we have to draft on either line. The only exception being a QB who's worthy of being a top 5 or 10 pick. But if we don't draft for the trenches in the 1st round we are making a mistake.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not at all. If we can get a real road grader at LG then our running game will be dramatically improved. Thomas Jones is clearly a talented back and we need a NT, LG, and DE before we need a RB.

My main point is we have to draft on either line. The only exception being a QB who's worthy of being a top 5 or 10 pick. But if we don't draft for the trenches in the 1st round we are making a mistake.

Bingo. We need to get either the best NT, DE or a pass rushing OLB (like Merriman and Ware) with our first pick. I don't care about BAP. In this years draft I hope we our in a position to draft McFadden so we can trade down with some team dumb enough to throw their draft away for him.

Bingo. We need to get either the best NT, DE or a pass rushing OLB (like Merriman and Ware) with our first pick. I don't care about BAP. In this years draft I hope we our in a position to draft McFadden so we can trade down with some team dumb enough to throw their draft away for him.

you draft by need and you get F'd, remember Hickey from way back, drafted

Roger bobo vick in 1st rd cause we needed a FB and Ron faurot case we needed a DT

You never pass on talent.

Drafted a LG with top 5 pick is insane!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trading down is insane unless you get a king's ransom for 1st pick of draft

and one of the QBS is rated like Manning.

Roger bobo vick in 1st rd cause we needed a FB and Ron faurot case we needed a DT

I don't want a LG for a top 5 pick I want to get someone for our d-line or a LB. And how is trading down insane when we need lots of players and there aren't many stand out prospects?

There is no way we can trade down if we have a top 5 pick IMO. We need playmakers. If we have a top 5 pick, and don't come away with Jake Long, Chris Long, McFadden, or Dorsey, I will be dissapointed.

I would be happy with any of these picks however, in this order.

1. Chris Long

2. Jake Long

3. Darren McFadden

4. Glen Dorsey

-IMO if Chris Long is there, we can't afford to pass on him. He is a monster that is always in the backfield. Not to mention he actually plays in the 3-4. A 3-4 DE that is that disruptive does not come around often.

-Jake Long is an animal and he is virtually tied in my book with Chris Long. D-Brick, Mangold, and Long at RT would be an impressive O-Line (especially if we sign Faneca). Not to mention he can pass protect just as well and he run blocks - which he does very well (which is what we need).

-It'd be hard to pass on McFadden if avaiable. No matter what our needs are, this guy is the biggest playmeker in the draft. And I hate the size comparions. Bottom line, The guy is the only player on that team and eveyone know hes getting the ball. And he still finds the endzone, breaks tackles, and makes people look stupid. He is the best player in this draft, period.

-I absolutely love Glen Dorsey. However, the one thing about Dorsey - I'm not sure he can play NT. If I was sold that he could, he would be #1 on my board. We need a NT more than anything IMO. He is a beast and will be a great NFL DT in the right system. But I'm nots sure the 3-4 would fit him very well.

Tangini, bring in one of these players. Please. Why can't we get all 4 players?

I don't want a LG for a top 5 pick I want to get someone for our d-line or a LB. And how is trading down insane when we need lots of players and there aren't many stand out prospects?

you just answered your own question

you take a stand out player over 3 average stiffs

Talent wins you games not mediiocrity.

The Viqueens picked up Chester Taylor like we picked up TJ and when their

turn came up and AP was there they did not hesitate to draft him..when they had no real need for a RB.

I do not trust tangina to pick the 3 average stiffs.. hello schelgal in 3rd rd!!!

Matt Jones???

That guy was a QB turned reciever, what the hell does he have to do with anything??!!!

Matt Jones was the last Arkansas product Afo bigged up.

Mcfadden is a good player, he's just not a guy that will be able to put a team on his back like Peterson is doing this year.

Theyre not in the same class.

Matt Jones was the last Arkansas product Afo bigged up.

Mcfadden is a good player, he's just not a guy that will be able to put a team on his back like Peterson is doing this year.

Theyre not in the same class.

I will take Jones for JMac in a country minute

Jones had freakish measurables and with right team will have an impact.

AP and Run DMC are in the same class, the HOgs have zero in the passing game and teams still cannot stop him.

TRADE DOWN.

If we have the opportunity to get a beast at OL (which there seems to be an abundance of this year) with the 13th or 14th pick in the draft and we have a 4th overall...Trade down and get a 1st and an extra 2nd rounder!

TJ and Leon would be more then fine behind a good OL and any above average QB.

Plus, theres always at least 1 good RB per year that gets drafted in rounds 3-5...

So Id actually rather we didnt draft McFadden, unless of course we trade away a player like Vilma for a 1st rd pick in the mid teens and can draft both...

TRADE DOWN.

If we have the opportunity to get a beast at OL (which there seems to be an abundance of this year) with the 13th or 14th pick in the draft and we have a 4th overall...Trade down and get a 1st and an extra 2nd rounder!

TJ and Leon would be more then fine behind a good OL and any above average QB.

Plus, theres always at least 1 good RB per year that gets drafted in rounds 3-5...

So Id actually rather we didnt draft McFadden, unless of course we trade away a player like Vilma for a 1st rd pick in the mid teens and can draft both...

a beast like Dbrick????

vilma will not get you a 1, maybe a 3 to skins;)

i would rather have talent, sometimes you get lucky in later rounds, but many

times you get average stiffs who last a few years.. too many on jests too name.

for jests to get better .. we need a real coach and a real GM

1) the draft should be BAP all the way, we have way too many holes to be picky

2) FA should be utilized to get what is needed after draft. OL/DT/LB

3) I would expect at least 35% of roster to be sh1tcanned.

4) the Core should be KC,Leon, revis, harris, cotch/coles/smith, rhodes, mangold and D-brick

5) some ST's guys may stick and Nugent

this team has to be re-tooled from almost scratch. 100% of the BAP drafted

will make team.

i will take mcfadden thank you, not sure you have ever seen the kid play, the kid runs with tremendous power and speed. If you knew anything about

Arkansas, they have a QB who can;t throw worth a lick or D1ck..casey D1ck.

your absolutely right man these kids all they see are numbers. mcfadden is a beast i'v seen him play he is more like LT and adrian peterson

your absolutely right man these kids all they see are numbers. mcfadden is a beast i'v seen him play he is more like LT and adrian peterson

McFadden is nothing like LT or Peterson and I've seen him play. He is an overrated RB in a class full of good RBs. I don't understand how people can want to take him when he's not the best prospect and RB is possibly the only position in next years draft that will be deep.

Scouts Inc.'s Top 32 SeniorsPlayer Pos. School Grade

1. Darren McFadden* RB Arkansas 99

2. Chris Long DE Virginia 98

3. Glenn Dorsey DT LSU 98

4. Calais Campbell* DE Miami 97

5. Jake Long OT Michigan 97

6. Matt Ryan QB Boston Coll. 97

7. Sedrick Ellis DT USC 96

8. Derrick Harvey* DE Florida 96

9. Malcolm Jenkins* CB Ohio State 96

10. Andre Woodson Jr. QB Kentucky 96

11. Samuel Baker OT USC 95

12. Brian Brohm QB Louisville 95

13. DeSean Jackson* WR California 95

14. James Laurinaitis* ILB Ohio State 94

15. Kenny Phillips* S Miami 94

16. Keith Rivers OLB USC 94

17. Malcolm Kelly* WR Oklahoma 94

18. Gosder Cherilus OT Boston Coll. 94

19. Dan Connor OLB Penn State 93

20. Reggie Smith* CB Oklahoma 93

21. Early Doucet III WR LSU 92

22. Rey Maualuga* ILB USC 93

23. Vernon Gholston* DE Ohio State 93

24. Justin King* CB Penn State 92

25. Quentin Groves DE Auburn 92

26. Adarius Bowman WR Okla. State 92

27. Felix Jones* RB Arkansas 92

28. Ryan Clady* OT Boise St. 91

29. James Hardy* WR Indiana 91

30. Ali Highsmith OLB LSU 91

31. Mike Jenkins CB S. Florida 91

32. Alex Boone* OT Ohio State 90

* Denotes draft-eligible underclassmen

Look Back: 2007 NFL draft The Big One

Awed by his big arm and bigger upside, the Raiders took JaMarcus Russell No. 1 overall.

Scouts Inc.'s Top 32 SeniorsPlayer Pos. School Grade

1. Darren McFadden* RB Arkansas 99

2. Chris Long DE Virginia 98

3. Glenn Dorsey DT LSU 98

4. Calais Campbell* DE Miami 97

5. Jake Long OT Michigan 97

6. Matt Ryan QB Boston Coll. 97

7. Sedrick Ellis DT USC 96

8. Derrick Harvey* DE Florida 96

9. Malcolm Jenkins* CB Ohio State 96

10. Andre Woodson Jr. QB Kentucky 96

11. Samuel Baker OT USC 95

12. Brian Brohm QB Louisville 95

13. DeSean Jackson* WR California 95

14. James Laurinaitis* ILB Ohio State 94

15. Kenny Phillips* S Miami 94

16. Keith Rivers OLB USC 94

17. Malcolm Kelly* WR Oklahoma 94

18. Gosder Cherilus OT Boston Coll. 94

19. Dan Connor OLB Penn State 93

20. Reggie Smith* CB Oklahoma 93

21. Early Doucet III WR LSU 92

22. Rey Maualuga* ILB USC 93

23. Vernon Gholston* DE Ohio State 93

24. Justin King* CB Penn State 92

25. Quentin Groves DE Auburn 92

26. Adarius Bowman WR Okla. State 92

27. Felix Jones* RB Arkansas 92

28. Ryan Clady* OT Boise St. 91

29. James Hardy* WR Indiana 91

30. Ali Highsmith OLB LSU 91

31. Mike Jenkins CB S. Florida 91

32. Alex Boone* OT Ohio State 90

* Denotes draft-eligible underclassmen

Look Back: 2007 NFL draft The Big One

Awed by his big arm and bigger upside, the Raiders took JaMarcus Russell No. 1 overall.

And the player I want is just according to them one point less and a position of need where there isn't a deep class of them. Chris Long would be a much better pick than McFadden.

McFadden is nothing like LT or Peterson and I've seen him play. He is an overrated RB in a class full of good RBs. I don't understand how people can want to take him when he's not the best prospect and RB is possibly the only position in next years draft that will be deep.

you really are not the only one who has seen McFadden play, so please stop acting like you know something we all dont. Your biased for this Stewart kid, from your beloved Ducks, is blinding you from actual evidence...

Maybe he isnt the right pick for us early on in the draft, but there is no way you can say he is not a great talent coming out of college football...

Matt Jones was a stud too.

:bag:

Mcfadden isnt that good. He's not nearly the fluid back that Peterson was coming out.

Pterson was worth a top 5 pick. Mcfadden aint, theyre not even on the same planet imo.

WTF does Matt Jones have to do with McFadden? He's a bust that went to Arkansas, therefore McFadden will be the same?

I guess the Vikings should have passed on Adrian Peterson. After all, he went to the same ****ty school that produced Derrick Strait.

Do all of you really think RB is a possition of need...

Who do you think are the best players to draft in possitions of need?

I didnt want this to turn into a McFadden argument... I understand some of you want to draft him, but what about prospects at other positions of need??

I didnt want this to turn into a McFadden argument... I understand some of you want to draft him, but what about prospects at other positions of need??

F the F'n Need

Our entire roster is in need

Right now the team is a pile of turds and we need talent at every position

There is no way we can trade down if we have a top 5 pick IMO. We need playmakers. If we have a top 5 pick, and don't come away with Jake Long, Chris Long, McFadden, or Dorsey, I will be dissapointed.

I would be happy with any of these picks however, in this order.

1. Chris Long

2. Jake Long

3. Darren McFadden

4. Glen Dorsey

-IMO if Chris Long is there, we can't afford to pass on him. He is a monster that is always in the backfield. Not to mention he actually plays in the 3-4. A 3-4 DE that is that disruptive does not come around often.

-Jake Long is an animal and he is virtually tied in my book with Chris Long. D-Brick, Mangold, and Long at RT would be an impressive O-Line (especially if we sign Faneca). Not to mention he can pass protect just as well and he run blocks - which he does very well (which is what we need).

-It'd be hard to pass on McFadden if avaiable. No matter what our needs are, this guy is the biggest playmeker in the draft. And I hate the size comparions. Bottom line, The guy is the only player on that team and eveyone know hes getting the ball. And he still finds the endzone, breaks tackles, and makes people look stupid. He is the best player in this draft, period.

-I absolutely love Glen Dorsey. However, the one thing about Dorsey - I'm not sure he can play NT. If I was sold that he could, he would be #1 on my board. We need a NT more than anything IMO. He is a beast and will be a great NFL DT in the right system. But I'm nots sure the 3-4 would fit him very well.

Tangini, bring in one of these players. Please. Why can't we get all 4 players?

Chris Long is a good player but I dont think he's right for our system. At 284lbs he's undersized for DE and oversized for LB.

DE is one of those postions in which we're probably going to rely on FA's for.

Also, I dont know if we should go crazy signing Faneca, he's a great guard... But this draft has a ton of talent on the OL, and we can lock one of them up for a good 5 years at a lesser price. Also, that money may be better spent finding someone to replace Vilma next year...

I think RB is an overrated position PERIOD. We need play makers. We only have Cotch, Coles, and Rhodes. No one else, we need some play makers badly.

I think RB is an overrated position PERIOD. We need play makers. We only have Cotch, Coles, and Rhodes. No one else, we need some play makers badly.

I actually disagree...

We need guys that can let the playmakers make plays.

Guys on the OL that can give the QB time to throw and RB's a lane to throw to.

Guys on D that are big, fast, and strong and can force mistakes....

We have the playmakers, we need the role players on the OL and DL to let those guys go free imo.

I actually disagree...

We need guys that can let the playmakers make plays.

Guys on the OL that can give the QB time to throw and RB's a lane to throw to.

Guys on D that are big, fast, and strong and can force mistakes....

We have the playmakers, we need the role players on the OL and DL to let those guys go free imo.

Just think how good it will be to have a Terrell Suggs on this team. Just think about it. Wouldn't that take less pressure of Thomas, Ellis, and Coleman who I think can succeed in this defense.

The Problem is we have to spend some damn money, I like your idea with giving our QB time and stuff like that, but our damn FO doesn't spend a damn F***ing dime. It's pointless.

Okay...

So who else besides McFadden is out there that we should draft??

Mcfadden may be gone if we pick at 3, all i'm saying is we take the BAP

each round, we need talent across the board

there is not 1 position that our team does not need.

Trading down is fine if you have a competent FO, does anyone really

believe our FO can be called competent?

Mcfadden may be gone if we pick at 3, all i'm saying is we take the BAP

each round, we need talent across the board

there is not 1 position that our team does not need.

Trading down is fine if you have a competent FO, does anyone really

believe our FO can be called competent?

I'll never trade down, the only way we should trade down is if we go all out on FA this year. We have to spend some money this year.

NYJ 2008 FA's

Darian Barnes FB

Sean Ryan TE

Adrian Jones OL

Wade Smith OL

Brad Kassel LB

Cody Spencer LB

-Thats the list according to KFFL, it doesnt mention when the contracts of Rhodes, Vilma, Ellis, or Robertson run out ( I checked the team by team through 2013, no mention of any of them...)

So if anyone here knows that info you can feel free to post it here.

In any event, if Vilma's contract doesnt end in 08 (which I thought it did), then he will be very good trading bait provided we find someone to replace him.

you really are not the only one who has seen McFadden play, so please stop acting like you know something we all dont. Your biased for this Stewart kid, from your beloved Ducks, is blinding you from actual evidence...

Maybe he isnt the right pick for us early on in the draft, but there is no way you can say he is not a great talent coming out of college football...

The truth is though I didn't want the Jets to draft Stewart until about a week ago when he actually proved that he should be drafted. My main point is that McFadden is not worth drafting over a player we actually need. We have no need for a top pick RB when this years draft class is deep in RBs and we already have RBs. Thats the point I'm trying to make.

The truth is though I didn't want the Jets to draft Stewart until about a week ago when he actually proved that he should be drafted. My main point is that McFadden is not worth drafting over a player we actually need. We have no need for a top pick RB when this years draft class is deep in RBs and we already have RBs. Thats the point I'm trying to make.

We have Leon who is a good back, but with his size is more of a 3rd down back ala Faulk.

TJ is 30 years old and will never be confused with Jim Brown,

RB is a need on this team, do you actually watch the games?

NYJ 2008 FA's

Darian Barnes FB

Sean Ryan TE

Adrian Jones OL

Wade Smith OL

Brad Kassel LB

Cody Spencer LB

-Thats the list according to KFFL, it doesnt mention when the contracts of Rhodes, Vilma, Ellis, or Robertson run out ( I checked the team by team through 2013, no mention of any of them...)

So if anyone here knows that info you can feel free to post it here.

In any event, if Vilma's contract doesnt end in 08 (which I thought it did), then he will be very good trading bait provided we find someone to replace him.

In addition to the players you listed, Victor Hobson is a UFA after this year. So is Erik Coleman, Hank Poteat, Eric Hicks, Darian Barnes, Abram Elam, Tuiasosopo, Ratliff, Rashad Washington, Wright,

Vilma is signed through 2008, as is Rhodes & Barton. For what it's worth, add to that list: Nugent, Miller, Pouha, Mosely, Chatham, Clarke, Montgomery,

Robertson, like Barrett, is signed through 2009, but I doubt either makes it that far or even past this season. Others signed through 2009 are Coles, Clemens, Bowens, Clement, Leon, E.Smith, B.Smith, Pociask, Baker, & Dearth.

Ellis is signed through 2010. So is JMac (lol).

If we want to really purge the dead weight or the most grossly overpaid-for-production, here are some players to look at & how much net cap space it clears up. In parenthesis is how much (roughly) it should clear up if we release/trade after June 1st which can leave an equal or greater dead cap hit the following season. Some players, like Dyson, don't clear up much more than a roster spot so I'm not including them here.

Barrett - $3M - ($3.5M free in '08; <$1M hit in 2009)

Barton - $3M - (doesn't matter when)

McCareins - $2M - ($3M free in '08; $1M hit in 2009)

Chad - $2M - ($5M free in '08; $3M hit in '09)

DRob - $5M - ($7M free in '08; $2M hit in '09)

Vilma - $1M - (doesn't matter when); he'd only be traded for value; never released

Ellis - $0 - ($3M free in '08; $3M hit in '09); not going anywhere until at least after '08

I never like to look at how much something clears if released or traded after June 1st. Whatever the additional savings are this year become dead cap space next year. If it's higher-priced FA's you seek, they get a bunch of money in signing bonus & the first year of the deal is usually the lowest cap hit. So pushing off the hit of these cuts to a time when you'll have a higher salary base makes little sense unless we're front-loading contracts for 2008 (which we're not).

So among Barrett, Barton, JMac, Chad, DRob it clears up $15M with no leftover cap hits leaking over to future seasons. Throw in a couple others here & there with our current ~$10M in space & the exact # around $25M becomes irrelevant. That is PLENTY of cap space to spread around even after locking up Rhodes (who won't make more than a $2M blip on that number for 2008 unless we pay him lineman money).

More than enough to get anyone we want. In 2009, it could be even more b/c even with $25M free, it takes into account us taking some serious cap hits in '08 for players we've cut like the above & Kendall. They'll be off the books for good after 2008.

This surge in cap space is our "reward" for not signing mega-contracts & extensions to garbage players. It hadn't shown yet ("If we haven't signed anyone how come we only have $10M free?") b/c of all the bloated contracts Bradway & Tannenbaum handed out/negotiated prior to 2006.

Cap-wise we're in outstanding shape. But fans are not interested in saving Woody's money. We want players. So now that the cap space is there, go f'ing use it so I don't need to see Adrian Clarke & Anthony Clement (among others) starting anymore.

Archived