Injured Cotchery could return Sunday

jetsrule128

Thursday, December 06, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- WR Jerricho Cotchery is awaiting a specially designed cast for his broken right index finger and could return to practice as early as today and play against the Browns on Sunday, according to someone close to Cotchery.

That person spoke on the condition of anonymity because only coach Eric Mangini is authorized to speak to the media regarding injuries

Cotchery, who sat out the Dolphins game after undergoing surgery on the finger early last week, will return this season. He's the Jets' leading receiver with 54 catches for 730 yards and one touchdown. He was injured in practice Nov. 26 and hasn't been seen by the media since.

Mangini has been mum on Cotchery's status.

QB Kellen Clemens, who was sacked six times against the Dolphins, admitted he must improve his pocket presence. He has taken off a bit early in recent games and doesn't appear comfortable in the pocket.

Also, Mangini said Clemens must work on his drops. If the play calls for a five-step drop, Clemens can't do a 5 1/2-step drop because the offensive line won't know exactly where he is.

"There are a lot of areas where I can improve and pocket presence is one of them," Clemens said.

S Kerry Rhodes, who has an interception in each of the past three games, is close friends with Browns WR Braylon Edwards. This summer, they appeared together on the cover of Essence Magazine.

"It's not good seeing him right now, he's playing real well," joked Rhodes.

Edwards, picked third overall out of Michigan in 2005, has a club-record-tying 12 TD catches this season.

WR Laveranues Coles, whose threshold for pain is well-documented, said playing against the Dolphins with a high left ankle sprain was the most pain he has played through in his career. His decision to play was even more impressive because of the Jets' dismal season. He refused to say if he took an injection for pain.

"I didn't know to what extent I would be able to help the team," said Coles, who finished with five catches for 69 yards. "I thought if I was on the field, I would be able to (at least) draw coverage. To actually go out there and catch a couple of balls was good.

"It's not about the organization (pressuring him to play), it's about your teammates. You think about it (risking further injury), but it doesn't outweigh the fact you're out there for your teammates."

RB Leon Washington had a bigger role against the Dolphins because he played some of the roles Cotchery normally fills, Mangini said. Washington had 68 yards rushing and scored two TDs on 10 carries, and also had two receptions for 35 yards.

CB Darrelle Revis credited his ever-improving play this season to the film-study sessions he has on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights at the home of Rhodes. S Abram Elam also attends.

Jets C Nick Mangold (calf) showed up on the injury report but practiced. Seven Browns players, including starting DE Orpheus Roye (knee), didn't practice. The Browns lost one of their top special teams players, placing LB Kris Griffin on injured reserve. ... The Jets signed RB Alvin Banks (James Madison) and WR Shane Smith (Hofstra) to the practice squad and released WR Evan Prall.

The Jets remain banged up at wide receiver. Once again, Jerricho Cotchery (finger surgery) was a no-show in the locker room and on the practice field. It might be time to check the milk cartons. But, seriously, he’s not going to play this week and, as we reported last Friday, it could be a few weeks before he’s back.

On the injured receiver front, no one has seen Jerricho Cotchery since he injured his finger a week ago. Must be a pretty serious injury to keep him away from the team

WR Jerricho Cotchery (broken right index finger) didn't practice yesterday and appears unlikely to play Sunday against the Browns, although Mangini didn't rule him out. The Jets are awaiting a specially designed cast for Cotchery's finger that would enable him to play.

A sure sign that Cotchery will be back this season is that the Jets haven't put him on the season-ending injured reserve list. He'll likely play against the Patriots next week.

Notes&quotes: Jerricho Cotchery (finger) practiced for the first time since Monday but is listed as doubtful. Coles (ankle) is questionable and will be a game-time decision

mad props to cotchery for playing today

Playing alongside Coles has definetly motivated stuff like this IMO.

Archived