Matsui Could Be On The Way Out

CanadianJet

To San Francisco...

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12112007/sports/yankees/matsui_may_waive_bye_822416.htm

Jonathan Sanchez is suppossedly the key piece in the deal (personally, I would much rather have Lowry)

Don't know much about Sanchez but he did have some dominant numbers in the minors and struggled in the bigs. I'd think the Yanks would get something else in return.

I would think that if the Yankees do not expand the deal to get back Cain or Linecrum, then they would get back B. Wilson also. He had a nice year, and if Sanchez is what he is expected to be, then you have an instant bullpen.

Not a chance in Hades do the Yankees get Cain or Lincecum for Matsui. The Giants would be nuts.

Right, but expanding that deal, the Yanks would have to give up one of their prized pitching prospects, and I don't see the Giants doing that.

Well, Matsui is a calming influence in the Clubhouse, never says the wrong thing, and basically gets along with everyone. I don't believe the Japanese community in the Bay are is very large, but the Asian community is substantial. He also supplies a nice bat in the lineup, albeit not anywhere near what Bonds did. And if you add in a Kennedy, you basically give the Giants a kid pitcher with a high ceiling back.

Truth be told, I am surprised the Dodgers do not make a play for Matsui. With Andrew Jones in CF for the next 2 seasons, at least, he would be able to cover up a lot for Matsui in LF. The Dodgers lack punch, and adding Jones from the right side, and Matsui from the left side would supply a nice middle of the lineup, well above what they trotted out last year.

In addition, the word is that the vets do not get along with the young kids in that clubhouse. It is a very fractured clubhouse, and was one of the reasons behind Grady Little getting the ax. Matsui is the type who gets along with everyone, and would be a welcome addition there.

Plus, Torre likes him a lot.

I would think that the Yankees and Dodgers could agree on a kid ptcher or 2 who would come back in such a deal. It would not be one of teh Dodgers top prospects, but someone close. The quality of teh prospect(s) would depend on how much, if any, $$$$$$$$ the Yankees have to kick in.

Wilson is there closer next year....maybe Hennessey instead.

I was thinking that Hennessey would be the closer if Wilson goes.

For a guy who hits mid 20s in HRs, gets 100+ RBIs every year, and hits for a decent average, you are not getting him for cheap. Especially when you approach the Yankees for him, showing that there is interest in him.

I was thinking that Hennessey would be the closer if Wilson goes.

For a guy who hits mid 20s in HRs, gets 100+ RBIs every year, and hits for a decent average, you are not getting him for cheap. Especially when you approach the Yankees for him, showing that there is interest in him.

Depends...his ability to play solid defense has gone down and he wont be seeing any 100 RBI seasons in the Giants line-up. I agree he's not dirt cheap but he's also not worth two very promising young bullpen arms. Not at his age, salary and diminishing defense.

Posted: Wednesday December 12, 2007 07:32AM ET

A baseball official said there "wasn't anything imminent" last night in regards to the Yankees dealing Hideki Matsui to the Giants for pitching. Though the Yankees likely can't pry Tim Lincecum or Matt Cain from the Giants and aren't wild about Noah Lowry, they have interest in lefty Jonathan Sanchez, who appeared in 33 games last year and made four starts.

New York Post

Archived