Steriods vs Performance Enhancing Drugs vs Supplements

CobraVerde

Obviously straight up steriods is wrong, but what confuses me is that in todays GNC age there are so many supplements and vitamins and weight gainers. What distinguishes the difference between a performance enhancing drug and weight gaining supplements? Or are weight gainers illegal in sports? If you think about it one could prolly make the argument that Gatorade is a performance enhancing drug. It was engineered in a lab and gives someone an advantage over someone who isn't drinking it (as stated in their commercials). This is something i've always debated. Like the leagues gets a list of all these vitamines and banned substances but they don't go into it specifically and let players know what products have these ingrediants. can you really suspend someone for like drinking a redbull right before the game?? O_o

Obviously straight up steriods is wrong, but what confuses me is that in todays GNC age there are so many supplements and vitamins and weight gainers. What distinguishes the difference between a performance enhancing drug and weight gaining supplements? Or are weight gainers illegal in sports? If you think about it one could prolly make the argument that Gatorade is a performance enhancing drug. It was engineered in a lab and gives someone an advantage over someone who isn't drinking it (as stated in their commercials). This is something i've always debated. Like the leagues gets a list of all these vitamines and banned substances but they don't go into it specifically and let players know what products have these ingrediants. can you really suspend someone for like drinking a redbull right before the game?? O_o

I believe the problem with performance enhancing drugs is the side effects associated with it. If steroids worked without all the terrible side effects like shriveled balls, it would be legal. but since it does so much damage to the human body, it is illegal.

if the ingredients in Red Bull were found, through testing by the FDA, to cause medical problems then it would be pulled from the market and made illegal.

Since our wonderful government back in 1994 put the FDA in charge of having to prove a supplement is dangerous, usually the product is on the market for a while and we are the guinea pigs. Once it hurts or kills enough people, it gets banned (ephedra)

Anyone hear remember the supplement Russian Bear back in the day? Ah, good stuff lol. You pissed colors that you didn't know existed. Sadly they were put out of business by "Hot Stuff".

All good things must come to an end.

I am not too sure about this.

Ultimately, a player needs to be responsible for their own actions and lets be realistic. As with Barry Bonds, you are a premier athlete. You are not going to check what you put into your body? A BS meter has to be applied.

Ultimately, a player needs to be responsible for their own actions and lets be realistic. As with Barry Bonds, you are a premier athlete. You are not going to check what you put into your body? A BS meter has to be applied.

"Premier athlete" or not, common sense should tell you what the frill you're putting in your system.

Everyone of the MLB players knows very well every suplement, from a multi-vitamin, to HGH, what goes into their body. Every single player. No exceptions. Their bodies are their fortune.

What I find interesting is that my Pharmacist told me a while back, that some basic OTC medications for coughs, runny nose, have a form of steroids in them. Minor doses for sure, but probably on the MLB banned substance list.

That floored me. :confused:

Everyone of the MLB players knows very well every suplement, from a multi-vitamin, to HGH, what goes into their body. Every single player. No exceptions. Their bodies are their fortune.

What I find interesting is that my Pharmacist told me a while back, that some basic OTC medications for coughs, runny nose, have a form of steroids in them. Minor doses for sure, but probably on the MLB banned substance list.

Anabolic steroids and corticosteroids are not the same thing.

Corticosteroids, which are used to medically treat a variety of inflammatory conditions (general swelling, rashes, asthma, arthritis, and other systemic inflammations), do not build muscle mass. They don't "cause your balls to shrink" either. What does do that is an anabolic steroid like testosterone; when it is made artificially high by injecting/ingesting, your body senses this & stops producing it on its own, causing your balls to shrink. It is an indirect side-effect, not a direct one. Corticosteroids (cortisone, prednisone, etc) don't do that (though they do have many other serious side-effects from prolonged use).

Drug testing doesn't test for "general steroids of any type" like those that would be found in someone's asthma inhaler. I think one NFL player tried that BS defense last year.

Corticosteroids, which are used to medically treat a variety of inflammatory conditions (general swelling, rashes, asthma, arthritis, and other systemic inflammations), do not build muscle mass. They don't "cause your balls to shrink" either. What does do that is an anabolic steroid like testosterone; when it is made artificially high by injecting/ingesting, your body senses this & stops producing it on its own, causing your balls to shrink. It is an indirect side-effect, not a direct one. Corticosteroids (cortisone, prednisone, etc) don't do that (though they do have many other serious side-effects from prolonged use).

Drug testing doesn't test for "general steroids of any type" like those that would be found in someone's asthma inhaler. I think one NFL player tried that BS defense last year.

Thank you.

I dont know the answer to this question and am being serious:

If an Asthmatic ballplayer were to test positive because of his inhaler, would he be suspended?

Thank you.

ditto Sperm, thanks for the info.

Archived