Where the blame REALLY lies (sorry for the long read)

Boozer76

I have read and heard many debates on whether the owners or players are most to blame for this debacle. The truth of the mater is if you are looking for where the real issue arose and why, look no further than the one and only Bud Selig.

I was disgusted when I heard him shrug off responsibility when question on his thoughts of the reports implicating his neglegence to the issue. If you go back to 1993, baseball was at an almost all time low due to the strike. That strike really turned alot of fans off and it was showing i the game attendance of all ball clubs. Baseball needed something, anything to bring it back and regain the hearts of the fans. Low and behold it came in the form of a juiced up Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa in a race to break what most considered the most hallowed record in all of sports-the single season home run record. People started watching in droves. Everyone wanted to see who would break it first. We were captivated and we were in love with baseball once again, probably at a level never seen by baseball.

But the deafening truth of those times was the underlying culture that was evolving. Players were seeing firsthand how steroids and HGH could help them improve their stats and fatten their wallets. But the true culprit of it was the commissioner who no doubt weighed the benefits and consequences of hat was becoming the "juicing era" and decided to shake hand with the devil for the monetary betterment of the game. Mr. Selig did nothing-NOTHING-to address the issue that was unfolding right before our eyes in a time where there was no pressure to do so. Prior to Jose Canseco's book, everybody had assumptions of players using steroids but nobody actually adressed it. Make no mistake, commissioner Selig KNEW that a large group of players were cheating. To deny that would be nothing short of gross negligence to a level unacceptable for a man of his stature. He did nothing to stop it. Not until Canseco's book came out and it became a public shame that garnered the attention of congress did Mr. Selig begin to try and take action.

Mr. Selig now stands today shrugging off his prominent responsibility, yet from the other side of his mouth he demands change and conformity from players, the players association, and owners. How and why should they even think to agree with anything he puts forth when he continually shoulders no responsibility. Rest assured, Mr. Selig is not sad that baseball players used steroids. He is not sad about the fact that records are tainted by steroids. He is sad that it became public knowledge.

People now surmise how baseball can get through this nearly unsurmountable black eye. Personally speaking, I don't feel it will ever really overcome it. There is now so much speculation and so many tainted records that it is conceivable that upwards of a dozen or more players will not be in the HOF even though their numbers dictate they should be. That will always be an awkward situation that will resonate for many many years to come. But I do believe there is one major occurance that must take place to allow the possibility of baseball overcoming this. Bud Selig must publicly accept his responsibility and step down from his position. If he does not do so this game will not recover. If he refuses I hope the players that are clean step forward and demand he be removed. Their accomplishments will always be questioned thanks to a commissioner who turned a blind eye to the cheaters. He made a deal with the devil, and the devil's here for payment.

Great post. But the players union is just as much to blame as the commissioner. They consistently stood in the way of reform, whether it was genuine or not on the commissioners side.

The only reason we have a real drug policy is because of possible government sanctions which would have severely hurt the game (and wallets of both players and owners)

The union is there for one reason only and that is to protect the players. Their protection has kept this issue from being resolved.

I blame Selig for not stopping this back in the early '90s and I blame the Union for not getting an agreement in place before 2002.

Everyone is to blame. Selig and Fehr should both resign, for the integrity of the game.

Great post. But the players union is just as much to blame as the commissioner. They consistently stood in the way of reform, whether it was genuine or not on the commissioners side.

The only reason we have a real drug policy is because of possible government sanctions which would have severely hurt the game (and wallets of both players and owners)

The union is there for one reason only and that is to protect the players. Their protection has kept this issue from being resolved.

I blame Selig for not stopping this back in the early '90s and I blame the Union for not getting an agreement in place before 2002.

Everyone is to blame. Selig and Fehr should both resign, for the integrity of the game.

I agree that the players union also had a large responsibility. But I can't respect a commisioner who could have taken steps to bring the issue to light well before actually being exposed. Had he done so, the players union would have been pressured by the government much sooner and you would not have so many tainted records in the HOF. By the time the Canseco book came out the majority of the damage was done. Selig could have avoided most of the embarrassment but chose to turn a blind eye.

All 3 are to blame. Selig is full of crap. He knew about this and exploited it to line MLB pocket with cash from fans coming back to baseball after the strike.

The union is to blame because they do everything possible to protect the guilty. They could care less about baseball.

The players are the MOST responsible because ultimately they were the ones shooting themselves in the asscheeks with the juice. Once again proving its all about the money for them.

All 3 are to blame. Selig is full of crap. He knew about this and exploited it to line MLB pocket with cash from fans coming back to baseball after the strike.

The union is to blame because they do everything possible to protect the guilty. They could care less about baseball.

The players are the MOST responsible because ultimately they were the ones shooting themselves in the asscheeks with the juice. Once again proving its all about the money for them.

you are exactly right.

These guys are baseball players, not airline pilots. They should be forced to piss in a cup because...the children, or something like that?

Simply, does anyone on this board work in a job where they make you pee in a cup?

And while I think Bonds is a scumbag and a cheat who violated drug laws, pardon me if the idea that we spend money to prosecute him is a glorious waste. Same with Martha Stewart. Are these the things our government should be doing? Sports is the toy department of life. Unless we solved every other problem on earth, I'm at a loss why they care about a few druggie ballplayers, jerks though they may be. Seems to not be, or it shouldn't be, the highest of priorities.

They can't deliver the mail.

They cannot keep the roads fixed nor traffic flowing.

They can't stop terrorists from killing my neighbors on a fall Tuesday morning, nor find Osama BIn Lden.

They have no compunction about wasting TRILLIONS on a pointless war to make Iraq "democratic and free".

But they can waste more money on Barry Bonds and Martha Stweart. GREAT! I feel so much safer.

These guys are baseball players, not airline pilots. They should be forced to piss in a cup because...the children, or something like that?

Simply, does anyone on this board work in a job where they make you pee in a cup?

And while I think Bonds is a scumbag and a cheat who violated drug laws, pardon me if the idea that we spend money top prosecute him is a glorious waste. Same with martha Stewart. Are these the things our government should be doing?

They can't stop terrorists from killing my neighbors on a fall Tuesday morning, nor find Osama BIn Lden.

They have no compunction about wasting TRILLIONS on a pointless war to make Iraq "democratic and free".

But they can waste more money on Barry Bonds and Martha Stweart. GREAT! I feel so much safer.

Will somebody PLEASE think of the dogs!!!

And while I think Bonds is a scumbag and a cheat who violated drug laws, pardon me if the idea that we spend money to prosecute him is a glorious waste. Same with Martha Stewart. Are these the things our government should be doing? Sports is the toy department of life. Unless we solved every other problem on earth, I'm at a loss why they care about a few druggie ballplayers, jerks though they may be. Seems to not be, or it shouldn't be, the highest of priorities.

All sports should have Olympic style drug testing, the government shouldn't get involved but when you're dealing with an industry that is basically a monopoly(hence the anti-trust exemptions) the government is forced to intervene in order to save the integrity of the game.

Many Gov. workers, Airline and train employees, and healthcare workers, are subject to random drug tests. And I do mean random!! No warning at all. The test crew shows up one day, cup in hand, and grab employees randomly.

It does happen. Not all over, but it does happen.

Owners should get some of the blame....honestly you can't blame anyone because they didn't test for this stuff, and everyone turned a blind eye when the money was coming in. It amazes me that American's are really shocked by this, imagine if we had this same kind of outrage when it comes to politics (i.e. current administration).

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7563276?MSNHPHMA

Good article. Selig is part of the whole roid problem. Along with the Union and of course, the players. But the Commish. is also responsible.

I forget where I read it, but this quote sums it up perfectly:

"Bud Seig will undoubtedly be inducted into the HOF one day. However, he will always be known as the commissioner whose name will be linked with the steroid era by first ignoring it, then profiting from it, and finally blaming others for it."

Bud Selig Quote:

July 1995-"If baseball has a problem, I must candidly say we're not aware of it......it certainly hasn't been talked about much." He mentioned that in a meeting about steroids 18 months prior "no one had any evidence that steroid use should be a concern"

This was well after the obvious usage of steroids by Canseco (fans were chanting steroids in every away game he played). It was also well after the reports that speculated Dykstra may be using when he showed up 30 lbs heavier in 1993 and credited "really good vitamins" for the growth. In 1992, Pittsburgh columnist Gene Collier wrote a lengthy report warning of potential steroid use in baseball. He also quoted extensive research by Penn State professor, Charles Yesalis, who said steroids were a "natural fit" for baseball players. Collier concluded that report that baseball should instill mandatory testing if only to "make a point that baseball demands a level field of play".

1992, Peter Gammons reported that steroid use may be far greater than anyone suspects. He reported that it is likely the cause of a large rash of strange leg and back injuries to players who had recently gained alot of muscle quickly. LA Times reporter Bob Nightengale reported in 1995's article "baseball just doesn't get it" anonymous quotes of nemerous baseball players about a high level of steroid use in locker rooms. He wrote "Come on, you know there's no steroid use in baseball. Those bodies and dramatic increases in bat speed are simply the byproduct to players dedicating themselves to the gym in the offseason. That's what baseball would have you believe". Players were estimating that at least 20-30% were using heavy doses of steroids. And even higher numbers were using in a less frequent manner.

There is a ton more evidence and reports leading up to the 1998 season when it was ridiculously obvious there was an issue. I recommend anyone interested to read page 60-85 of the Mitchell report, as the article in Bugg's post suggests, for a full picture of what I consider a mountain of evidence that Selig was offered during that timeframe. He could have done something years before records were desecrated and baseball as a whole became a joke. He chose not to do anything but profit from it until he could no longer do so without obvious embarrassment. What really burns my ass is Fay Vincent actually said he could and should have done something about steroids during his tenure. He apologized for not having done so and said it was a catastrophic mistake on his behalf. There wasn't even 1/100th of the evidence during his tenure yet he still apologized. Selig continues to shift the blame elsewhere and accept no responsibility whatsoever. He is a snake in my opinion and baseball will never recover until he is out of office.

Bud Selig Quote:

July 1995-"If baseball has a problem, I must candidly say we're not aware of it......it certainly hasn't been talked about much." He mentioned that in a meeting about steroids 18 months prior "no one had any evidence that steroid use should be a concern"

This was well after the obvious usage of steroids by Canseco (fans were chanting steroids in every away game he played). It was also well after the reports that speculated Dykstra may be using when he showed up 30 lbs heavier in 1993 and credited "really good vitamins" for the growth. In 1992, Pittsburgh columnist Gene Collier wrote a lengthy report warning of potential steroid use in baseball. He also quoted extensive research by Penn State professor, Charles Yesalis, who said steroids were a "natural fit" for baseball players. Collier concluded that report that baseball should instill mandatory testing if only to "make a point that baseball demands a level field of play".

1992, Peter Gammons reported that steroid use may be far greater than anyone suspects. He reported that it is likely the cause of a large rash of strange leg and back injuries to players who had recently gained alot of muscle quickly. LA Times reporter Bob Nightengale reported in 1995's article "baseball just doesn't get it" anonymous quotes of nemerous baseball players about a high level of steroid use in locker rooms. He wrote "Come on, you know there's no steroid use in baseball. Those bodies and dramatic increases in bat speed are simply the byproduct to players dedicating themselves to the gym in the offseason. That's what baseball would have you believe". Players were estimating that at least 20-30% were using heavy doses of steroids. And even higher numbers were using in a less frequent manner.

There is a ton more evidence and reports leading up to the 1998 season when it was ridiculously obvious there was an issue. I recommend anyone interested to read page 60-85 of the Mitchell report, as the article in Bugg's post suggests, for a full picture of what I consider a mountain of evidence that Selig was offered during that timeframe. He could have done something years before records were desecrated and baseball as a whole became a joke. He chose not to do anything but profit from it until he could no longer do so without obvious embarrassment. What really burns my ass is Fay Vincent actually said he could and should have done something about steroids during his tenure. He apologized for not having done so and said it was a catastrophic mistake on his behalf. There wasn't even 1/100th of the evidence during his tenure yet he still apologized. Selig continues to shift the blame elsewhere and accept no responsibility whatsoever. He is a snake in my opinion and baseball will never recover until he is out of office.

Maybe Selig should have his eyes checked. :Typotux:

Maybe Selig should have his eyes checked. :Typotux:

Selig's eyes work just fine. He just wants everyone to believe he's as much a victim of steroids as the fans are. He KNEW exactly what was going on, well before the Sosa/McGwire outburst of HR's. He decided he would turn the other cheek to it so baseball could profit from growing attendance rates soaring ever higher after a bitter lashbck from the strike in 1993. Bud Selig had a plan to revive baseball, and the main ingredient of that plan was steroids.

Archived