Tribune Co. Selling Naming Rights to Wrigley Field

Mavrik

Having trouble with my browser so I can't post the link, but in the Truth & Rumors section of cnnsi.com they are reporting that Tribune Co. CEO is offering up naming rights to Wrigley in order to eliminate some of the $13 billion in debt the company holds.

The last tiny thread keeping Cubs fans from going completely insane is going to be cut. The Cubs might next year be going to see Cubs games at Comcast Field or some other lame corporate type.

Naming rights for Wrigley Field?

Posted: Friday December 21, 2007 07:50AM ET

Tribune Co. chairman and chief officer Sam Zell is trying to lighten the company's $13 billion debt burden, and he was much too quick Thursday to embrace an idea that will make Cubdom collectively hurl its most recent meal. He wants to sell naming rights to Wrigley Field. ``Wrigley Field, the Cubs and all the land around it is an asset of the company -- including the right to name the park,'' Zell said at Tribune Tower. ``Based on the sales of naming rights around the country, this would probably qualify as being extraordinarily valuable. Could that be part of an equation? Of course.''

per cnnsi.com and the chicago tribune.

Honestly, I don't think it's such a bad thing, as long as the owner invests that money into the team. Think about it, the old historic stadiums do not house as many seats, nor do they generate nearly as much money as the newer ones. Many have been torn down (see Comiskey Park). Boston has toyed with the idea of leaving Fenway and the Yanks are destroying the house that Ruth built. Offering the naming rights is a reasonable comprimise. You will always call it Wrigley. Everybody will. Hell, I still call the Cont Airlines arena the Brendan Byrne Arena. The PNC Bank Arts Center is the Garden State Arts Center to me still. Honestly, I had to go look up the actual name for the Brendan Byrne because I couldn't remember it was Continental. If this is a way to keep a historic stadium from being torn down, I'm all for it.

Although Wrigely was a product too, wasn't it?

Yes. BUT the Stadium is actually named after the guy who owned the chewing gum company.

Wiki:

Wrigley Field is a baseball stadium in Chicago, Illinois, United States that has served as the home ballpark of the Chicago Cubs since 1916. It was built in 1914 as Weeghman Park for the Chicago Federal League baseball team, the Chicago Whales. It was also the home of the Chicago Bears of the National Football League from 1921-1970. It was also called Cubs Park from 1920 to 1926.

Wrigley Field shares its name with the Wrigley Company, as the park was named for its then-owner, William Wrigley Jr., the CEO of the Wrigley Company. As early as the 1920s, before the park became officially known as Wrigley Field, the scoreboard was topped by the elf-like "Doublemint Twins", posed as a pitcher and a batter.

Cubs Park was formally renamed Wrigley Field prior to the start of the 1927 season.

Archived