Prior signs with the Padres

faba

The Padres signed right-handed starter Mark Prior to a one-year deal, bringing the San Diego native home in the hopes he regains his health and the mound prowess he once showed.

Prior, 27, has struggled with injuries in recent years and missed the entire 2007 season after undergoing surgery on his right shoulder April 24. He last pitched in 2006, compiling at 1-6 record and 7.21 ERA in nine starts for the Cubs.

"Mark Prior is a competitor and is working hard to regain the form that made him one of the great young pitchers in the game," Padres GM Kevin Towers said in a club release."We are confident he is going to help us in our rotation this season. It's exciting that Mark is coming home to San Diego to pitch for the Padres."

Over five Major League seasons (2002-06), Prior is 42-29 with a 3.51 ERA in 106 starts covering 657 innings. He has registered 757 strikeouts and 223 walks, while limiting opponents to a .235 batting average.

Prior was the No. 2 overall pick in the 2001 First-Year Player Draft out of USC, having graduated from University of San Diego High. He made his Major League debut less than a year later, striking out 10 Pirates in six innings for the victory on May 22, 2002. He was an All-Star in 2003. In his career, Prior has tallied 21 double-digit strikeout games and 65 outings in which he has issued two or fewer walks. He is averaging 10.37 strikeouts per nine innings over his career.

Yeah but if he's ever healthy(big if) he's a legit Ace.

BTW....regarding your sig....Mays>Mick....barely but the Gold Gloves are too much to overlook.

Sorry to hijack

My old man used to tell me how great Joe D used to be. I never saw Willie Mays play in his prime. and I never saw Mantle in his prime. but if you get this video some how(from an old show with george plimpton), check it out. Willie Mays makes some of the most spectacular catches I have ever seen in Candlestick park. unfrickin real.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Greatest-Sports-Legends--Willie-Mays-%2FVHS_W0QQitemZ250199854595QQcmdZViewItem?IMSfp=TL0712230817a38481

Sorry to hijack

My old man used to tell me how great Joe D used to be. I never saw Willie Mays play in his prime. and I never saw Mantle in his prime. but if you get this video some how(from an old show with george plimpton), check it out. Willie Mays makes some of the most spectacular catches I have ever seen in Candlestick park. unfrickin real.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Greatest-Sports-Legends--Willie-Mays-%2FVHS_W0QQitemZ250199854595QQcmdZViewItem?IMSfp=TL0712230817a38481

John Winkin, a 6 six College World Series head coach and 15 year assistant at Ted William's basball camp ASSURES me that Joe D was the best palyer he saw (and he saw everyone from the 30s and beyond, including negro leaguers like Josh Gibson)

in my eyes though, Mantle was a step or two offensively ahead of Mays and had the real heart of a champ (and a drunk)

John Winkin, a 6 six College World Series head coach and 15 year assistant at Ted William's basball camp ASSURES me that Joe D was the best palyer he saw (and he saw everyone from the 30s and beyond, including negro leaguers like Josh Gibson)

in my eyes though, Mantle was a step or two offensively ahead of Mays and had the real heart of a champ (and a drunk)

My Father is in his late 70s, and he saw all 3 play, in their primes. He was born and breed in Brooklyn, NY and lived there almost all his life, including now.

He always mentions that Mays had an incredible amount of range in CF. And it came in handy in the Polo Grounds. Mantle could track balls almost as well, but Willie was a bit ahead of him. But he thinks it is like splitting hairs. Either one would be a plus plus CF these days.

He thinks Joe D. was better than both though. He did not have the range of Willie or Mickey, but he was incredibly always in the right spot at the right time. He would be in RCF on 1 pitch, and while the pitcher was winding up, shift towards his left, really moving fast. And more often than not, he was there when the fly ball landed. Eddie Lopat wrote in his book how it was amazing how often he would shake off the Catcher, only to see the next pitch drilled towards the alleys in the OF, and there was Joe D., even though on the previous pitch he was shifted the other way.

Archived