Nice D'Bust article.

DonCorleone

Jets pleased with D'Brickashaw Ferguson's progress

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, December 28th 2007, 4:00 AM

Only three offensive linemen in the NFL have allowed more sacks than Jets LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson, but Eric Mangini claimed Thursday he's "pleased" with Ferguson's development in his second season.

The Jets' coach said Ferguson has learned to handle the different types of pass rushers, and he also believes the former fourth overall pick has been "more physical and more consistent with finishing blocks."

That said, Ferguson has surrendered 11.75 sacks, according to STATS LLC. Lions LT Jeff Backus leads the league with 15.50. As a rookie, Ferguson finished with 10.

When it was suggested that Ferguson hasn't lived up to his draft status, Mangini said, "You want every draft pick and every player that you bring in to be playing at the top of the league at all times, but each guy is different, each situation is different."

Ferguson believes he has improved since his rookie year, saying "the ratio has been a lot better" in terms of good games versus bad games.

On Sunday, Ferguson will have one of his toughest assignments - Chiefs DE Jared Allen, who is second in the AFC with 13-1/2 sacks.

The Jets' faith in Ferguson will be put to the test around draft time. With a possible top-five pick, they could be in position to select Michigan OT Jake Long, by far the best offensive line prospect in the coming draft.

K.C. VS. K.C.: Barring a medical setback, QB Kellen Clemens will return to the starting lineup after missing one game with rib and left-shoulder injuries. Mangini hasn't announced his plans, but he has every intention of starting Clemens.

Clemens remained limited in practice, according to the team, but he's taking more reps than last week. He worked with the starters and threw without any problems during the first 30 minutes of practice, which is open to the media.

TY'S TAKE: Former Jets and Patriots CB Ty Law, on a teleconference from Kansas City, described Mangini as a "Mini-Me" with regard to the coach's relationship with former mentor Bill Belichick.

"He was with Bill for so long that there are certain nuances that you see in Eric that Bill has," Law said. "He was like a 'Mini-Me.'"

CROY ME A RIVER: Chiefs QB Brodie Croyle, who injured his throwing hand last week, returned to practice on a full-time basis and it looks like he'll be ready to start. ... C Nick Mangold was excused from practice for personal reasons.

3rd in sacks allowed? Good thing we spent a #4 overall pick on this stiff.

Yeah but he's improved.....Yeah but he has potential......Yeah but he was the safe pick......Yeah but maybe he'll turn into an ok player....Yeah but he's "Athletic" player.......

The truth is that he will never...ever be a dominant player.

Those stats are total BS. No way in hell has D'Brick given up 10+ sacks this year (How the hell do they come up with .75???)

I would love to know the records for each one of those or how exactly they are compiled. For example they probably put 3 on him last week because the RE Vanden Bosch got 3, however d'brick was only responsible for one. No way in hell has D'brick given up that many, he's been very solid this year and is starting to really impress me.

Those stats are total BS. No way in hell has D'Brick given up 10+ sacks this year (How the hell do they come up with .75???)

I would love to know the records for each one of those or how exactly they are compiled. For example they probably put 3 on him last week because the RE Vanden Bosch got 3, however d'brick was only responsible for one. No way in hell has D'brick given up that many, he's been very solid this year and is starting to really impress me.

I am not sure how the stats are calculated. But I have watched him get beatean quite a few times this year and on some occasions, pretty badly. I don't see this guy becoming a great player at his position. If we get lucky, he may become adequate.

I am not sure how the stats are calculated. But I have watched him get beatean quite a few times this year and on some occasions, pretty badly. I don't see this guy becoming a great player at his position. If we get lucky, he may become adequate.

He hasn't been beaten too often at all, for example in the Dallas game. I think Ware got 2 sacks or something but that came from Clemens holding onto the ball way too long, same thing happened vs Taylor in the Dolphins game. Those sacks aren't on the Linemen.

D'Brick has improved a lot this year and I don't care what the stats say, anyone who can't see that is either blind or stupid.

He hasn't been beaten too often at all, for example in the Dallas game. I think Ware got 2 sacks or something but that came from Clemens holding onto the ball way too long, same thing happened vs Taylor in the Dolphins game. Those sacks aren't on the Linemen.

D'Brick has improved a lot this year and I don't care what the stats say, anyone who can't see that is either blind or stupid.

I can't see it..and I am neither blind nor stupid. I sincerely don't believe this guy will ever be the player that a good 4th over all should be.

I can't see it..and I am neither blind nor stupid. I sincerely don't believe this guy will ever be the player that a good 4th over all should be.

If you can't see at least an improvement then there's something seriously wrong because it's obvious. Whether he'll ever turn out to be worthy of a #4 pick is up for debate but all I do know is that he's improving. In a few years I think he'll be as good a pass blocker as any LT in the league. His run blocking will never be dominant but that's not the primary job of the LT.

If you can't see at least an improvement then there's something seriously wrong because it's obvious. Whether he'll ever turn out to be worthy of a #4 pick is up for debate but all I do know is that he's improving. In a few years I think he'll be as good a pass blocker as any LT in the league. His run blocking will never be dominant but that's not the primary job of the LT.

I do not disagree with the improvement argument. I just don't see him becoming anything more than adequate. I don't think that you blow a 4th overall pick on adequate...you can find that at 2nd and 3rd pick.

I do not disagree with the improvement argument. I just don't see him becoming anything more than adequate. I don't think that you blow a 4th overall pick on adequate...you can find that at 2nd and 3rd pick.

That's were our opinions differ. He's still young and I do think he'll develop into more than just adequate. Don't forget that the LG next him is a liability which D'Brick is probably aware of, don't think that hasn't affected his play. IMO he can turn into an elite pass blocking LT.

Archived