Rule changes coming when NHL resumes-opinions?

faba

NHL | If NHL returns, look for a more lively game

By Tim Panaccio, Inquirer Staff Writer

July 1, 2005

Seeking to generate more offense and excitement, the NHL will make major changes if the game returns to the ice this fall.

League sources said last night that the red line will be discounted, thus allowing passes from blue line to blue line. The red line will remain on the ice only to determine icing.

Also given tentative approval is the elimination of ties. Instead, a shoot-out after a period of overtime would be used.

If the lockout ends and a new collective-bargaining agreement is announced, the rules changes also are expected to be announced.

The push for the changes began in April. Officials from the league and the NHL Players' Association and several players met in Romulus, Mich., to discuss how to improve the speed of the game and add scoring.

As the talks continued, one factor that apparently dominated the discussion was the experience that NHL players, coaches and general managers had at the world championship tournament in May.

They agreed that the game seemed much better without the red line.

During their 5-1 rout of Sweden in an early round of the world championship, the Americans had three breakaway goals off passes from one blue line to the other that would have been illegal two-line passes in the NHL.

"I am liking this more and more as a way to open up the game," U.S. player Doug Weight said after that game. "I'd probably be chasing [NHL star] Rick Nash a lot, but I would enjoy this."

"Now, you will have longer plays through the neutral zone," Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock said. "Anything that makes the game faster is good for hockey. This will help promote continuous play."

Flyers center Jeremy Roenick was stunned when told that the red line no longer would negate long passes.

"Oh, my God, this is spectacular," Roenick said. "Wow! Unbelievable. This is going to bring a different element to NHL hockey. Taking the red line out will allow cheating [back for breakaways.]... This is great for the NHL.

"Some people think that the defense will simply back up to the other blue line. But even if you do that, you will allow the offensive team to come through neutral ice with speed. That's what we want - more speed, more breakaways, more two-on-one rushes.

"If I'm on right wing, it's going to be easy for me to cheat and get a breakaway pass from [Flyers teammate] Kim Johnsson to the other blue line."

Since two-line passing that generates breakaways should produce more goals, Flyers goalie Robert Esche's goals-against average would likely rise.

"I won't be happy giving up more goals, but it affects everyone," Esche said. "This is where goalies who are very athletic are going to come into play. I'm for anything that makes the games more exciting for the fans."

As for the elimination of ties, the overtime period would begin four-on-four, then shift to three-on-three before the shoot-out. What appears undecided is how long the teams will play four-on-four before losing a man.

Among other planned rules changes:

Tag-up offsides will return.

No-touch icing will be used.

The size of goalie equipment will be drastically reduced.

These changes were virtually guaranteed months ago. Already, equipment manufacturers are making equipment to the new specifications.

"This is going to be fun stuff," Esche said.

NHL |

New Rules for the NHL

When the NHL announces a new collective-bargaining agreement, a number

of rules changes are expected as well:

The red line will not be used to determine two-line passes.

In overtime, teams will play four-on-four, followed by three-on-three, and then a shoot-out.

There will be no ties; standings will show wins, losses, overtime losses and shoot-out losses.

Tag-up offside. This enables players already inside the offensive zone before the puck crosses the blue line to peel back and touch the blue line to become onside.

No-touch icing. Defensive players need not touch the puck for an official to call icing.

The size of the goalie equipment will be drastically reduced.

Opening up the ice is long over due - to allow the breakout passes.

I am not too thrilled with shootout determining a winner and loser if no score in overtime period though

I like the proposed changes -except for the above mentioned shootout - I know it might be a very small sample that would come to this but I do not think a team should lose based on this.

Also to restrict the goalies that are able to handle the puck to their and the teams advantage I think is penalizing a player with superior skills like Brodeur of the Devils

No Red Line - Like It

Tag Up Offsides - Like it (Why they took it away I'll never know)

Automatic Icing - Don't like it.

Smaller Goalie Equipment - Don't mind it.

Shootouts - RIDICULOUS. NFL games are not decided on FG kicking so why a shootout for the NHL. A tie is a tie. Everyone gets their point and moves on. If 2 teams battle for a 1-1 tie and completely play their asses off, do they deserve to lose on a 'skill' competition. No!

3 on 3 OT - STUPID

Obstruction Crackdown - I've heard that before. Make it fair for all sides. If this is enforced correctly the Devils will never win another game.

"Fat" nets - ARE YOU GOD DAMNED KIDDING ME? By far the most ridiculous idea ever created.

Not letting Goalies out of crease - RIDICULOUS! Let em out whereever they want to go, let them play the puck, but they become fair game when they do.

But hey who cares. The NHL has alienated their 'seasonal' fans, why not finish the job and alienate their hard core fans while they're at it. Drive the people still around and still paying for season tix away with new bullsh*t rules and drastic changes to the game because some god damned idiot in Nashville doesn't think a hockey game is exciting unless the score is 10-9.

Keep this in mind everyone who wants to change the game -

How many massive changes has the world's most popular sport (Soccer) undergone in 100 years?

No Red Line - Like It

Shootouts - RIDICULOUS. NFL games are not decided on FG kicking so why a shootout for the NHL. A tie is a tie. Everyone gets their point and moves on. If 2 teams battle for a 1-1 tie and completely play their asses off, do they deserve to lose on a 'skill' competition. No!

3 on 3 OT - STUPID

Obstruction Crackdown - I've heard that before. Make it fair for all sides. If this is enforced correctly the Devils will never win another game.

"Fat" nets - ARE YOU GOD DAMNED KIDDING ME? By far the most ridiculous idea ever created.

Not letting Goalies out of crease - RIDICULOUS! Let em out whereever they want to go, let them play the puck, but they become fair game when they do.

But hey who cares. The NHL has alienated their 'seasonal' fans, why not finish the job and alienate their hard core fans while they're at it. Drive the people still around and still paying for season tix away with new bullsh*t rules and drastic changes to the game because some god damned idiot in Nashville doesn't think a hockey game is exciting unless the score is 10-9.

How many massive changes has the world's most popular sport (Soccer) undergone in 100 years?

Agreed 100 per cent on shootouts - this is not a skills competition at the all star break.

Games should be decided by teams playing not a shootout. After 15 minutes and no resolution than both teams deserve a tie and a point.

The only way I would remotely support a shootout is if the 'losing' team gets 1 point and the 'winning aka lucky' team gets 2 points.

If my Red Wings, Your Devils, Flyers or Rangers played their guts out, left everything on the ice, and some opposition's idiot comes off the bench and gets a lucky bounce to go his way you'd be upset too.

No Red Line - Like It

3 on 3 OT - STUPID

the nets and no two line passing rules and smaller equipment will make the game seem better but it will make a mockery of the records held by Gretzky and all the other goal scorers not to mention the goal tenders that put up great numbers

the nets and no two line passing rules and smaller equipment will make the game seem better but it will make a mockery of the records held by Gretzky and all the other goal scorers not to mention the goal tenders that put up great numbers

Valid Point. You make the nets bigger and every record from this point forwards is a joke. At a minimum it has a '*' next to it.

Hey, how about these nets? Would this please all these idiots who think hockey games need to be 9-7??

pr-Soccer-Kwik_Goal_Chevron_Soccer_Net_3B3-resized200.jpg

Archived