Tomlin = Idiot

drago

Down by five with five minutes left and going for two makes sense when you are two yards away. The situation couldn't be more different if you are twelve yards away.

Coaches lean too much on the "field goal is a tying score theory". To me, that Steeler team had about a 5 percent chance of completing the conversion once they were pushed back. Kick the extra point, leaving you down by four.

They had all their timeouts and a frustrated Jaguar team to kick the ball to. Chances are, they will get the ball back with decent time remaining, which they did. Since they went for the two and missed, when Pitt scored again they had to go for two to put them up by three. Missing on both attempts cost them the game.

Being up by one with two minutes left is a hell of a lot different then being up by three.

The only reason you go for two from twelve yards out is if you are trying to get within two or one score, or it ties the game. Otherwise, take the point.

Down by five with five minutes left and going for two makes sense when you are two yards away. The situation couldn't be more different if you are twelve yards away.

Coaches lean too much on the "field goal is a tying score theory". To me, that Steeler team had about a 5 percent chance of completing the conversion once they were pushed back. Kick the extra point, leaving you down by four.

They had all their timeouts and a frustrated Jaguar team to kick the ball to. Chances are, they will get the ball back with decent time remaining, which they did. Since they went for the two and missed, when Pitt scored again they had to go for two to put them up by three. Missing on both attempts cost them the game.

Being up by one with two minutes left is a hell of a lot different then being up by three.

The only reason you go for two from twelve yards out is if you are trying to get within two or one score, or it ties the game. Otherwise, take the point.

In hindsight that's easy to say but at the time I agreed with the desicions.

But hey, I'm not a HC so what do I know?:lol:

In hindsight that's easy to say but at the time I agreed with the desicions.

But hey, I'm not a HC so what do I know?:lol:

when i was watching i was on board with everyone else when they two point conv was from two yards. There was just no chance of them converting from twelve. They went for two twice...they missed twice, had they kicked in both cases it would have gone to overtime, or the jags would have tried harder to punch it in with minimal time remaining.

This wasn't hindsight, this was tomlin ****ing it up.

when i was watching i was on board with everyone else when they two point conv was from two yards. There was just no chance of them converting from twelve. They went for two twice...they missed twice, had they kicked in both cases it would have gone to overtime, or the jags would have tried harder to punch it in with minimal time remaining.

This wasn't hindsight, this was tomlin ****ing it up.

i like when Tomlin said in the post game press conference "if i had a crystal ball and knew we would miss both times and end up losing by 2, i would've kicked the 2 extra points." he made the right moves, you're trying to get it to a field goal the first time. it didnt work out. hindsight is 20/20. yes, if only that dummy had had a crystal ball and kicked extra points he'd be a genius.

please.

i like when Tomlin said in the post game press conference "if i had a crystal ball and knew we would miss both times and end up losing by 2, i would've kicked the 2 extra points." he made the right moves, you're trying to get it to a field goal the first time. it didnt work out. hindsight is 20/20. yes, if only that dummy had had a crystal ball and kicked extra points he'd be a genius.

please.

So it's a good idea to surrender a free point? By going for it from twelve out that is exactly what you are doing. Take the point.

Going for 2 was a no brainer the first time. But going for two after a penalty from the 12 yard line? I'm not so sure that's the smartest decision.

I have not been that impressed with him this season. He punted to Washington in OT and lost the game because of it. He did a good job at times, but at other times it seems like he was outcoached by a mile.

All I know is Steelers fans should just shup up at this point. On 4th and 2 and you allow a guy who isn't known to be quick to run for 32 yards is kind of sad. And as far as Big Ben, yeah when's the last time he had a great game in the playoffs? It wasn't like they won the SB because of him. I'll give him the Colts game a few seasons back, but other than that, the Steelers seemed to survive in spite of him, not win because of him. And who knows about that OL. They looked awful yesterday. Yeah he can say injuries caused some of that mess, but at some point if you want to be paid top dollar as an OL, you have to step up and cover for your injured teammates. Faneca sure didn't look good at all yesterday.

So the Steelers lose by 2 points, and people on here are killing Tomlin for going for a 2 point converstion when kicking a PAT would simply have had him losing by one point, and thus would not have been relevant? It seems like the course of the game simply bore out that he made the intelligent decision, getting 1 point when you need 2 does not help you.

Some people will bitch and whine about everything, not considering how stupid it makes them look.

These coaches don't have the benefit of hindsight, so criticizing them with it is retarded.

So the Steelers lose by 2 points, and people on here are killing Tomlin for going for a 2 point converstion when kicking a PAT would simply have had him losing by one point, and thus would not have been relevant? It seems like the course of the game simply bore out that he made the intelligent decision, getting 1 point when you need 2 does not help you.

Some people will bitch and whine about everything, not considering how stupid it makes them look.

hello they should not have gone for the 1st one with 8 minutes left in game

would have been 28-24... it was dumb no 2 ways about it

hello they should not have gone for the 1st one with 8 minutes left in game

would have been 28-24... it was dumb no 2 ways about it

If he gets the 2 pointer, it would be 28-25, and they are down by a FG. That is why they went for it. He did not know that he'd get another TD. For the second one, it was 29-28, again he goes for the 2 pointer because he gets a FG lead. At the times that he did that, the decision was right both times.

But let's say they do kick the PATs. The Jags now need a TD to win it. Did you watch the end of that game? They could have gone in if they wanted to. The Steelers would still have lost.

If he gets the 2 pointer, it would be 28-25, and they are down by a FG. That is why they went for it. He did not know that he'd get another TD. For the second one, it was 29-28, again he goes for the 2 pointer because he gets a FG lead. At the times that he did that, the decision was right both times.

But let's say they do kick the PATs. The Jags now need a TD to win it. Did you watch the end of that game? They could have gone in if they wanted to. The Steelers would still have lost.

Umm how do you know if they would have scored a td. You don't chase points with plenty of time on the clock, specially when they were dominating 2nd half. it cost them you can believe what you want to

Umm how do you know if they would have scored a td. You don't chase points with plenty of time on the clock, specially when they were dominating 2nd half. it cost them you can believe what you want to

Man, I did that to show you something, and it went right over your head. How is Tomlin supposed to know that he is going to lose by 2 after each team scores twice more in the quarter? When he made his decision, he was doing it because he didn't know what was going to happen. If he's making his decisions expecting them to keep scoring, well a lot of things are different, but why can't I expect the Jags to score a TD when they're driving right down the field and they kicked basically a PAT to win the game?

Man, I did that to show you something, and it went right over your head. How is Tomlin supposed to know that he is going to lose by 2 after each team scores twice more in the quarter? When he made his decision, he was doing it because he didn't know what was going to happen. If he's making his decisions expecting them to keep scoring, well a lot of things are different, but why can't I expect the Jags to score a TD when they're driving right down the field and they kicked basically a PAT to win the game?

The correct strategy is to take one point with ample time left on the clock.

It is different if there was just a few minutes on clock. He blew it.

The fact they went for a 2 point conversion isn't the issue for me. It made sense at the time. But when they went for 2 after a penalty at the 12 yard line is pressing your luck. It's like when the Jets attempted two onside kicks in a row. At some point you need to go by the stats. Maybe it wouldn't have meant anything but going for 2 from the 12 is asking for trouble.

But none of that means a damn thing. IF the defense would have tacked Garrard nobody would be speaking about it. I thought the Steelers had a good defense. Even if Garrard gains 3 yards, they probably still aren't in FG range and have no timeouts. Allowing a guy like him to gain 32 yards is just a disgrace. Like I said, stupid Steelers fans and the Steelers players should just shut up. When you allow a 32 yard run by a QB who isn't know for his speed on 4th and 2, you should just hide your heads. It couldn't have happened to a better team. Well maybe if it happened to the Pats, but that's another story.

Exactly.

There was 10:25 left when they cut the score to 5 (i.e. 28-23).

I understand the sentiment to not kill the coach, but there was way too much time left when they scored. It was far from being a one possession game. The point to get the defeicit to 3 makes sense when there is little time left. With ten plus minutes, the Jags could have scored to make the defecit 8 or 12 if you miss the 2 point conversion.

Tomlin F'd up.

Archived