Goose FINALLY gets the call...

toon88

He can join hitter.com in the area where the ringless players reside.

I was going to reply that it's the same neighborhood that Mattingly lives in, but then I realized that Mattingly couldn't carry the Splinter's jock.

17 time all star, 2 time Triple Crown winner, 2 time MVP, 12 time batting champ, one of the top 10 players in the history of baseball. Not to mention that he lost years of his prime years to go to war.

This is a thread congratulating Goose Gossage on his entry to the Hall of Fame. Yet you feel the need to try and denigrate one of the greatest ball players of all time. Why? Because he's a Red Sox.

You, my friend, are a giant douche. I made the right choice when I banned you the first time.

I was going to reply that it's the same neighborhood that Mattingly lives in, but then I realized that Mattingly couldn't carry the Splinter's jock.

17 time all star, 2 time Triple Crown winner, 2 time MVP, 12 time batting champ, one of the top 10 players in the history of baseball. Not to mention that he lost years of his prime years to go to war.

This is a thread congratulating Goose Gossage on his entry to the Hall of Fame. Yet you feel the need to try and denigrate one of the greatest ball players of all time. Why? Because he's a Red Sox.

You, my friend, are a giant douche. I made the right choice when I banned you the first time.

Thor, I have a question for you. Many fans (some Yankee fans as well) dump on ARod because the Yanks haven't won a ring with him. Do Red Sox fans feel the same way about Teddy? I mean this was a guy who made enemies with the media and fans alike during his playing days and that eventually softened up after retirement.

Thor, I have a question for you. Many fans (some Yankee fans as well) dump on ARod because the Yanks haven't won a ring with him. Do Red Sox fans feel the same way about Teddy? I mean this was a guy who made enemies with the media and fans alike during his playing days and that eventually softened up after retirement.

That's a great question. Sox fans are/were different from Yankee fans. Yankee fans always expected to win, Sox fans always expected the other shoe to fall. That said, Williams only played in one postseason, and he hit poorly. I wasn't around then, so I really have no idea what the fan sentimenat was at the time. However, I don't think the fans killed him for not winning a ring, as he was on a pretty bad team for much of his career.

A-Rod has now had several chances in the postseason, and he has come up small more often than not. As a Yankee fan, I wouldn't be too worried about it just yet, with the money that the Yanks can throw around, they're sure to win another one soon, and A-Rod will get his ring.

That's a great question. Sox fans are/were different from Yankee fans. Yankee fans always expected to win, Sox fans always expected the other shoe to fall. That said, Williams only played in one postseason, and he hit poorly. I wasn't around then, so I really have no idea what the fan sentimenat was at the time. However, I don't think the fans killed him for not winning a ring, as he was on a pretty bad team for much of his career.

A-Rod has now had several chances in the postseason, and he has come up small more often than not. As a Yankee fan, I wouldn't be too worried about it just yet, with the money that the Yanks can throw around, they're sure to win another one soon, and A-Rod will get his ring.

Great question, and an excellent response.

My Father tells me that when he was growing up in Brooklyn (a Yankee fan in the middle of Dodger town), that the Dodgers, and to a lessor extent, the Giants, did not get the grief in the press over not winning even though the Yankees were winning seemingly every year, at their expense. It was not as big an issue in those days.

Maybe WWII and the Korean War, which also were occurring during parts of those times, had something to do with it.

But he thinks that sports fans in those days were more interested in rooting for the team, but did not become obsessed over winning like many are today.

Great question, and an excellent response.

My Father tells me that when he was growing up in Brooklyn (a Yankee fan in the middle of Dodger town), that the Dodgers, and to a lessor extent, the Giants, did not get the grief in the press over not winning even though the Yankees were winning seemingly every year, at their expense. It was not as big an issue in those days.

Maybe WWII and the Korean War, which also were occurring during parts of those times, had something to do with it.

But he thinks that sports fans in those days were more interested in rooting for the team, but did not become obsessed over winning like many are today.

Your dad was right...I think a lot has to do with the way the sports media has evolved over the years. It's everywhere...back then you had a few radio and TV stations...parts of the country never got to see players perform the way you can today...they would have to wait until the WS...players like Ted Williams never got to perform on the "grand stage" that is the sports media of today.

Your dad was right...I think a lot has to do with the way the sports media has evolved over the years. It's everywhere...back then you had a few radio and TV stations...parts of the country never got to see players perform the way you can today...they would have to wait until the WS...players like Ted Williams never got to perform on the "grand stage" that is the sports media of today.

All so very true. Living in NY City, with the Yankees, Dodgers and Giants in town, you got a chance to see all the players. Same with Chicago, and at times, Philly and St. Louis. But elsewhere, one did not get to see the other league at all, especially if your team was not a WS participant.

Archived