No 1st baseman. Poor bullpen. Why?

Barton

I've supported Cashman in the past, but this is getting to be too much.

Latroy Hawkins and a revolving door of endless losers in the bullpen. And now he cant even find a competent 1st baseman who both field and hit? He's had years to fix these issues.

Cashman is on the hook if we lose this year, especially if these 2 units dont produce.

I've supported Cashman in the past, but this is getting to be too much.

Latroy Hawkins and a revolving door of endless losers in the bullpen. And now he cant even find a competent 1st baseman who both field and hit? He's had years to fix these issues.

Cashman is on the hook if we lose this year, especially if these 2 units dont produce.

Not sure about 1B but I know pitching wise there seemed to be pretty slim plickings out there this year which is why, I think, we're seeing so many trades instead. Hopefully some of the Yankee "kid" pitchers turn it up a notch. Hawkins has never amounted to much so maybe , if a kid or 2 looks good , he won't even head North with the team.

I actually think Jason Giambi is a pretty solid option at 1B if healthy. Admittedly, that's a very dicey situation. Even being hurt for most of last year though, he still managed an .800 OPS. He is 37, however, and he might have reached the point where there's no going up. But he's one year removed from two straight .970+ OPS seasons, so there's plenty of reason to be optimistic.

As far as the bullpen goes, there wasn't a lot Cashman could do. Every free agent reliever got far more than they were worth. LaTroy Hawkins was a decent, low-risk, high-reward signing. The only thing I would regret would be not trading for someone like Marte, but we don't know what the price was on that trade either. The best and easiest way is to build a farm from within and the Yankees have a lot of guys who are more than ready to make an impact: Edwar Ramirez, Alan Horne (if they decide to move him to bullpen duty), JB Cox, and Ross Ohlendorf. And Mark Melancon and Humberto Sanchez are very highly regarded and will be ready by mid-season.

Jason Lane, Shelly Duncan and Jason Giambi could probably grope their way to a productive 1b situation. Not great, but decent. As to the bullpen, who really has a lights out bullpen after a stud clsoer anyway? At a loss why they didn't go for linebrink, but really, is Hawkins thta much worse? Figure that whoe ver doesn't make the rotation goes to he pen anyway.

Set up relievers and middle innings guys make a lot of money in FA, and want multiple years. Cashman and the Yankees have already been burned by the likes of Farnsworth, Karsay, etc. I like the Hawkins deal as it is only 1 season, and I bet he can produce similar to what Viz did last year.

I agree with DaBrick Wall here. Relief pitching needs to be built from within. Get a solid Farm System, and you will have your core bullpen. And, like DaBrick Wall also noted, if healthy, Giambi can produce offensively, and we can live with him at 1B/DH, around a Duncan/Betemit backup situation.

Jason Lane, Shelly Duncan and Jason Giambi could probably grope their way to a productive 1b situation. Not great, but decent. As to the bullpen, who really has a lights out bullpen after a stud clsoer anyway? At a loss why they didn't go for linebrink, but really, is Hawkins thta much worse? Figure that whoe ver doesn't make the rotation goes to he pen anyway.

They didn't go after Linebrink because 4 years at $5 million per would have been another disaster for the next four years. Linebrink was largely helped by pitching in arguably the best pitchers park in baseball. That was the right decision. His last two years have been far from good and 1 1/2 of those years came in Petco Park.

You guys keep Joba in the pen...

Hawkins-7

Joba-8

Mariano-9

Sounds like a pretty good bullpen to me

cuz i guess they cant afford another million for a great first basemen but they can give 16 million to abreu. giambi is too big, old, and slow to play 1st anymore, shelley duncan has too great of an arm for first, but hes good enough to play the outfield, which is why i dont see why abreus back, and betemit who cant play any position. doug mientkiewicz may not have a 300+ bat but he is a great first basemen and he wont cost them much

Archived