Its Official: Kidd dealt to Mavs in seven player deal

Nets ship All-Star Kidd to Mavs in seven-player deal

By Tony Mejia

CBSSports.com Staff Writer

The New Jersey Nets have agreed to send Jason Kidd and Malik Allen to Dallas for Devin Harris, Jerry Stackhouse, DeSagana Diop, Devean George, Maurice Ager, two first-round picks and $3 million, sources have told CBSSports.com.

The move grants Kidd his exit from New Jersey, a request he made official earlier this month, and comes on the heels of Mavericks owner Mark Cuban denying that he was interested in dealing Harris, Stackhouse or Diop, vital contributors on the team that took a 2-0 lead on Miami in the 2006 NBA Finals.

The deal is expected to be completed Wednesday.

In Harris, New Jersey gets the young building block it was requiring to move Kidd, not to mention cap relief since Diop and George both have expiring deals. Dallas paid a steep price for Kidd's services but does net the future Hall of Famer without surrendering Dirk Nowitzki, Josh Howard or Jason Terry, its three leading scorers.

Presumably, another move is coming for the Mavericks, who are left with Brandon Bass, Juwan Howard, Allen and rookie Nick Fazekas as backups up front for Nowitzki and Erick Dampier.

Dallas will have two weeks to add a 13th player to fulfill the league's roster minimum.

Terry, Trenton Hassell, Eddie Jones will likely get any minutes on the wing after the departures of Stackhouse and George. Harris, whose starting spot had been being kept warm by Terry and Jose Juan Barea since he suffered a bone bruise on his ankle Jan. 27, will obviously be replaced by Kidd.

Harris is scheduled to return after the All-Star break.

Kidd, 34, started his NBA career in Dallas in 1994, playing 2

If the Mavs don't win a title this year, then the Nets get the better deal. I think Devin Harris is a really good point guard and will be for some time. Plus, the Nets are getting rid of a ton of money after this season. I wonder if they'll buy out Stackhouse right away and he'll re-up with the Mavs. Of course, trading Diop, the mavs are now counting heavily on Erick Dampier. Against, Gasol/Bynum, Duncan, and now Shaq.. amongst others. Could work and could, more than likely, not.

If the Mavs don't win a title this year, then the Nets get the better deal. I think Devin Harris is a really good point guard and will be for some time. Plus, the Nets are getting rid of a ton of money after this season. I wonder if they'll buy out Stackhouse right away and he'll re-up with the Mavs. Of course, trading Diop, the mavs are now counting heavily on Erick Dampier. Against, Gasol/Bynum, Duncan, and now Shaq.. amongst others. Could work and could, more than likely, not.

I agree. Nets made a good deal here. Harris is a good young player and Diop is actually a pretty good role player. I'm surprise the Mavs traded Diop. Dampier sucks.

Devean George is a scrub.

a scrub with a no trade clause. Did you see him last night? Terrible. But the Mavs were dumb enough to give him a no trade clause.

The Mavs have a problem now because they traded basically everyone they could. They needed a lot of players so that the salary would come close to matching Kidd and Allen.

Trade is up in the air unless they can rework the deal. The Nets are getting just as bad as the Knicks in how the org. is being run.

I have no idea what you're talking about. The Knicks are run by a mentally retarded individual.

The Nets totally ripped off the Mavs. Not their fault George blocked it.

You ever watched Devin Harris?

I have no idea what you're talking about. The Knicks are run by a mentally retarded individual.

The Nets totally ripped off the Mavs. Not their fault George blocked it.

You ever watched Devin Harris?

They have a move to Brooklyn that still is up in the air- meanwhile they want fans to come see them in New jersey at crazy prices- they did not do due diligence in doing the trade if they did not know about this.

a scrub with a no trade clause. Did you see him last night? Terrible. But the Mavs were dumb enough to give him a no trade clause.

The Mavs have a problem now because they traded basically everyone they could. They needed a lot of players so that the salary would come close to matching Kidd and Allen.

Guess nobody bothered to even read the article. Devean George DOES NOT have a no-trade clause. Only Kobe does. George is on a one year deal, but finished last year with the Mavs so he has Larry Bird rights that he would lose if he were traded. Therefore, they need his consent to trade him. The Mavs and Nets probably expected to get his consent because he had already demanded a trade if he didn't get more playing time.

sounds like Devin Harris, DeSagana Diop, Trenton Hassell, Moe Ager, Keith Van Horn, $3 million, and two first round draft picks.

Still don't like this deal for Dallas. Leaves a hole in the middle and Gasol, O'neal, Duncan, etc will undoubtedly take advantage of this. Who would you rather have in three years: Harris or Kidd?

The eight-player deal, in the making since before the All-Star break and talked about a lot longer than that, sends Kidd, forward Malik Allen and guard Antoine Wright to Dallas.

The primary piece headed to New Jersey is point guard Devin Harris. The others are center DeSagana Diop, swingman Maurice Ager, forward Trenton Hassell and retired forward Keith Van Horn. New Jersey also gets two first-round draft picks and $3 million.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BKN_NETS_MAVERICKS_TRADE?SITE=1010WINS&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

I think the Nets also get some exceptions.

Archived