2008 Free Agent tracker on sportsline.com

Sperm Edwards

He has one more year left on his contract.

Wouldnt that make him a restricted free agent?

Just curious, I'm not to familiar with how free agency works and I thought that having one year left made you a restricted free agent. Or is that something which is specified in the contract?

Just curious, I'm not to familiar with how free agency works and I thought that having one year left made you a restricted free agent. Or is that something which is specified in the contract?

Not being under contract is what makes a player a free agent. If he has one year left, then he is under contract.

But generally, if a team wants to keep the player long-term, they will usually redo his deal when there is one year left. They do this rather than wait until his contract is totally over so they don't have to bid against the other 31 teams. The player is usually agreeable to it b/c it's a sure thing & eliminates the possibility of sustaining a career-ending injury in that last year & ending up with nothing. For this reason, a player will frequently take less than he likely would have gotten if he waited a year until he was a FA.

For this reason, even though Rhodes is under contract, there has been so much talk about locking him up long-term this off-season.

Rhodes has a year left on his deal.

Restricted FA is when a player has only 3 years in the league. It means that if his current team provides a qualifying offer, it can match any deal or get draft pick compensation if he signs elsewhere.

After 4 years in the league he's an unrestricted FA. After less than 3 years he is an exclusive rights FA that has to resign with the old club is he's offered a tender.

Archived