Jets Release CB Dyson and WR McCareins, Waive G Clarke

Smizzy

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
im just super relieved that i wont have to worry about whether or not McCareins is gonna drop the ball when it is thrown to him..

Yes. Unless of course he signs with the plays to play cornerback we shouldn't have to worry about that ever again.

Good question. Bueller? Anyone?

In round numbers:

- JMac should save about $2-3M depending on how much his roster bonus was supposed to be (I don't have the #'s handy).

- Dyson is roughly a wash. Not more than a few hundred thousand in either direction.

- Clarke is roughly a wash. He was making right around the league minimum and another spot will probably be filled with someone else making the league minimum.

Of note, Clement is still on the team, which I think is a good move. He makes roughly backup money anyway and has years of starting experience in case the backup is actually needed.

Barrett is still here as well. This may be just because there's no rush with our loads of cap space. Might as well see what we end up with in the draft and FA. In other words, he'll probably be cut but we won't need his space right now & can cut him in May or June, whichever is needed more. Cap benefit if/when he's cut: $2-3M (I forget which) in 2008.

Barton is still here as well. Also a good idea while we're shopping Vilma. No need to make a hole at the position. We may bring in someone else in FA, otherwise we can draft someone this year & bring him along as slowly as needed this year. Cap benefit if he's cut: creates $3M more cap space in 2008.

In round numbers:

- JMac should save about $2-3M depending on how much his roster bonus was supposed to be (I don't have the #'s handy).

- Dyson is roughly a wash. Not more than a few hundred thousand in either direction.

- Clarke is roughly a wash. He was making right around the league minimum and another spot will probably be filled with someone else making the league minimum.

Of note, Clement is still on the team, which I think is a good move. He makes roughly backup money anyway and has years of starting experience in case the backup is actually needed.

Barrett is still here as well. This may be just because there's no rush with our loads of cap space. Might as well see what we end up with in the draft and FA. In other words, he'll probably be cut but we won't need his space right now & can cut him in May or June, whichever is needed more. Cap benefit if/when he's cut: $2-3M (I forget which) in 2008.

Barton is still here as well. Also a good idea while we're shopping Vilma. No need to make a hole at the position. We may bring in someone else in FA, otherwise we can draft someone this year & bring him along as slowly as needed this year. Cap benefit if he's cut: creates $3M more cap space in 2008.

Nerd.

In round numbers:

Looks to me like you were not close enough. When aec4 did our cap stuff he was more accurate.

I'm just saying.

Speaking of aec4, did anybody find out where the $10M went? Most reports had the Jets at $27M in cap space, but aec had reports they were at $17M. Anybody have the definitive number yet? I mean we're spending it all tomorrow, aren't we?

I have us right now at $20M under the 2008 cap limit after adding everyone up. What a friggin' pain in the ass.

Technically all of the 68 current players' numbers I have (including $295K scrubs who won't make it out of camp) came to about $101M. But you only count the top 53 against the cap. Those top 53 cap numbers, plus dead cap space from players already cut/traded, came to $96.2M from what I have.

So that leaves us with almost exactly $20M cap space after cutting JMac/Dyson/Clarke.

I have us right now at $20M under the 2008 cap limit after adding everyone up. What a friggin' pain in the ass.

Technically all of the 68 current players' numbers I have (including $295K scrubs who won't make it out of camp) came to about $101M. But you only count the top 53 against the cap. Those top 53 cap numbers, plus dead cap space from players already cut/traded, came to $96.2M from what I have.

So that leaves us with almost exactly $20M cap space after cutting JMac/Dyson/Clarke.

What if we were to trade Vilma, Coles, DRob and Penny?

What would our cap space look like then?

I'm only asking because I dont know how trades affect the cap.

Archived