Good Luck Bobby Murcer

Maxman

Text of e-mail sent by Kay Murcer to friends, including our own Bill Madden:

hello dears...

guess it's been too long since we've sent any new messages about our crazy, jam-packed life... and I've always said that "no news is good news", however, that's why I'm getting this to you today. Bobby's MRI Tuesday showed an area that the docs are concerned about, and he is scheduled for a brain biopsy at MDA this coming Monday . . . Please pray that it will be determined to be necrosis (scar tissue from the radiation), and not another cancerous tumor. It's one of the two.

we've had to make many travel changes, but still hope to be in Tampa for spring training games by the 7th, then to NYC for opening day on the 31st. Life comes with a few bitter pills to swallow, and we are trying to digest this latest bit of information with God's grace as our strength.

many of you know that our dear friend, Dr. Sam Hassenbusch, lost his battle with this insideous disease last Monday . . . He was such a good man, and taught us much about how best to handle adversity while inspiring everyone on his path along the way. We have been blessed with the Hassenbusch family's encouragement this last year.

Just know that we are dealing with this the only way we know how... with God, family, friends, prayers. It's a bump in the road, and we care so much that each of you are staying with us as the journey continues.

lots of xoxoxoxo, k & bobby

Text of e-mail sent by Kay Murcer to friends, including our own Bill Madden:

hello dears...

guess it's been too long since we've sent any new messages about our crazy, jam-packed life... and I've always said that "no news is good news", however, that's why I'm getting this to you today. Bobby's MRI Tuesday showed an area that the docs are concerned about, and he is scheduled for a brain biopsy at MDA this coming Monday . . . Please pray that it will be determined to be necrosis (scar tissue from the radiation), and not another cancerous tumor. It's one of the two.

we've had to make many travel changes, but still hope to be in Tampa for spring training games by the 7th, then to NYC for opening day on the 31st. Life comes with a few bitter pills to swallow, and we are trying to digest this latest bit of information with God's grace as our strength.

many of you know that our dear friend, Dr. Sam Hassenbusch, lost his battle with this insideous disease last Monday . . . He was such a good man, and taught us much about how best to handle adversity while inspiring everyone on his path along the way. We have been blessed with the Hassenbusch family's encouragement this last year.

Just know that we are dealing with this the only way we know how... with God, family, friends, prayers. It's a bump in the road, and we care so much that each of you are staying with us as the journey continues.

lots of xoxoxoxo, k & bobby

I heard this news on the radio and I pray for the results of the MRI to show scar tissue which hopefully can be removed. Looking forward to Bobby being in the booth again this year and again fooling around with the old timers on Yankees old timers day. My prayers continue for Bobby and his family to put their well being in God's hands.

I wish him all the best for a full recovery. Hated him when he was here in Chicago but thats all due to PK Wrigley showing he was the premier bigot of the previous millenium. He traded Bill Madlock for Bobby when Murcer was on the down side of his career. Madlock was 25 and had won the NL batting title the last 2 seasons -his 3rd full season in the bigs.

Madlock wouldnt keep his mouth shut like Ernie and Billy Williams and wanted to get paid so Wrigley threw him away. I had no reason other than that for not liking the guy - he was always a class act and gave 100%. Hang tuff Bobby - prayers are out to you and your family.

Murcer's biopsy shows no cancer

Broadcaster plans to rest before returning to Yankees' booth

By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com

TAMPA, Fla. -- Bobby Murcer received "great news" on Wednesday, as a biopsy performed on his brain revealed only scar tissue and no signs of cancer.

"We are very excited about this news," Murcer said. "It's what we had hoped for all along."

Murcer, a former All-Star outfielder and longtime member of the Yankees' broadcast team, had an MRI exam performed last week that revealed a spot on his brain.

Murcer, 61, underwent a biopsy on Monday at the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, where he was operated on in December 2006 for incurable brain cancer. Since the surgery, Murcer has been undergoing regular MRI scans every other month.

Murcer had been scheduled to work several Spring Training games for the YES Network, but he said that he is now setting his sights on returning for the regular-season opener on March 31 in New York.

"We are checking out today and are flying back home to Oklahoma," Murcer said. "I plan on resting at home over the next few weeks and focusing my energy on returning to the Stadium for its final Opening Day. My family and I thank everyone for their prayers, e-mails, cards and thoughts."

Murcer was a five-time All-Star during his 17 big league seasons, with four of those All-Star appearances coming as a member of the Yankees. He batted .277 with 252 home runs and 1,043 RBIs in 1,908 Major League games, and also played for the Cubs and Giants.

For most of the past 24 years, Murcer has worked as a Yankees broadcaster. Murcer was in the radio booth as color analyst from 1983-85 and has been on TV as a color commentator since 1987. He served as the team's assistant general manager in 1986.

Archived