Jets will workout two other OLB's

BroadwayJoe12

Just was reading that both the jets and pats will be working out Groves;jets will be on wednesday and the pats will be on thursday.

It was also reported that the jets and a handful of other teams will fly down to purdue to view avril's individual workouts.

I know each team will be working out tons of players, but after these two workouts, the jets will have been involved with atleast 3 OLBs. I would be very eager to see which of these three impress the most, because that could definately alter our first pick.

Interesting. Is Pace moving inside or is this the end of BT's starting days? You don't draft a guy that high just to light a fire under a guy already here & locked up.

I was thinking about the Pace signing the other day and his versatility could mean more rotating of the LBs or the end of somebodys days as a Jet. Could Barton or BT be on the way our with Gholston being the pick at #6?

Interesting. Is Pace moving inside or is this the end of BT's starting days? You don't draft a guy that high just to light a fire under a guy already here & locked up.

It is very interesting. You don't shell out the type of money that we did to Pace and hope that he would just be playing ILB. If i were the jets, I would look for someone who has the ability to play ILB and OLB in our defense so he could be constantly rotated. I think avril has that potential; he has played a lot of LB and DE in college and has all the tools to be an OLB and ILB. He's strong enough to shed blockers well and couple play inside and switch outside for certain packages and eventually take over from thomas. It could also mean they don't like thomas, but ya never know; how does thomas' contract look? when would be the best time to cut him or trade him if we ever did?

What it does is gives us tons of flexibility and depth.

For instance, we would be able to go big on running downs... with a front 3 of Jenkins, Coleman, and Pouha/Robertson(if hes still on the team), Ellis and Gholston at OLB, and Pace and Harris in the middle.

Meanwhile, on passing situations, we could have a front 3 of Jenkins, Coleman, and Ellis, put BT and Gholston in at OLB, put Pace in the middle, and have them all rush the QB.

It could mean an end to Barton's days, but given how much Mangini loves TC compettitions, my bet is he'd stay till at least the start of preseason.

What it does is gives us tons of flexibility and depth.

For instance, we would be able to go big on running downs... with a front 3 of Jenkins, Coleman, and Pouha/Robertson(if hes still on the team), Ellis and Gholston at OLB, and Pace and Harris in the middle.

Meanwhile, on passing situations, we could have a front 3 of Jenkins, Coleman, and Ellis, put BT and Gholston in at OLB, put Pace in the middle, and have them all rush the QB.

It could mean an end to Barton's days, but given how much Mangini loves TC compettitions, my bet is he'd stay till at least the start of preseason.

I think a big thing to notice here is that they may not be targeting gholston; they are working out the top DE/OLBs in the class, but i havn't heard anything about them working out a plethora of runningbacks, atleast yet. I agree with the flexibility, but i just personally don't see gholston as the top pick anymore.

I would be interested in seeing Pace at ILB next to Harris, he isn't that fast for an OLB.

He's not the fastest, but when you consider suggs running a 4.65 and 4.84 at his combine and proday, respectively, you can see with a 4.79, he still has all the potential to be a great OLB.

He's not the fastest, but when you consider suggs running a 4.65 and 4.84 at his combine and proday, respectively, you can see with a 4.79, he still has all the potential to be a great OLB.

There is a big difference between a 4.65 and a 4.79. I'm not saying he can't play OLB, but I would be interested in seeing him try ILB if we grabbed another OLB.

There is a big difference between a 4.65 and a 4.79. I'm not saying he can't play OLB, but I would be interested in seeing him try ILB if we grabbed another OLB.

You really think there's a huge difference? It doesn't speak to their (respective) reaction times. And even assuming it's identical, then there's barely a 0.1 second difference between the two after running a full 40 yards.

Try this out:

Go find a stopwatch. Try and make it start & stop in less than 0.16 seconds. Now if you're successful, that's how much difference there was in time after running almost half of a football field.

These 40 times are making people go nuts. "Well, this WR is slow; he only ran a 4.47 in the 40; this OTHER guy ran a 4.39; much faster & that's what we need to stretch the field; that's what makes him a playmaker."

When he was here, Bryan Cox used to joke that he was certain he never ran a sub-5-second 40 in his life. Makes me think of that.

I thought the talk when the Jets signed Pace was that they intended to use him inside.

Pace inside with Bowens and outside with Barton? I like a Barton/Bowens platoon in the event they dont use a high pick on a LB. Since they traded a third round pick for Jenkins this is where the Jets may compromise and go with what they have.

Archived