BRINGIN THE PAYNE

Green Jets & Ham

No secret here ... I want Pat Williams in the worst way ... nothing has changed in that regard

BUT ... if we cannot secure Pat Williams, do not sleep on muh-man Seth "bringin the" Payne

Very similar player to Pat Williams only less heralded and cheaper .. poor mans Pat Williams

BIG RUN-STUFFER who is tough to move ... like Pat Williams, much bigger than his listed weight at NFL.com ... another mountain-man DT who is an absolute load to deal with

Anyway, nice alternative if we miss on BIG PAT

Hammer, are you nuts?

Seth Payne is a huge under-achiever with very poor work habits.

They are all ready to run him out of town down here.

Stay away from this guy.

PFT, dude played NT in the 3-4 and did a nice job, no?

One Question ... were the Texans solid verses the run?

Do you know where they ranked verses the run?

Reason I ask is cause the NT is the key ingrediant verses the run in a 3-4 ... Gotta have a stout NT or you'll get steamrolled

Can you tell me how the Texans faired verses the run, cause that {more than anything} will tell me how Payne faired?

Sione Pouha can bring the Pain

by Drew Boylhart

Strengths

Sione has good size and natural strength for his position. He handles the double team very well and has decent lateral movement. He is a 2-gap run stuffing DT and he does a very good job of doing that. He has good feet and balance and does a good job of avoiding the cut block by the center and guard. Sione

PFT, dude played NT in the 3-4 and did a nice job, no?

One Question ... were the Texans solid verses the run?

Do you know where they ranked verses the run?

Reason I ask is cause the NT is the key ingrediant verses the run in a 3-4 ... Gotta have a stout NT or you'll get steamrolled

Can you tell me how the Texans faired verses the run, cause that {more than anything} will tell me how Payne faired?

Texans ranked 13th against the run (avg. 115 yards per game).

If the Jets are seriously thinking of using a 3-4 defense this year, then Williams is the way to go, not with Payne.

When teams were trying to kill the clock on the Texans, this guy was always sucking wind and looking to go to the sidelines for a blow.

Sione Pouha can bring the Pain

by Drew Boylhart

Strengths

Sione has good size and natural strength for his position. He handles the double team very well and has decent lateral movement. He is a 2-gap run stuffing DT and he does a very good job of doing that. He has good feet and balance and does a good job of avoiding the cut block by the center and guard. Sione

Texans ranked 13th against the run (avg. 115 yards per game)

PFT, that is a respectable ranking verses the run ... 13th out of 32 ... not bad

And again, the NT is the main man in a 3-4 verses the run ... without a solid NT you get steamrolled

I'm not saying Payne is an All-Pro or even Pat Williams ... Just a cheap alternative should we fail to secure Pat Williams ... and to be honest with you, I have no confidence that TB willl land BIG PAT

I WOULD LOVE IT and I want Pat in the worst way ... but we must also consider a PLAN B

PFT, that is a respectable ranking verses the run ... 13th out of 32 ... not bad

And again, the NT is the main man in a 3-4 verses the run ... without a solid NT you get steamrolled

I'm not saying Payne is an All-Pro or even Pat Williams ... Just a cheap alternative should we fail to secure Pat Williams ... and to be honest with you, I have no confidence that TB willl land BIG PAT

I WOULD LOVE IT and I want Pat in the worst way ... but we must also consider a PLAN B

Valid points Ham.

I just wanted to make sure you guys knew the knock on him down here.

I'm mean, he's far from a bust but this guy had tremendous potential and has not lived up to it.

Ham here's what I wrote on Payne at DD.com

DT Seth Payne: Recently turned 30, Payne is a very talented DT/NT and team leader, who the Texans would love to have back. Payne suffered a significant hamstring injury and won't be fully healed until May or June, which could hurt his leverage in free agency a bit. Payne's agent and the Texans, nontheless, are expected to get a deal done soon and he should be fine by pre-season.

Tx, the underachievers are the 2 DE's playing next to Payne and 100% of Houston media agrees with this:

TEAM NEED--Defensive end: Defensive end's in the 3-4 scheme aren't expected to put up big numbers, but the 2.5 sacks COMBINED by high paid starters Gary Walker and Robaire Smith are not enough. Also, depth at defensive end is virtually non-existent.

Ham here's what I wrote on Payne at DD.com

Tx, the underachievers are the 2 DE's playing next to Payne and 100% of Houston media agrees with this:

R44- Won't disagree that Payne is talented, but he has still not lived up to his expectations.

I'll try and dig up the article I read a week or so ago, which discussed Payne's situation pretty in-depth with reagrds to the Texans.

TX, it's tough, because of the injury factor...When he first got to Houston he had what seemed like a career ending injury...but he fought back.

It's tough though...He's a 3-4 NT and his stats were as good as the DE's and 1 OLB in 2004.... :shock:

I'll say this: You are right, injuries have been a factor and expections were sky high...

He's really highly regarded though. The Houston Chronicle, the main source I use, speaks glowingly of Payne...

Now, there may be a fan site or 1 writer that disagrees, but I went through several articles to do the draft thing...For about 50 minutes, I pretended I was a Texans fan to soak it all up...

Again, yes, injuries have dogged him in Houston...But he's gutty and country strong.

TX, it's tough, because of the injury factor...When he first got to Houston he had what seemed like a career ending injury...but he fought back.

It's tough though...He's a 3-4 NT and his stats were as good as the DE's and 1 OLB in 2004.... :shock:

I'll say this: You are right, injuries have been a factor and expections were sky high...

He's really highly regarded though. The Houston Chronicle, the main source I use, speaks glowingly of Payne...

Now, there may be a fan site or 1 writer that disagrees, but I went through several articles to do the draft thing...For about 50 minutes, I pretended I was a Texans fan to soak it all up...

Again, yes, injuries have dogged him in Houston...But he's gutty and country strong.

Hey 44,

With the quality of information I have learned from you, I have absolutely no doubt about the work you put into your research.

Also, the article I am referring to was one writer's opinion.

I will be the last person on this board to question your judgement on players.

Your track record speaks for itself.

Hey 44,

With the quality of information I have learned from you, I have absolutely no doubt about the work you put into your research.

Also, the article I am referring to was one writer's opinion.

I will be the last person on this board to question your judgement on players.

Your track record speaks for itself.

Tex, I tried that once. It went poorly. :lol:

Thanks Tex....Can we say this one is a tie, Tex?

I still think Payne is a worthy player, but the Williams "near signing" shows your right too---he's not a sure bet for Texans, as I thought.

It's weird, Walker and Smith get bashed for getting 1 sack each at DE last season, but Payne was almost the first one out the door after having a remarkable "comeback season" :o

Just shows how little loyalty exists in the NFL....Texans tell Payne please comback, but when a less risky player (injury wise) comes along, they almost bail on him.

This makes me a feel a little better about praising him (go done to the DL's)

http://www.freep.com/sports/football/lions-box22e_20050302.htm

Texans re-signed a four-year DT Seth Payne to a four-year, $16 million contract with a $4.5 million signing bonus

Thanks for the update...Makes me feel better about my prediction 3 weeks ago that Payne would 100% stay in Houston and was a key player...

When the Pat Williams story broke today, I thought I was going to be way off and Payne would be forced out.

$4.5 million bounus is nice coin, for an 'injury risk", so they must love him.

Archived