I LOVE THIS GUY

Pragmatic Bus

Hank Steinbrenner says teams should not 'forget who subsidizes a lot of them'

Updated: March 15, 2008, 2:23 PM ET

The acrimony between the New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays took on a new edge Friday, after Major League Baseball handed down its punishment for Wednesday's melee between the two teams.

This time, Yankees general partner Hank Steinbrenner took up the charge, reaffirming the front office's support of manager Joe Girardi, backing the players and making a comment that clearly was directed at the small-market Rays.

"I don't want these teams in general to forget who subsidizes a lot of them, and it's the Yankees, the Red Sox, Dodgers, Mets," he said to The New York Post. "I would prefer if teams want to target the Yankees that they at least start giving some of that revenue sharing and luxury tax money back. From an owner's point of view, that's my point."

Steinbrenner, again exhibiting his penchant for verbal jabbing, said he has been pleased by the Yankees' team-first mentality this spring, and did not want to comment on Shelley Duncan's slide -- the one that prompted the Wednesday skirmish.

"Girardi has his players' back and I have his back and that's never going to change," Hank Steinbrenner said to The Post.

"There are going to be problems, especially if they go after our stars," Steinbrenner added. "It's not going to be tolerated. We never have done it to them. It's just not going to happen anymore."

The Yankees and Rays face each other again Saturday afternoon at Legends Field in a split-squad game. The dispute between the teams started last Saturday, when Rays infielder Elliott Johnson slammed into Yankees catching prospect Francisco Cervelli at home plate. Cervelli broke his wrist and is out for 10 weeks.

On Wednesday, Duncan went spikes-up as he slid into Akinori Iwamura at second base, which caused the benches to clear and Jonny Gomes to rush in from right field to tackle Duncan. On Friday, the commissioner's office issued fines against Girardi, third-base coach Bobby Meacham and hitting coach Kevin Long; suspended Yankees center fielder Melky Cabrera and Duncan for three games each; and suspended Gomes for two games.

Cabrera said on Saturday he most likely will be appealing his suspension.

"All I can tell you is that I will support everything he does, and that will never change," Steinbrenner said of Girardi. "Because this is the manager I wanted, and that's not anything against Joe Torre. That's the manager we wanted at that time. Times change."

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.

HOW CAN U NOT LOVE THIS GUY

HE IS MY NEW FAVOURITE OWNER

He sounds just like the spoiled silver spoon brat that he is.

That's akin to saying that baseball wouldn't exist without the Yankees. F You, Hank.

BTW, what stars were the D-Rays going after? Cerletti and Duncan? Star power.

"Girardi has his players' back and I have his back and that's never going to change," Hank Steinbrenner said to The Post.

until the yankees are playing .500 ball June 1st and 10 games out of first...

That's akin to saying that baseball wouldn't exist without the Yankees. F You, Hank.

Both good points. I like Hank's attitude, but he needs to think a little bit.

until the yankees are playing .500 ball June 1st and 10 games out of first...

hatorade2.jpg

Without the Yankees and Red Socks Baseball probably doesn't exist in the same manner it does today. The star comment was a general statement about past occurrences and Joe torre never retaliating and how that isn't going to be the case anymore.

Sorry... I dont hate the Yankees. Dont know why you would post that... oh that right... you're a yankee fan... discussion and debate doesnt exist in your world.

Hank will throw Girardi under the bus if this team gets off to a lousy start. If you dont see that you are blind.

Girardi is hired to do a job and is responsible for doing that job and the results he gets. That is the bottom line, if he isn't performing up to expectations it isn't surprising if there is some sort of warning/discipline. This is true for any job, don't perform up to expectations and you will be fired.

other_giveACrapMeter.gif

nice... guess you are dumber than I thought.

When are you going to pull out the ol' standby:

We've won 26 World Championships.......

Face it, you have a loudmouth owner. If this team struggles all hell is going to break loose. He is going to look like a real schmuck if they suck.

He's a lousy version of his father. I'd rather my owner shut the f&ck up and let the team prove how good they are. Of course, my Mets proved how good they were last september... ugh.

Girardi is hired to do a job and is responsible for doing that job and the results he gets. That is the bottom line, if he isn't performing up to expectations it isn't surprising if there is some sort of warning/discipline. This is true for any job, don't perform up to expectations and you will be fired.

I know... but he's Hankie's guy. He has Hankies support. He better hope they dont suck with all this grandstanding Hankies doing.

nice... guess you are dumber than I thought.

When are you going to pull out the ol' standby:

We've won 26 World Championships.......

Face it, you have a loudmouth owner. If this team struggles all hell is going to break loose. He is going to look like a real schmuck if they suck.

He's a lousy version of his father. I'd rather my owner shut the f&ck up and let the team prove how good they are. Of course, my Mets proved how good they were last september... ugh.

let me guess somebody pulled a "we have 26 championships" card on u and your hemroids came back

let me guess somebody pulled a "we have 26 championships" card on u and your hemroids came back

no... I've never had hemorrhoids... just "herm"orrhoids.

and that is the typical yankee fan response when they cant debate any issues and allow their fanaticism get in the way of debate and discussion. Since you've proven you are a typical yankee homer I am expecting it from you.

and FYI, it doesnt matter to me how many championships the yankees have won. It doesnt bother me as a fan of the Mets. Maybe most other Mets fans are bothered and hate the yankees because of their success, but they are as pathetic as most Jets fans who whine and cry about being the 2nd best team in NY (ahem, NJ..)

no... I've never had hemorrhoids... just "herm"orrhoids.

and that is they typical yankee fan response when they cant debate any issues and allow their fanaticism get in the way of debate and discussion. Since you've proven you are a typical yankee homer I am expecting it from you.

and FYI, it doesnt matter to me how many championships the yankees have won. It doesnt bother me as a fan of the Mets. Maybe most other Mets fans are bothered and hate the yankees because of their success, but they are as pathetic as most Jets fans who whine and cry about being the 2nd best team in NY (ahem, NJ..)

whats with you and a typical yankee fan. y dont you 2 get a room or something

Both good points. I like Hank's attitude, but he needs to think a little bit.

There is an old saying .........."put brain in gear before putting mouth in motion".............

It definitely applies to Hank. All he ever did was become the lucky sperm lottery winner.;) Otherwise, he is a nothing.

Archived