3-4 Players in the Draft

will

I picked this off a Dolphins chat room (they picked it off another site so I guess this qualifies as viral). Its really good. IMO, anyway. Anyway, enjoy ...

3-4 players in the draft

So, the point of this one is just to get a little bit familiar with what kind of players work best in a 3-4, and which players in this draft in particular are best suited for the Parcells system.

Basically what you're looking for in a 3-4 are a mammoth manbeast of a nose tackle, large as you can possibly find, two defensive ends at around 290 whose primary responsibility is run stopping, two outside linebackers who run right around 270 who are mainly pass rushers, and two inside linebackers who are the traditional linebacker size, which is generally within 15 pounds or so of 250. Parcells values speed in his linebackers. He doesn't just draft big guys, he drafts athletes. But that's not to say that he drafts workout warriors. Every one of the linebackers drafted by Dallas was super productive in college. There's no one there who was a reach. That said, he doesn't draft a lot of instinct guys. There's a reason Zach Thomas isn't a Dolphin anymore. I doubt that he's particularly opposed to the idea, but the guys who weigh 260 pounds and run like cornerbacks don't tend to be real cerebral because they don't have to be. It's the 200-230 pound guys who have to compensate with skills developed post-Cro-Magnon.

ILB

Beau Bell-UNLV, Ezra Butler-Nevada. I'm putting these guys together because they read pretty much same the way.

Why they're Parcells players:

Fast, big and productive, these guys were unstoppable in lesser conferences.

Why they're not:

Neither one of them really has their head screwed on right. Both have marginal instincts and played against pretty bad competition.

Erin Henderson-Maryland

Why he's a Parcells player:

Once again, big, fast and productive.

Why he's not

Doesn't really have the top end athleticism that Parcells likes. Production probably isn't enough to overcome that.

Phillip Wheeler-GA Tech

Big and fast and reasonably productive. Are you tried of hearing this yet? He was one of the top linebackers at the combine.

Why he's not

Athleticism doesn't really translate to the field. Doesn't play strong or fluid.

Jameel McClain-Syracuse

He's huge and he's got great straight line speed. He's a converted defensive end who had a really good year two years ago, and has struggled switching positions and generally just being involved with the Syracuse football program. There's also the Paul Pasqualoni connection.

Why he's not

Pretty much a tweener between any position. Wasn't real productive his senior year and wasn't really that productive the year before that.

Jerod Mayo-Tennessee

He's a clone of Kevin Burnett, who Ireland/Parcells took with Dallas two years ago. He's a little light for the 3-4, but he makes up for it in speed, and he ain't that light. Was a dominant player in the SEC.

Why he's not

A little undersized and has some injury issues.

Jonathan Goff-Vanderbilt

Blew up the combine and was a top performer in almost every category. He was incredibly productive and very smart in the SEC.

Why he's not

Absolutely nobody expected him to put up combine numbers like he did. He didn't look much like an athlete on the field.

OLB

Curtis Gatewood-Vanderbilt

A defensive end in college, he'd be an outside linebacker in the NFL. He has all the tools that you'd look for, very few negatives.

Why he's not

Very, very raw. Didn't play much linebacker at all. Didn't drop into coverage much.

Quentin Groves-Auburn

He has all the tools, all the production, all the everything.

Why he's not

Most of the mocks these days have him going in the mid-late first round. It was pretty encouraging when everyone had him in the second. I don't why you put any defensive end who had a career dominating the SEC outside the first, but that's just me. Also, it's possible that he'd be a little too stiff to play in space.

Chris Ellis-Va Tech

Blazing fast with defensive lineman size. He was productive at Virginia Tech in a system that minimizes defensive lineman stats.

Why he's not

Has a criminal record. Nothing that would scandalize your Aunt Minnie, but nothing that shows great judgement either. He's also a bit light for the outside slot, but nothing to be real concerned about.

Shawn Crable-Michigan

There aren't many players in the draft with the pure numbers of Shawn Crable. He's big, fast and he was a pretty good player for Michigan to boot.

Why he's not:

You tell me. He looks like the very definition of a Parcells linebacker from where I'm sitting.

DE

Pat Sims-Auburn

First round type talent. He's the prototypical defensive end in anyone's system.

Why he's not

Heart may not be in the game. He's a bit raw, probably owing to almost quitting halfway through his career. That said, he doesn't seem to have the same kinds of problems lately.

Kendall Langford-Hampton

He's got the size in particular that you look for in a 3-4 defensive end, or possibly even a 3-4 nose tackle.

Why he's not

Hampton's not exactly the kind of place that tests future NFL prowess.

Jason Jones-Eastern Michigan

Dominated against MAC competition from a DT position. Absolutely has the size and agility to be an NFL player.

Why he's not

His athletic ability allowed him to get through the MAC without really having to work much on technique. He's also a bit understrength for what you'd ideally like from a 3-4 end. In other words, he's a bit of a project.

Kentwaan Balmer-North Carolina

Ideal size for the position. Highly productive his senior year.

Why he's not

Lower body strength and play style may not let him be very effective in the 3-4. May have some motivation issues.

DL

Red Bryant-Texas A&M

Prototypical nose tackle. Huge, strong and active. Why this guy isn't a first round lock, I have no idea. I'm not even going to bother with the Parcells bit here.

Carlton Powell-Va Tech

A run stuffer who could conceivably play either end or NT in the 3-4. The guy isn't explosive like Ellis or Dorsey, but like Bryant, he's a rock when it comes to stuffing the run. Seems to have a lot of potential for growth as well.

I should not here that I'm not really a draft guru. Most of this is cribbed from other sources, although I'm generally reading in between the lines as to whether these guys have the size and skillset for the 3-4.

Shawn Crable-Michigan

There aren't many players in the draft with the pure numbers of Shawn Crable. He's big, fast and he was a pretty good player for Michigan to boot.

Why he's not:

You tell me. He looks like the very definition of a Parcells linebacker from where I'm sitting.

I want this guy sooo bad.

He really is a true sleeper in this draft and I can't figure out why he isn't more highly rated. He's a pure beast and would be great with Harris (teamates at Michigan) in our LB core.

I would love us to pick him up in the later rounds.

I picked this off a Dolphins chat room (they picked it off another site so I guess this qualifies as viral). Its really good. IMO, anyway. Anyway, enjoy ...

3-4 players in the draft

So, the point of this one is just to get a little bit familiar with what kind of players work best in a 3-4, and which players in this draft in particular are best suited for the Parcells system.

Basically what you're looking for in a 3-4 are a mammoth manbeast of a nose tackle, large as you can possibly find, two defensive ends at around 290 whose primary responsibility is run stopping, two outside linebackers who run right around 270 who are mainly pass rushers, and two inside linebackers who are the traditional linebacker size, which is generally within 15 pounds or so of 250. Parcells values speed in his linebackers. He doesn't just draft big guys, he drafts athletes. But that's not to say that he drafts workout warriors. Every one of the linebackers drafted by Dallas was super productive in college. There's no one there who was a reach. That said, he doesn't draft a lot of instinct guys. There's a reason Zach Thomas isn't a Dolphin anymore. I doubt that he's particularly opposed to the idea, but the guys who weigh 260 pounds and run like cornerbacks don't tend to be real cerebral because they don't have to be. It's the 200-230 pound guys who have to compensate with skills developed post-Cro-Magnon.

ILB

Jonathan Goff-Vanderbilt

Blew up the combine and was a top performer in almost every category. He was incredibly productive and very smart in the SEC.

Why he's not

Absolutely nobody expected him to put up combine numbers like he did. He didn't look much like an athlete on the field.

He was All SEC 2 years in a row, who the **** wrote that review.

And no Derrick harvey, this list fails at life

I want this guy sooo bad.

He really is a true sleeper in this draft and I can't figure out why he isn't more highly rated. He's a pure beast and would be great with Harris (teamates at Michigan) in our LB core.

I would love us to pick him up in the later rounds.

Honestly I don't care what Crable did / does at workouts / the combine. On the field he has never looked to me like he could succeed as a 34 OLB. Not once. Never. I'm a Michigan fan, so obviously I watch them a lot even though I live in New Jersey, and Crable has never had that speed to get to the Quarterback while on the field. Never. I'll pass.

What round is Shawn Crable projected in, because I remember watching the Michigan/Florida bowl game and I think if Crable was not in that game, there is no chance that Michigan would have won that game. Crable was an absolute monster in that game, and I am sure who ever selects him will be thrilled to have him, hopefully us... lol

Honestly I don't care what Crable did / does at workouts / the combine. On the field he has never looked to me like he could succeed as a 34 OLB. Not once. Never. I'm a Michigan fan, so obviously I watch them a lot even though I live in New Jersey, and Crable has never had that speed to get to the Quarterback while on the field. Never. I'll pass.

I watch quite a bit of michigan games as well, and somehow i get the exact opposite feeling as you. From watching him I felt he was the PERFECT prospect to be a 3-4 olb. but thats just me.

Kendall Langford-Hampton

He's got the size in particular that you look for in a 3-4 defensive end, or possibly even a 3-4 nose tackle.

Why he's not

Hampton's not exactly the kind of place that tests future NFL prowess.

I hope we can grab this guy in the 4th round, but i really think someone will take him in the 3rd before we get the chance. He has the size and skillset to be a very good 3-4 end.

Erm, what???

From the games I watched Crable he absolutely dominated. Didn't he lead the conference in tackles for a loss last season???

I think he's a real sleeper.

He was All SEC 2 years in a row, who the **** wrote that review.

And no Derrick harvey, this list fails at life

I don't see why you say that. It says: "He was incredibly productive and very smart in the SEC." They just didn't think he'd put up such good numbers at the combine. I didn't see much of Vanderbilt, so I can't comment, but plenty of guys are productive without having their athleticism jump out at you.

The list was more for 3-4 specific players, not top picks. Gholston and Harvey will be the first two DE/OLBs and they will NOT be going to Miami. Everybody knows about them, so why should the guy spend time talking about them?

I don't see why you say that. It says: "He was incredibly productive and very smart in the SEC." They just didn't think he'd put up such good numbers at the combine. I didn't see much of Vanderbilt, so I can't comment, but plenty of guys are productive without having their athleticism jump out at you.

The list was more for 3-4 specific players, not top picks. Gholston and Harvey will be the first two DE/OLBs and they will NOT be going to Miami. Everybody knows about them, so why should the guy spend time talking about them?

Because i'm biased

...hehehe

A guy everyone has had their eye on apparantly has a workout with the NY jets, among other teams.

"North Carolina DT Kentwan Balmer is fully recovered from the hamstring injury he suffered at the Senior Bowl.

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports Balmer will take part in the Tar Heels' Pro Day on April 1. Balmer reportedly has private workouts/visits scheduled with the Eagles, Cowboys, Vikings, and Jets."

Not sure if they are planning on him falling to the second or if they are going to be actively shopping their first pick.

A guy everyone has had their eye on apparantly has a workout with the NY jets, among other teams.

"North Carolina DT Kentwan Balmer is fully recovered from the hamstring injury he suffered at the Senior Bowl.

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports Balmer will take part in the Tar Heels' Pro Day on April 1. Balmer reportedly has private workouts/visits scheduled with the Eagles, Cowboys, Vikings, and Jets."

Not sure if they are planning on him falling to the second or if they are going to be actively shopping their first pick.

Its also quite possible that they want to know what would be available if they were to trade down to pick in the late 1st round...

Archived